Petras has thrown 8 interceptions and 1 TD now in last 7 games

KF didn't get to this point in his career, winning all of these games, by being blind and stupid. We all saw Padilla last year. He was no better. Labas allegedly does not know the playbook well enough.

KF played that game out the way that he did because his gut told him that he could win the game with his punter and defense. He went full turtle mode and if you want to hand off 3 times and punt your way through the 4th quarter, you don't switch QBs.

Afterwards, you then say that you support the QB to keep his confidence intact and that everyone has to play better, not just the QB. That is the smart thing for any coach to say.

But, if they get to half of the ISU game and the offense is still not doing a damn thing and the game is not trending as well with defense and special teams, he will give Padilla a shot just to try and gain a spark.

He is not dumb. He is conservative. He has won a lot games being who he is.
You honestly think Labas doesn't know the playbook well enough. We've heard thank before.. KF must recruit dumb people to play qb.KF really believes fans are dumb.

Hawks win despite the regressive and poor play from qb. It is time to get another in whoever it is. I do not see any other qb on the team playing this poorly with this many games under their belt. Great kid, feel bad for his fortune but QBing just isn't his gig.

That is the thing. I was going to start a whole other thread on my view about this QB issue. But, I'll just bump off this and post it in this one.

Seriously, as you elude to, what is the point of not trying another QB? I always thought it was the grasp of the offense and with KF, limiting turnovers. But, as the OP points outs, Petras has many more INT's than TD's. Yes, bad O-line is playing into this, but much of it is on Petras and not being able to make better decisions or throws when given less time. Others may to better at that. Petras hasn't thrown a TD pass since the 2021 Penn St game on Oct. 9th, this other than the one TD against Kentucky in the bowl game. Besides that one TD in the Kentucky game, he hasn't thrown a TD in the last 6 games. He's had 8 INT's since that game.

Why wouldn't you try some else. It seriously cannot get any worse. It is AT LEAST a push, but maybe the ceiling is just a bit better with someone else. Maybe they make a bit quicker reads or can extend the play a bit with their legs. Maybe there is an attribute they might have dealing with porous line play.

My gawd, it might be even better taking that chance and living with a couple turnovers, BECAUSE YOU ARE ANYWAY! Hell, with Iowa's defense, you might as well take that chance, along with Taylor's punting. Why the hell not take that chance, IMO!

Last edited:
Padilla was somehow worse when he got his chances. Show us Labas.

Last year he wasn't initially. I think his first start he had a couple good drives. I remember thinking he had a quicker read and got the ball out faster. He did decline though the longer he was given. Hell, all Iowa QB's decline over time, it seems.

But, we are to the point that why not take that chance. AT WORST, it's only going to be a push.

They don’t go against Iowa’s #1 defense because it’s nothing like a game situation. Petras isn’t allowed to get hit, and it’s not full speed because they don’t want guys to get hurt. It’s not loud. There’s no national TV audience. There’s no opposing linebackers talking shit.

It’s a whole lot easier to be a QB when you know no one is going to run you over.

The, “he practices well” spiel is complete bull shit and anyone who’s coached at HS on up knows it. I have guys who can rip gappers all day long in scrimmages and turn double plays no sweat in practice, but when they’re in a game they feeeze. It’s the same in football, and it’s the same in college. Some guys are wonderful practice queens but when the pressure of a game gets there they can’t stomach it and they choke. Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras are both examples of that, and KF’s old man pride won’t let him admit it.

Remember Oglesby. All we heard when watching b-ball games was how he just knocked em' down in practice and just lit it up in practice. Just sayin' to your point.

Never saw it in a game. Yea, it's a real thing as you point out.

I agree that the QB play was bad. But to ignore the O-Line play and say it doesn't fall on their shoulders, that's not true. They played pretty bad and it contributed to a horrible day for the offense.

It definitely goes hand and hand, but Petras obviously does not make quick reads or really have the ability to make quick reads and passes. He also doesn't seem to have best pocket presence at times. Another QB may do better with a couple of those things. I think that's all people are saying. It's to the point where you have nothing to lose.

You honestly think Labas doesn't know the playbook well enough. We've heard thank before.. KF must recruit dumb people to play qb.KF really believes fans are dumb.
I honestly don't know. I am not in practice with these kids everyday. What little we have seen of Labas has not been electrifying. No one in the staff or players has suggested that he is all that close in his performance to the other two.

While KF has been slow to play younger QBs and switch QBs in the past, he has, in fact done both. If Labas were a better option to consider, he would consider it.

The sad truth, gents, is that it appears we just have a bad QB room.

Plus, they've dumbed down the playbook for Petras, who is in his 5th year. I agree. You can't tell me Labas can't run a simplified system to at least match the simplified system for Petras? C'mon Ferentz. At least another QB might have a couple attributes to help the offense, even with living thru mistakes. It's to that point.

I honestly don't know. I am not in practice with these kids everyday. What little we have seen of Labas has not been electrifying. No one in the staff or players has suggested that he is all that close in his performance to the other two.

While KF has been slow to play younger QBs and switch QBs in the past, he has, in fact done both. If Labas were a better option to consider, he would consider it.

The sad truth, gents, is that it appears we just have a bad QB room.
Still wonder what the other guys would do under the pressure of a live game. Hell I sometimes wonder if a guy that knew a pass play from a run play could react and throw to open guys better than the guy that knows every play down to a tee (current starter). This intimate knowledge of the playbook does not appear on the surface to give him any advantage at all.

Still wonder what the other guys would do under the pressure of a live game. Hell I sometimes wonder if a guy that knew a pass play from a run play could react and throw to open guys better than the guy that knows every play down to a tee (current starter). This intimate knowledge of the playbook does not appear on the surface to give him any advantage at all.

Exactly, this tunnel vision of having to have the QB know the offense to that granular of a level may be the negative here. In addition, the QB's play tight because they don't want to make mistakes. I think it really suppresses the abilities of some players. I'm sure KF is oblivious to this as he intends well, but it obviously is collateral damage to that position at Iowa.

KF didn't get to this point in his career, winning all of these games, by being blind and stupid. We all saw Padilla last year. He was no better. Labas allegedly does not know the playbook well enough.

KF played that game out the way that he did because his gut told him that he could win the game with his punter and defense. He went full turtle mode and if you want to hand off 3 times and punt your way through the 4th quarter, you don't switch QBs.

Afterwards, you then say that you support the QB to keep his confidence intact and that everyone has to play better, not just the QB. That is the smart thing for any coach to say.

But, if they get to half of the ISU game and the offense is still not doing a damn thing and the game is not trending as well with defense and special teams, he will give Padilla a shot just to try and gain a spark.

He is not dumb. He is conservative. He has won a lot games being who he is.
Well, they did say that Brian simplified the playbook for Petras, so why not go with the guy with more talent. Remember, Kirk hid Brad Banks behind a more "experienced" Kyle McCann even though Banks had infinitely more talent and proved that the next year by being the Heisman runner-up. Not that we know Labas' talent, but it has to be more than Petras

I agree with the rest of your post, but quite frankly this is exactly why they needed to get a transfer QB last year. I honestly just think it's unfair to the defense for them to have literally everything put on their plate in order to win. People were saying the defense outscored the offense 4-3 on the weekend. That's not true. The defense scored 7. The drive leading to the field goal was set up by the defense. It was a 6 yard drive or something. The offense was not needed to score that field goal. They could have just kicked it on 1st down.

Well, they did say that Brian simplified the playbook for Petras, so why not go with the guy with more talent. Remember, Kirk hid Brad Banks behind a more "experienced" Kyle McCann even though Banks had infinitely more talent and proved that the next year by being the Heisman runner-up. Not that we know Labas' talent, but it has to be more than Petras
The thing about Banks is that no one knows if he was ready and would have been great when he was backing up McCann. He came in and showed flashes, but you can't say if KF benches McCann and puts Banks in if Banks doesn't lay an egg because he was not ready. After he got his feet wet, he then had a full offseason and camp as the starter. Maybe he needed that time to be ready. There is no way to know. And, let's not forget that Banks played behind a historically good offensive line, one of best RB of the KF era, and played with the greatest TE in school history. Look what Joe would be walking into....

My point is that even there, Banks was young and raw, but he saw the field as a back up. KF transitioned Stanzi and CJ into the game from backups because he ultimately saw they were better. But, just because they were ultimately better does not mean they were ready to be a starter their first year on campus. Everyone gets it at different times. Labas may be a baller, but he just may not be ready right now.

That is a great comparison. Spot on.

The thing about Banks is that no one knows if he was ready and would have been great when he was backing up McCann. He came in and showed flashes, but you can't say if KF benches McCann and puts Banks in if Banks doesn't lay an egg because he was not ready. After he got his feet wet, he then had a full offseason and camp as the starter. Maybe he needed that time to be ready. There is no way to know. And, let's not forget that Banks played behind a historically good offensive line, one of best RB of the KF era, and played with the greatest TE in school history. Look what Joe would be walking into....

My point is that even there, Banks was young and raw, but he saw the field as a back up. KF transitioned Stanzi and CJ into the game from backups because he ultimately saw they were better. But, just because they were ultimately better does not mean they were ready to be a starter their first year on campus. Everyone gets it at different times. Labas may be a baller, but he just may not be ready right now.
All good points but can any of the backups be as bad as what we have seen over the past 8 games? 1 td and 8 picks, missing open guys, looking like a deer in the headlights? Padilla we did not see enough of to make that judgement, and things might be a bit different the 2nd time around, dunno. Maybe we are that bad overall in the QB slot, and that is truly sad. If we've seen the best already, yikes.

I'd take Kyle McCann today in a heartbeat.
How very sad but very true. When you look at his stats, he actually wasn't terrible. But I just remember all of the stupid mistakes that lead to losses. Kinda like Stanley, overthrowing a wide open Hockensen against Wisconsin and many other missed easy throws that lead to an L. But McCann was at least pretty accurate on throws under 20yds. He wasn't mobile or athletic and his deep ball was sketchy, but he'd still be head and shoulders above Petras.

McCann 2001
G. Comp. Att. Pct. Yds Y/A AY/A TD. INT. Rating

Banks 2002
G. Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD. INT. Rating

Petras 2021

Last edited:
I realized over a decade ago, barring absolutely no other alternative - when and ONLY when his hand is forced by circumstances beyond his control - the following are immutable facts ...
- KF is biased against young skill players - especially QB - as being too inexperienced and mistake prone.
- KF is risk-averse and inherently follows the dogma of experience trumps talent.
- KF inherently follows the dogma of rewarding tenure over future development of player or program.
- On the extraordinarily rare occasion when KF is willing to allow young talent an opportunity, the exceedingly short leash ends in a noose, creating an overwhelmingly high-pressure / low-support situation in which to perform. When the "inevitable" mistake occurs, the opportunities end until the off-season. This deliberately allows KF to appease the howls but save face with an "I told you so."

I'm sure many could list many more; I certainly have over the years. But these are the fundamental factors driving KF's coaching philosophy and the foundation on which Iowa football is based, as far as personnel use and development.

The only thing KF hates more than willingly (unnecessarily, in his psyche) violating his dogma is mistakes resulting in turnovers. That's the only real head-scratcher here. How can he continue to justify a QB with progressively deteriorating, mistake-prone performances who averages 2.6 interceptions vs 3.4 TDs for every 100 attempts (not even factoring the numerous lost scoring opportunities due to the awful incompletions which are 100% on Petras)??

The only explanations I can come up with are:
1) KF knows his OL has been atrocious, going on the 4th consecutive year, now, relieving some of the blame off Petras.
2) Every other QB is really, really bad.
3) See dogmas, above.

How very sad but very true. When you look at his stats, he actually wasn't terrible. But I just remember all of the stupid mistakes that lead to losses. Kinda like Stanley, overthrowing a wide open Hockensen against Wisconsin and many other missed easy throws that lead to an L. But McCann was at least pretty accurate on throws under 20yds. He wasn't mobile or athletic and his deep ball was sketchy, but he'd still be head and shoulders above Petras.

McCann 2001
G. Comp. Att. Pct. Yds Y/A AY/A TD. INT. Rating

Banks 2002
G. Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD. INT. Rating

Petras 2021

I think McCann has the 3rd highest single-season rating under KF (Stanzi '10 is #1, Banks is #2, McCann is #3).

Latest posts