PG Joe Toussaint ranked number 2 player in New York City

And other potential recruits are watching. And they tweet. If Cook doesn't develop into an NBA ready player you know where the blame is going to go. And where it isn't. In a way that's unfortunate too.

My dad, who's still with us, used to call Les Jepsen a coaches pet. He said that Davis would get much of the credit for developing him if he could end up simply walking and chewing gum at the same time. If you saw Jepsen his first two years you would have questioned if he would even do that. Jepsen had a solid senior year, caught Don Nelson's eye, and ended up getting drafted. Fran, on the other hand, will get little to no credit in how much he has developed Cook over the years, because some believe he is still strictly an athlete who shown little improvement.
I have an interesting Less Jepsen story. He an I are about the same age. When I was going to school at UND, I would sometimes wear some Iowa Hawkeye gear on campus. People were always asking me if I was Les. I had a chance to talk to Les one time when I was down for an Iowa game with my Dad. I told Les about people asking if I was him, and I said lately I had been telling people yes, and then acting like a real dick, so he should not be surprised if he caught some heat next time he went home. It wasn't true of course, but Les was a little panicked about his reputation back home for a bit.

I see where you are going with the yet-to-be-fully-tapped athleticism angle, but Giannis had crazy perimeter skills in a 7 foot body with massive wingspan. While each could be looked at as a project, the ceiling was so high with Giannis that he was just outside of the lottery even though teams had almost no info on him (drafted at 17 years of age).

Teams have a lot of info on Cook, what he can do, where he needs to improve. I think a good comp for him is this guy:

upload_2019-2-14_11-53-4.png

(edit: sorry, clipped off pts/game in first post)

I think the fully-formed Cook could have an impact on the game in many of the same ways as this player (minus the 3pt shooting, although that element is far from a strength in this player's game either). This player took 4 years of college ball to get there, and even then barely gained a foothold in the NBA. But once he got the foothold, he has been a multi-time All-NBA players.

It is not a tough one, but I will leave it up to y'all to figure out who this is. Hint: he is a couple inches shorter and a few pounds lighter than Cook (but probably with a greater wingspan and less explosiveness), and they play similar positions.

I think ego is Cook's driving force in this decision. He had it in his head this whole time that he wasn't a 4 year player which was a mistake. Now it would almost be like he was a failure in his own eyes if he didn't leave early. It's unfortunate.

yeah, and i don't mean "ego" in a bad way. we all have preconceived ideas about our own abilities. it is as human as breathing. realizing and acknowledging you were wrong about a preconceived idea about oneself is where growth and maturity can take place. i wouldn't fault Cook for leaving due to ego. i've let my ego dictate bad, or less good, decisions in my life. we all have.

Is there any talk about there that Joey T is much better than his prior ratings, etc.? And can be a physically talented diamond in the rough?

Cook will not be NBA ready after this year, nor will Moss. Could they make money in Europe, sure. But they can make money in Europe after next season with a college degree to fall back on. If Cook comes back, it ups his chances for the NBA that much more. And Iowa could start the season as a top 10-15 team at worst. The ride may be fun and worth it to come back???

Cook will not be NBA ready after this year, nor will Moss. Could they make money in Europe, sure. But they can make money in Europe after next season with a college degree to fall back on. If Cook comes back, it ups his chances for the NBA that much more. And Iowa could start the season as a top 10-15 team at worst. The ride may be fun and worth it to come back???
Lots of money $$$ to turn down, and how many "rational voices" will be out there, and will he listen to them? Players get tired of getting paid nothing while the NCAA, coaches, etc. rake in millions.

i would only say that unless these two kids can afford some sort of Lloyds o London insurance policy against career ending injuries, they could be risking even a european pay day. otherwise, i agree they aren't ready yet.

I really hate the phrase "a college degree to fall back on", especially in cases like this. Did you know both can make six figures in Europe? Did you know in Europe, the player can stay in team-supplied housing (which is much better than any college dorm in the US) and get team-supplied transportation (a "company car"). Six figures with your largest expenditures taken care of is a pretty sweet deal. If he stays as long as say Greg Bruner did (9 years), he could come back a financially secure young man.

I'm with you on Pemsl. He brings that passion you like to see but he's not a legit Big Ten starter type. He's a role player at best and there is nothing wrong with that.10-15 mpg should be his ceiling. If he can come off the bench and provide a spark while giving a starter a breather great. If not then he shouldn't be playing significant time. He just doesn't have the explosiveness others have or size like Garza to consistently be a major contributor at this level.
From what I recall from last season, Pemsl has a great knack for filling the block and snagging those much-needed offensive rebounds and getting the easy putbacks when we need them.

From what I recall from last season, Pemsl has a great knack for filling the block and snagging those much-needed offensive rebounds and getting the easy putbacks when we need them.

He certainly has his moments, I won't disagree with that. I love Pemsl and what he can bring but I would just rather have Garza and Nunge getting more minutes over him. Maybe Pemsl will finally come back healthy next year and prove me wrong. I hope it happens, I really do.

i would only say that unless these two kids can afford some sort of Lloyds o London insurance policy against career ending injuries, they could be risking even a european pay day. otherwise, i agree they aren't ready yet.

The NCAA allows schools to put up the money for such policies (I think).

cook could develop his jumper in the g-league or europe if he didn't return to iowa. i'm saying it is unlikely cook returns and a belief in iowa having a legit shot to make an ncaa run next season would, in my view, be the only thing that tugs at cook to come back next year. same with moss. i think it's likely we lose both cook and moss.
I really don't think Cook wants to develop the shot playing for Turkey. Far better at an all-expense paid American university while playing for a FF contender in my opinion.

I really hate the phrase "a college degree to fall back on", especially in cases like this. Did you know both can make six figures in Europe? Did you know in Europe, the player can stay in team-supplied housing (which is much better than any college dorm in the US) and get team-supplied transportation (a "company car"). Six figures with your largest expenditures taken care of is a pretty sweet deal. If he stays as long as say Greg Bruner did (9 years), he could come back a financially secure young man.

Not to mention I'm sure they could get some help finishing their degree online.