PG Joe Toussaint ranked number 2 player in New York City

Again whether it’s smart or dumb isn’t in question, it’s what TC and his camp decide. Every indication we’ve had thus far is this is his last year. I’m not sure why Iowa fans think us having a good season changes that.

I recal RK saying something prior to the season at media day to the tune of - if this is going to be TC’s last season, we really want it to be a good one to send him out.

The reason I think Iowa having a good season matters is because winning is way more fun than losing. The option of coming back and contending for a Big 10 title is way more appealing than the option to come back and be a bottom dweller. I'm by no means saying it will change his mind. I'm just saying there is a huge difference. Enough to persuade a lot of 50/50 guys. Who knows if Cook is one of them. His mindset on being in Iowa this year HAS to be way different than it was last year.

I think many including myself saw the passion he had vs ISU. If he can play with that energy and fills Baer’s Role off the bench, he will be an important player next season.

I just can't see him filling Baer's role. Baer can guard the 3, 4 and 5 while he's in there and can do an adequate job on a 2. He seems to always be in the right place at the right time, until he gets tired. He also has a 3 point touch, which Pemsl has not displayed at all at this level. Baer has better foot speed, quickness and a much better handle than Pemsl. They both play with a lot of passion, but so far in their careers Baer has proven to be more athletic and versatile.

This is the type of PG and distributor that Cook needed to be an absolute monster. If these 2 had played together Cook would have 100 more uncontested dunks.
True. And would have made about 70 of them.

Buh Buh-duh boom *tiiiish*

Pemsl has a high basketball IQ. That’s important IMO because we have a lot of high IQs on this (and next year’s) team. And he loves contact. That’s extremely valuable in the Big 10...especially against WI, MSU and PUR.

My prediction is that the haters are going to flip on JT and say he isn’t a legit PG because he can’t shoot the 3 — all he can do is crossover and drive.
Did you see where he hit the three while being tripled teamed to win a game?

My guess is we redshirt him. Bohannon, Connor, Moss, Dailey, Joe and Fredricks we lose 3 of those guys after next year. Play him a couple games where he can still redshirt for the year but log minutes and then save him would be smart!
But then Connor can play the 1-3 so idk curious to see what Fran does. Big thing for me is keep it at a 9/10 man rotation 13 does not work
No way Joe redshirts.

The reason I think Iowa having a good season matters is because winning is way more fun than losing. The option of coming back and contending for a Big 10 title is way more appealing than the option to come back and be a bottom dweller. I'm by no means saying it will change his mind. I'm just saying there is a huge difference. Enough to persuade a lot of 50/50 guys. Who knows if Cook is one of them. His mindset on being in Iowa this year HAS to be way different than it was last year.

Cook has improved tremendously since last year. He looks like a man among boys in most of the games. He still isn't a great shooter and he turns the ball over to much, but he is a lot of fun to watch. If he came back after the season they had last year, it is possible he might want to come back next year. I think he is just outside of the box to be drafted, but the money overseas would be tough to turn down too.

Did you see where he hit the three while being tripled teamed to win a game?

Just like athe same JT crossover drive breakdown layup against 23 different people, I can do something similar:

“DDThompson” said:
Don’t you recognize hater-bait when you see it?

Cook has improved tremendously since last year. He looks like a man among boys in most of the games. He still isn't a great shooter and he turns the ball over to much, but he is a lot of fun to watch. If he came back after the season they had last year, it is possible he might want to come back next year. I think he is just outside of the box to be drafted, but the money overseas would be tough to turn down too.
Cook, at this point in his career, reminds a bit of a young Greek Freak for the Bucks. No, no, I am not saying they are the same. But there is the raw talent, desire to improve, physical ability, weakness in the jump shot, lethal yet wild driving, but a lot of potential for an NBA team and coaching staff that is patient. I think he has a chance. A hidden gem. If he isn't looked upon as the "go to guy" it will allow him some freedom to do what he does best.

How bout developing a jump shot?

cook could develop his jumper in the g-league or europe if he didn't return to iowa. i'm saying it is unlikely cook returns and a belief in iowa having a legit shot to make an ncaa run next season would, in my view, be the only thing that tugs at cook to come back next year. same with moss. i think it's likely we lose both cook and moss.

I just can't see him filling Baer's role. Baer can guard the 3, 4 and 5 while he's in there and can do an adequate job on a 2. He seems to always be in the right place at the right time, until he gets tired. He also has a 3 point touch, which Pemsl has not displayed at all at this level. Baer has better foot speed, quickness and a much better handle than Pemsl. They both play with a lot of passion, but so far in their careers Baer has proven to be more athletic and versatile.

i agree w/u on this knight. pemsl played a helluva game against isu, but he also knew it was going to be his last game of the season and it was the first game i recall pemsl having that type of motor. but let's say pemsl really does have that kind of motor; he isn't the ball handler, defender, scorer and jump shooter that baer is. we shall see what happens in '20.

i agree w/u on the winning part. i'd also speculate that with all the hype cook had coming in as a FR of being a potential one and done, it's be tough for him to stay 4 seasons. i'd say ego plays a part; which it does for everyone in all aspects of life. but if iowa were to make an elite 8 type run this season, you're idea of winning next season could be a draw for cook AND and reason to stay his 4th season when he "could" have gone pro.

i agree w/u on the winning part. i'd also speculate that with all the hype cook had coming in as a FR of being a potential one and done, it's be tough for him to stay 4 seasons. i'd say ego plays a part; which it does for everyone in all aspects of life. but if iowa were to make an elite 8 type run this season, you're idea of winning next season could be a draw for cook AND and reason to stay his 4th season when he "could" have gone pro.

I think ego is Cook's driving force in this decision. He had it in his head this whole time that he wasn't a 4 year player which was a mistake. Now it would almost be like he was a failure in his own eyes if he didn't leave early. It's unfortunate.

I think ego is Cook's driving force in this decision. He had it in his head this whole time that he wasn't a 4 year player which was a mistake. Now it would almost be like he was a failure in his own eyes if he didn't leave early. It's unfortunate.
And other potential recruits are watching. And they tweet. If Cook doesn't develop into an NBA ready player you know where the blame is going to go. And where it isn't. In a way that's unfortunate too.

My dad, who's still with us, used to call Les Jepsen a coaches pet. He said that Davis would get much of the credit for developing him if he could end up simply walking and chewing gum at the same time. If you saw Jepsen his first two years you would have questioned if he would even do that. Jepsen had a solid senior year, caught Don Nelson's eye, and ended up getting drafted. Fran, on the other hand, will get little to no credit in how much he has developed Cook over the years, because some believe he is still strictly an athlete who shown little improvement.

And other potential recruits are watching. And they tweet. If Cook doesn't develop into an NBA ready player you know where the blame is going to go. And where it isn't. In a way that's unfortunate too.

My dad, who's still with us, used to call Les Jepsen a coaches pet. He said that Davis would get much of the credit for developing him if he could end up simply walking and chewing gum at the same time. If you saw Jepsen his first two years you would have questioned if he would even do that. Jepsen had a solid senior year, caught Don Nelson's eye, and ended up getting drafted. Fran, on the other hand, will get little to no credit in how much he has developed Cook over the years, because some believe he is still strictly an athlete who shown little improvement.
Cook is a high level athlete, with a low level skill level at this point. Where he goes to move up the skill and fundamental scale is important for his future: is it Iowa, is it G league, is it in the NBA, Europe? These are some important decisions he has to make. I hope he listens to the right people. There are lots of "voices" out there when $$$ are swirling about.

Has he been attending class, making academic progress to stay at Iowa next year? That is an important piece of information also. I assume he has and is, but if he has "dropped out" then the decision has already been made.

Cook is a high level athlete, with a low level skill level at this point. Where he goes to move up the skill and fundamental scale is important for his future: is it Iowa, is it G league, is it in the NBA, Europe? These are some important decisions he has to make. I hope he listens to the right people. There are lots of "voices" out there when $$$ are swirling about.

Has he been attending class, making academic progress to stay at Iowa next year? That is an important piece of information also. I assume he has and is, but if he has "dropped out" then the decision has already been made.
Hope he gets the right guidance and listens to the right people.

TJ Hockansen agonized over the decision down to the final day and has admitted he had to shut off the phones and put all the white noise in the background when he was trying to get ready for the Outback bowl.

The other challenge for Cook will be showcasing individual skills down the stretch vs the team concept. The team has put itself in position for a memorable season. Cook is chasing his payday. Lots of pressure on a young 21 year old man. I'm sure he has certain people in his ear, just like Noah Fant had.

Hope he gets the right guidance and listens to the right people.

TJ Hockansen agonized over the decision down to the final day and has admitted he had to shut off the phones and put all the white noise in the background when he was trying to get ready for the Outback bowl.

The other challenge for Cook will be showcasing individual skills down the stretch vs the team concept. The team has put itself in position for a memorable season. Cook is chasing his payday. Lots of pressure on a young 21 year old man. I'm sure he has certain people in his ear, just like Noah Fant had.
He can be a team player.

It does sorta feel that way. I think you articulated that really well. If he could get some more touch and just have a better feel for not only shooting jumpers but also with some of his shots inside the lane. At times it seems like he looses track of where he is on the court and will try shooting those half hooks further out than he should. All this nit picking does overshadowing how he has gotten better though. Dude is a big time handful and one on one he can get to the rim on pretty much anyone.