Petras injury

Just watched the KF interview again at half. He mentioned zip, nothing, nada about an injury. He said Spencer just couldn't play effectively. He said he tried like heck but just couldn't play effectively.

I took his interview to mean Petras was ineffective, as in not getting the job done, and they needed to make a change to get the offense going.
Nice try. You are leaving out some important background. Petras was very limited in practice all week, but he and his coaches decided to give him a shot.
In warm ups, KF observed that Petras did not have his usual speed on the ball. He let him start, but took him out when they saw he was unable to deliver his passes with the speed and precision he typically has. The “ineffective “ was due to his injury. You apparently assumed that term meant Petras was being benched for poor play. KF was saying he was ineffective due to his injury.
So, Bull Shit stands.

KF must’ve known his time in defending his anointed one (Petras) was on thin ice. After seeing Petras double-clutch (hesitancy) throwing left to Goodson in the flat, which made Goodson reach for the ball and loose 1-second of pace, spoiling what that play could’ve been, and not long afterwards throwing into the dirt to the opposite side, I think even KF knew it was time for the switch. Injury or not, Petras’ ineffectiveness mirrored his ineffectiveness in previous games when he wasn’t “injured.”

Injury or not, mediocre to poor play is mostly what I have observed from Petras. Usually he is MIA in the 1st qtr and takes time to "warm up". We have to get better on offense to win meaningful games, and Padilla practicing/starting would allow some chance to do this, Petras, likely not. I've seen this coaching staff trot out the wrong guy a couple times in the past, think they have done it here as well. I've seen enough to know Petras is serviceable at best.

Whether Petras was injured or was just ineffective for whatever reason, Padilla came in and provided some life to the offense. I know it was just one game, but Padilla looked like he has the skills to put Petras on the bench until things go south and maybe they won't. I say Padilla opens up against Minny.

After watching post game player interviews it didn’t appear that they really knew Petras was that injured. Padilla seemed like it was a surprise he was called upon to go in the game. My question is we’re they kept in the dark about seriousness of Petras injury or is Capt Kirk covering up for Petras and his lousy start to the game?
No matter who gets the start next week it is nice to know Alex has made strides to push for starting job.

I think KF has done this in the past when handling veteran players. He's respectful and brings out the injury card. He knows these are young guys.

He doesn't do it often, but he has done it. The past 2 games before NW and the 1st quarter yesterday were not good for Petras. Padilla may not be a world beater, but he's more effective than Petras and that's a word KF used twice at halftime to describe why he put in Padilla.

Bottom line, if Petras was clearly hurt against Wisconsin, he should not have started and/or played yesterday.

Yes, and maybe they are just trying to light a fire to get him going. Agree.

Nice try. You are leaving out some important background. Petras was very limited in practice all week, but he and his coaches decided to give him a shot.
In warm ups, KF observed that Petras did not have his usual speed on the ball. He let him start, but took him out when they saw he was unable to deliver his passes with the speed and precision he typically has. The “ineffective “ was due to his injury. You apparently assumed that term meant Petras was being benched for poor play. KF was saying he was ineffective due to his injury.
So, Bull Shit stands.

If Petras was dinged up and was not at full speed, what the hell was KF doing putting him out there to get hurt even more? You've seen him get sacked several times this year due to the lack of blocking on pass plays. How is this responsible coaching?

Petras healthy may be better than Padilla, but Petras dinged up most certainly is not. I can only say I didn't see anywhere during the week leading up to the game that Petras was injured.

Post game player interviews about not knowing he was injured and Padilla's surprise reaction to going into the game so early didn't help the optics that Petras was hurt.

I'll say it again. If Petras was hurt and not able in pre-game to throw full speed, KF had no business putting him on the field. Not for the sake of winning, but for the kids health.

If Petras was dinged up and was not at full speed, what the hell was KF doing putting him out there to get hurt even more? You've seen him get sacked several times this year due to the lack of blocking on pass plays. How is this responsible coaching?

Petras healthy may be better than Padilla, but Petras dinged up most certainly is not. I can only say I didn't see anywhere during the week leading up to the game that Petras was injured.

Post game player interviews about not knowing he was injured and Padilla's surprise reaction to going into the game so early didn't help the optics that Petras was hurt.

I'll say it again. If Petras was hurt and not able in pre-game to throw full speed, KF had no business putting him on the field. Not for the sake of winning, but for the kids health.
Yup. How many possessions did he play before making the move? 2 or 3? Which was too many. Teams get between like 12 and 20ish possessions a game right? Iowa too often just finds ways to waste them. Be it that or clock management at the end of the half or calling generic running plays on 3rd and 7s not even trying to get the first down. To me there's a lot there to ask the coaches about. I get with a backup QB not wanting to get too aggressive all the time. But he showed some of what he was capable of. Letting him try to convert some of those 3rd downs in the 2nd half woulda been nice..

KF commented that Padilla got reps with the 1's this week for the first time all season because they were unsure Spencer was going to be able to go. If you are insinuating that the staff wasn't prepared or were playing coy don't really follow the program very closely. Dolph discussed it in pregame too.

Just watched the KF interview again at half. He mentioned zip, nothing, nada about an injury. He said Spencer just couldn't play effectively. He said he tried like heck but just couldn't play effectively.

I took his interview to mean Petras was ineffective, as in not getting the job done, and they needed to make a change to get the offense going.

Well if you are quoting Kirk as saying petras "couldnt" play effectively that means something way different than "petras was not playing well" because "couldnt" means there is some other reason for the problem.

Also, coaches before and during games really do not let the opposition know a player is dinged and Fort Kinnick Kirk is very tight lipped.

I go by the post game interview where Kirk described in detail Petras's problems during the week and pre-game and that he was having trouble throwing the ball.

Petras took some vicious shots in the Purdue and Wisconsin games. He's banged up.

It will be interesting to see who starts against the Gophers. It's a very big game. I won't be stunned if he starts Petras, but I think there is more up side with Padilla.

So, do you know what Petras's alleged injury may be? I don't think anybody knows. I also don't think you can assume that the coaches were putting him in harms way. Many players play with certain soreness or dinged up. We don't know with that regard. Maybe they were measuring his effectiveness with it.

I don't think it's fair to assume the coaches were putting him at risk, I guess.

So, do you know what Petras's alleged injury may be? I don't think anybody knows. I also don't think you can assume that the coaches were putting him in harms way. Many players play with certain soreness or dinged up. We don't know with that regard. Maybe they were measuring his effectiveness with it.

I don't think it's fair to assume the coaches were putting him at risk, I guess.

I believe AFTER the game KF said Petras was dinged up and wasn't throwing with the same speed or something to that effect as he usually does. Again, I believe KF said this after the game, so it appears to me he knew Petras was hurting from the week before and wasn't throwing like they know he can.

If so, what I'm saying is it's not responsible to run him out there to risk further injury know how immobile he is.

And no, I don't know the injury. As KF said he wasn't throwing the ball like usual, so it's going to be an arm or should issue.

I believe AFTER the game KF said Petras was dinged up and wasn't throwing with the same speed or something to that effect as he usually does. Again, I believe KF said this after the game, so it appears to me he knew Petras was hurting from the week before and wasn't throwing like they know he can.

If so, what I'm saying is it's not responsible to run him out there to risk further injury know how immobile he is.

Listen, they have trainers and a team physician to help decide that. What I am saying is that if he was injured, they obviously may have thought he could play thru whatever or wanted to measure how effective he would be. Maybe it was some naggy issue and they let Petras have input. Nobody knows.

Again, they have a whole team with a team physician to make that decision.

I seem to remember beathard being run out there with half a leg for most of his season.

I've heard that Petras had very little to no practice in the week leading up to the NW game. I believe he dinged up his shoulder in the Wisconsin game. I felt like the throws he had against NW didn't seem to have much on them.

Latest posts