PG Joe Toussaint ranked number 2 player in New York City

it ain't gonna happen, but i'd sure like to see Cook with 1 season with a pg that can break ankles on the perimeter, get into the lane and then loft a nicely placed lob pass for a TC dunk. this kid is going to mean the world to Garza, going forward.
I am hoping he will have that "snark" that has been lacking in our PG position forever, on defense, and dishing it out. Whether he can shoot or not, isn't that important. There are plenty of shooters to dish to.

If Patrick can redshirt and be a 4 year player, that would be a great streak of having a more polished, stronger, and unique player in the lineup.

It's amazing how much better Cordell Pemsl became in some people's eyes by barely playing this year. Posts in this thread have him projected for rotation minutes. Many last year at this time had him out of the rotation. Many thought he should transfer to a smaller school.

an elite 8 run this season and a desire to return next season to "finish the job" is the only thing i could think of that would get cook to return next season.
Yeah at this point who's to say we don't have a 'magical' run here? That's not an impossibility either. Cook seems to love his teammates and Fran... Coming back to graduate along with all that couldn't be looked at as the worst decision ever for him. I dunno there's aways to go yet so we'll see

It's amazing how much better Cordell Pemsl became in some people's eyes by barely playing this year. Posts in this thread have him projected for rotation minutes. Many last year at this time had him out of the rotation. Many thought he should transfer to a smaller school.
If I were coaching I wouldn’t necessarily give him many minutes, but Fran is the coach and he is likely going to play him.

But I do agree, it seems Cordell playing one game this year and playing well has changed the narrative for him. I still think he’s a little to slow of foot for the 4 position and a little too small for the 5 spot. The problem is when you have him out there with Garza or Kriener, you’re putting yourself way behind the 8 ball in terms of foot speed whether it be man or zone.

Yeah it'll be really interesting to see how he figures in next yr. I think he'll be fighting with Kriener for time. I assume Garza and Nunge will be the bigs to start games. Should have a nice 4some there even if Cook don't come back.

I think many including myself saw the passion he had vs ISU. If he can play with that energy and fills Baer’s Role off the bench, he will be an important player next season.

If I were coaching I wouldn’t necessarily give him many minutes, but Fran is the coach and he is likely going to play him.

But I do agree, it seems Cordell playing one game this year and playing well has changed the narrative for him. I still think he’s a little to slow of foot for the 4 position and a little too small for the 5 spot. The problem is when you have him out there with Garza or Kriener, you’re putting yourself way behind the 8 ball in terms of foot speed whether it be man or zone.

I'm with you on Pemsl. He brings that passion you like to see but he's not a legit Big Ten starter type. He's a role player at best and there is nothing wrong with that.10-15 mpg should be his ceiling. If he can come off the bench and provide a spark while giving a starter a breather great. If not then he shouldn't be playing significant time. He just doesn't have the explosiveness others have or size like Garza to consistently be a major contributor at this level.

I think they really want Pat and Connor to play on the same team with Fran as the coach, and next year might be Connor’s last year with basketball before focusing in on baseball.

That’s purely speculation on my part.

Also, there is nothing to me indicating that Cook is going to return. Everything I heard prior to this season made it sound like this was his last, nothing has been said that would change that. Even if Cook departs, I’d still redshirt Pat.

I would have agreed with you on Cook at the beginning of the year, but the more I watch him this year the clearer it is to me that he's not going to get drafted. I think NBA scouts are going to say he has improved, in some areas impressively, but still needs to improve more to get drafted.

Course if Cook just wants to be done with school and start his professional career he could try to wallow in the G-league I suppose. Seems foolish to me though. Take the Draymond Green route to the NBA.

I am hoping he will have that "snark" that has been lacking in our PG position forever, on defense, and dishing it out. Whether he can shoot or not, isn't that important. There are plenty of shooters to dish to.

If Patrick can redshirt and be a 4 year player, that would be a great streak of having a more polished, stronger, and unique player in the lineup.

But think how much room Cook and Garza have to operate because Bohannon's, Moss', and Wieskamp's men are afraid to wander more than a couple feet from them. That opens up the middle much more than a guard who can penetrate. If he can't shoot, that is an extra defender sitting right in the middle of the lane.

That said, if he can shoot enough to keep his defender honest, then he knows he just has one man to beat before he is running free in the lane.

There is a reason Iowa is 7th in the nation in offensive efficiency right now. Shooting, shooting, shooting...it's where the game is going. Now combine that with guys who can attack the rim (whether off the dribble. screen and dive, or back to basket) as well and you have your 21st century super offense.

I would have agreed with you on Cook at the beginning of the year, but the more I watch him this year the clearer it is to me that he's not going to get drafted. I think NBA scouts are going to say he has improved, in some areas impressively, but still needs to improve more to get drafted.

Course if Cook just wants to be done with school and start his professional career he could try to wallow in the G-league I suppose. Seems foolish to me though. Take the Draymond Green route to the NBA.
He shouldn’t go pro that I agree with. But he’s considered himself an NBA guy all along. He’s hardly be the first guy to go before they are ready.

yes...I am absolutely convinced he will play ahead of Fran's son as the back up point guard. NOT. Connor has struggled a bit lately...but you have to remember...he's really a freshman just like Weiskamp. He hasn't played any real D1 ball until this year. He's got a great handle and he'll battle you...with some physicality. He does one other important thing...he makes free throws. He will be alot better next year too.

I'm not sure whose minutes this kid is going to take...Bohannon...no...Moss...no...Dailey...maybe?

My guess is we redshirt him. Bohannon, Connor, Moss, Dailey, Joe and Fredricks we lose 3 of those guys after next year. Play him a couple games where he can still redshirt for the year but log minutes and then save him would be smart!
But then Connor can play the 1-3 so idk curious to see what Fran does. Big thing for me is keep it at a 9/10 man rotation 13 does not work

Last edited:
He shouldn’t go pro that I agree with. But he’s considered himself an NBA guy all along. He’s hardly be the first guy to go before they are ready.

Speaking of that I see Diamond Stone is still wallowing in the G-league and Melo Trimble is over in Australia?

If Cook returns to Iowa next year, Iowa will be senior heavy and preseason ranked, probably within the top 20. The spotlight would be right on him, he would likely be a preseason all-Big Ten selection with Happ and Bruno gone. He would have an outside chance at B1G POY. I assumed he was gone before this year started but the more I see Iowa's success this year the more I realize how dumb it would be for him to leave.

This is the type of PG and distributor that Cook needed to be an absolute monster. If these 2 had played together Cook would have 100 more uncontested dunks.

Speaking of that I see Diamond Stone is still wallowing in the G-league and Melo Trimble is over in Australia?

If Cook returns to Iowa next year, Iowa will be senior heavy and preseason ranked, probably within the top 20. The spotlight would be right on him, he would likely be a preseason all-Big Ten selection with Happ and Bruno gone. He would have an outside chance at B1G POY. I assumed he was gone before this year started but the more I see Iowa's success this year the more I realize how dumb it would be for him to leave.
Again whether it’s smart or dumb isn’t in question, it’s what TC and his camp decide. Every indication we’ve had thus far is this is his last year. I’m not sure why Iowa fans think us having a good season changes that.

I recal RK saying something prior to the season at media day to the tune of - if this is going to be TC’s last season, we really want it to be a good one to send him out.

Again whether it’s smart or dumb isn’t in question, it’s what TC and his camp decide. Every indication we’ve had thus far is this is his last year. I’m not sure why Iowa fans think us having a good season changes that.

I recal RK saying something prior to the season at media day to the tune of - if this is going to be TC’s last season, we really want it to be a good one to send him out.

I agree. My impression of the recruitment and career of Tyler Cook is that his college years were simply meant to incubate a pro career. It may or may not ever be the big show pro ball, but I believe that almost no matter what, Cook will finish his college career and journey the pro roads after this season.