Petras has thrown 8 interceptions and 1 TD now in last 7 games

I realized over a decade ago, barring absolutely no other alternative - when and ONLY when his hand is forced by circumstances beyond his control - the following are immutable facts ...
- KF is biased against young skill players - especially QB - as being too inexperienced and mistake prone.
- KF is risk-averse and inherently follows the dogma of experience trumps talent.
- KF inherently follows the dogma of rewarding tenure over future development of player or program.
- On the extraordinarily rare occasion when KF is willing to allow young talent an opportunity, the exceedingly short leash ends in a noose, creating an overwhelmingly high-pressure / low-support situation in which to perform. When the "inevitable" mistake occurs, the opportunities end until the off-season. This deliberately allows KF to appease the howls but save face with an "I told you so."

I'm sure many could list many more; I certainly have over the years. But these are the fundamental factors driving KF's coaching philosophy and the foundation on which Iowa football is based, as far as personnel use and development.

The only thing KF hates more than willingly (unnecessarily, in his psyche) violating his dogma is mistakes resulting in turnovers. That's the only real head-scratcher here. How can he continue to justify a QB with progressively deteriorating, mistake-prone performances who averages 2.6 interceptions vs 3.4 TDs for every 100 attempts (not even factoring the numerous lost scoring opportunities due to the awful incompletions which are 100% on Petras)??

The only explanations I can come up with are:
1) KF knows his OL has been atrocious, going on the 4th consecutive year, now, relieving some of the blame off Petras.
2) Every other QB is really, really bad.
3) See dogmas, above.
Sadly, you may be right.

I honestly don't know. I am not in practice with these kids everyday. What little we have seen of Labas has not been electrifying. No one in the staff or players has suggested that he is all that close in his performance to the other two.

While KF has been slow to play younger QBs and switch QBs in the past, he has, in fact done both. If Labas were a better option to consider, he would consider it.

The sad truth, gents, is that it appears we just have a bad QB room.
Wasn’t he getting some rave reviews for his performance at practice last season? He practically ran Deuce out of town (glass half full take and completely ignoring that the guy was almost certainly upset that he never got a chance after Padilla stunk it up and Kirk being a dick in that presser, here).

I realized over a decade ago, barring absolutely no other alternative - when and ONLY when his hand is forced by circumstances beyond his control - the following are immutable facts ...
- KF is biased against young skill players - especially QB - as being too inexperienced and mistake prone.
- KF is risk-averse and inherently follows the dogma of experience trumps talent.
- KF inherently follows the dogma of rewarding tenure over future development of player or program.
- On the extraordinarily rare occasion when KF is willing to allow young talent an opportunity, the exceedingly short leash ends in a noose, creating an overwhelmingly high-pressure / low-support situation in which to perform. When the "inevitable" mistake occurs, the opportunities end until the off-season. This deliberately allows KF to appease the howls but save face with an "I told you so."

I'm sure many could list many more; I certainly have over the years. But these are the fundamental factors driving KF's coaching philosophy and the foundation on which Iowa football is based, as far as personnel use and development.

The only thing KF hates more than willingly (unnecessarily, in his psyche) violating his dogma is mistakes resulting in turnovers. That's the only real head-scratcher here. How can he continue to justify a QB with progressively deteriorating, mistake-prone performances who averages 2.6 interceptions vs 3.4 TDs for every 100 attempts (not even factoring the numerous lost scoring opportunities due to the awful incompletions which are 100% on Petras)??

1) KF knows his OL has been atrocious, going on the 4th consecutive year, now, relieving some of the blame off Petras.
3) See dogmas, above.
I just don't think it's that simple.

3) See dogmas, above.

You luv the word dogmas, don't ya?

KF didn't get to this point in his career, winning all of these games, by being blind and stupid. We all saw Padilla last year. He was no better. Labas allegedly does not know the playbook well enough.

KF played that game out the way that he did because his gut told him that he could win the game with his punter and defense. He went full turtle mode and if you want to hand off 3 times and punt your way through the 4th quarter, you don't switch QBs.

Afterwards, you then say that you support the QB to keep his confidence intact and that everyone has to play better, not just the QB. That is the smart thing for any coach to say.

But, if they get to half of the ISU game and the offense is still not doing a damn thing and the game is not trending as well with defense and special teams, he will give Padilla a shot just to try and gain a spark.

He is not dumb. He is conservative. He has won a lot games being who he is.
Dovetails with a comment I made after the game. Once Kirk and Brian think they have enough points, whatever that number is, they are going to be super conservative. Heck, they probably weren't even too upset with the fumble, because it left the Jackrabbits in worse field position than a kickoff return would have.

The only way it will change is if the rules makers decide to get rid of the "shot clock" and force teams with the lead in the fourth quarter to go for it on fourth down. And thwt will never happen, unless TV networks demand it like they sort of did with basketball in the early 1980's

Last edited:
From Dochterman's recent article in the athletic (paywall):

During the past nine games, Iowa has scored more than one offensive touchdown in a game just three times. That the Hawkeyes are 5-4 in those nine games is a minor miracle and a testament to their defense and special teams, which have recorded three touchdowns and three safeties during that span.

The passing game’s portion of that nine-game sequence is mired between unproductive and nonexistent. Petras, a senior who missed nearly three full games after a shoulder injury and parts of three others, has thrown one touchdown and eight interceptions during that span. Alex Padilla, a junior who started three games and finished up three others, threw two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Of the 11 offensive scores during those nine games, Padilla generated six touchdowns and Petras five. Their completion percentages were similar — Petras 51 percent, Padilla 50 percent — while Iowa receivers dropped 11 of Padilla’s passes and only four from Petras.

During the past nine games, Iowa has scored more than one offensive touchdown in a game just three times. That the Hawkeyes are 5-4 in those nine games is a minor miracle and a testament to their defense and special teams, which have recorded three touchdowns and three safeties during that span.

The passing game’s portion of that nine-game sequence is mired between unproductive and nonexistent. Petras, a senior who missed nearly three full games after a shoulder injury and parts of three others, has thrown one touchdown and eight interceptions during that span. Alex Padilla, a junior who started three games and finished up three others, threw two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Of the 11 offensive scores during those nine games, Padilla generated six touchdowns and Petras five. Their completion percentages were similar — Petras 51 percent, Padilla 50 percent — while Iowa receivers dropped 11 of Padilla’s passes and only four from Petras.
Ouch.

So very roughly, Petras has led what, twice as many drives as Padilla? Three times as many? Yet Padilla has generated more TD drives. Sort of mind-boggling that Padilla wouldn't at least be given a bunch of possessions to see if he could improve the offense's productivity. That stat would also seem to counter the narrative that Petras is better at getting Iowa into "the right play."

So very roughly, Petras has led what, twice as many drives as Padilla? Three times as many? Yet Padilla has generated more TD drives. Sort of mind-boggling that Padilla wouldn't at least be given a bunch of possessions to see if he could improve the offense's productivity. That stat would also seem to counter the narrative that Petras is better at getting Iowa into "the right play."

Or better at "not making mistakes"

Kirk might consider the MIchigan experiment. Give Padilla a commitment of a full game against Iowa State (and maybe Labas against Nevada). Make a decision on the starter prior to the B10 opener.

At least we know we will get 5 minute real time breaks every time the offense hits the field. Do a quick chore then watch Taylor punt and the defense dominate, then do the next chore while the offense is on the field.
Quick chores...

That's good stuff.

How do you justify starting and playing Petras. It's mind-boggling. Don't tell me the KFz "union card" doesn't still exist.

So - after reading CP87's indictment, err - post ... I think it is that simple.
I think CP is spot on. However, I think biases, stubbornness and such are at this point are being naive. Think back to Doyle, Rastsetter, BF, some things Fry won't let us talk about, QBs used, QB's dads...

Even Nepotism may be naive in describing the situation.

If you were say a "reasonable" Purdue or Wisky fan (I had trouble thinking of reasonable fan bases in conference) what would go through your mind about Iowa?

I don't really know how to describe it but I've been around the block of life enough to recognize red flags.

Latest posts