Petras has thrown 8 interceptions and 1 TD now in last 7 games

jawdoc

Wtf…is this seriously happening?…yes yes it is. I sat 40yrd line front row behind sdsu bench at todays game- their D line was mocking him talking towards us hawk fans “little boy doesnt even belong out there”- who can argue.
Iowa- tight end u…where QBs go to die

What’s sad is he’s making the same mistakes he’s made in years past. He still stares down wide receivers, he doesn’t know when to get rid of the ball, and he’s still over throwing receivers.

min starting to think he’s got revealing pics of KF making out with a coed. KFs excuses to keep playing him don’t add up.

Hawks win despite the regressive and poor play from qb. It is time to get another in whoever it is. I do not see any other qb on the team playing this poorly with this many games under their belt. Great kid, feel bad for his fortune but QBing just isn't his gig.
Convert him to long snapper. I genuinely do not think he has the athleticism or ability to play any other position at the collegiate level. I'd love to be able to say that a QB with two full years of experience has value as a backup QB, but I don't think he does.

Convert him to long snapper. I genuinely do not think he has the athleticism or ability to play any other position at the collegiate level. I'd love to be able to say that a QB with two full years of experience has value as a backup QB, but I don't think he does.
About his athleticism, on his roll outs he was getting run down by Defensive tackles and he had a head start. Slow as (insert something very slow here).

What do the coaches see in practice when these guys go against Iowa 1 defense? Surely they are worse than what we saw yesterday,

What do the coaches see in practice when these guys go against Iowa 1 defense? Surely they are worse than what we saw yesterday,

To be fair, it's a good defense.
And, in theory, nobody knows our offense better than our defense.

Except maybe Pat Fitzgerald.

So, who knows. <shrug>

Petras is going to be the QB for every snap this year unless he’s injured, and Brian will be the OC until he doesn’t want to be.

Those are both facts. I hate it, but those are facts.

If you can’t handle that, Hawkeye football might not be for you this year. It’s going to be a very bumpy, very angry ride this season.

But please spare fellow posters with the “Why is Petras still the starter,” and “Why does Brian have a job” questions. We all know the answer to both and nothing is going to change, period. This is the Hawkeye team and playbook we are stuck with, love it or not.

Petras is going to be the QB for every snap this year unless he’s injured, and Brian will be the OC until he doesn’t want to be.

If you can’t handle that, Hawkeye football might not be for you this year. It’s going to be a very bumpy, very angry ride this season.

But please spare fellow posters with the “Why is Petras still the starter,” and “Why does Brian have a job” questions. We all know the answer to both and nothing is going to change, period. This is the Hawkeye team and playbook we are stuck with, love it or not.
Well, wait! Hear me out! Maybe Ferentz will read this board and think to himself, “These message board postings are too significant to ignore! I’m going to change QB’s and offensive philosophies. And it was because of the volume of posts asking why I haven’t changed.” Seems logical.

At least we know we will get 5 minute real time breaks every time the offense hits the field. Do a quick chore then watch Taylor punt and the defense dominate, then do the next chore while the offense is on the field.

They don’t go against Iowa’s #1 defense because it’s nothing like a game situation. Petras isn’t allowed to get hit, and it’s not full speed because they don’t want guys to get hurt. It’s not loud. There’s no national TV audience. There’s no opposing linebackers talking shit.

It’s a whole lot easier to be a QB when you know no one is going to run you over.

The, “he practices well” spiel is complete bull shit and anyone who’s coached at HS on up knows it. I have guys who can rip gappers all day long in scrimmages and turn double plays no sweat in practice, but when they’re in a game they feeeze. It’s the same in football, and it’s the same in college. Some guys are wonderful practice queens but when the pressure of a game gets there they can’t stomach it and they choke. Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras are both examples of that, and KF’s old man pride won’t let him admit it.

Unfortunately we gonna waste more time playing Spencer when we'll be swapping out at some point. Imo, we'd be better served ripping the band aid off and moving

ahead.

They don’t go against Iowa’s #1 defense because it’s nothing like a game situation. Petras isn’t allowed to get hit, and it’s not full speed because they don’t want guts to get hurt. It’s not loud. There’s no national TV audience. There’s no opposing linebackers talking shit.

It’s a whole lot easier to be a QB when you know no one is going to run you over.

The, “he practices well” spiel is complete bull shit and anyone who’s coached at HS on up knows it. I have guys who can rip gappers all day long in scrimmages and turn double plays no sweat in practice, but when they’re in a game they feeeze. It’s the same in football, and it’s the same in college. Some guys are wonderful practice queens but when the pressure of a game gets there they can’t stomach it and they choke. Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras are both examples of that, and KF’s old man pride won’t let him admit it.
A corollary to this is some players are 'gamers'. Not the best in practice, but somehow turn it up a notch during games and make plays.
Unfortunately, one of the biggest flaws in the Ferentz system is resistance to make changes when things are not going well. This often keeps these players on the sidelines while sticking too long with the incumbent regardless of their game day performance.

All of this is probably true but I need a place to bitch about it.

IF we repeat that offensive performance vs. ISU, and we lose 9-3...something's gotta give, right? He is stubborn, but everyone has a line.

It really sucks, really sucks, but you are right. We are stuck with this shit-show on offense because of the goodwill Daddy (and others on his staff) has earned everywhere else.

Latest posts