Petras has thrown 8 interceptions and 1 TD now in last 7 games

IF we repeat that offensive performance vs. ISU, and we lose 9-3...something's gotta give, right? He is stubborn, but everyone has a line.
Nope. The only reason we saw Padilla was Petras got hurt. Padilla didn’t lose any ballgames but still got replaced by Petras again. I’m 98.4% convinced Petras or Petra’s’ family has some sort of dirt or photos that Kurt doesn’t want made public.

IF we repeat that offensive performance vs. ISU, and we lose 9-3...something's gotta give, right? He is stubborn, but everyone has a line.
Half time at Iowa State. That game is personal for Father and Son™. I do not believe that even they are stubborn enough to not make the change if necessary next next week. The only conceivable way that I can describe the choices made this weekend is that they were confident SDSU couldn't score short of a bad turnover (they were right, thanks Petras!) so rest everyone even remotely banged up and get on to ClownU 1-0, no matter how ugly. All will be forgiven with any semblance of an offense next week. I hope that was the rationale.

Nope. The only reason we saw Padilla was Petras got hurt. Padilla didn’t lose any ballgames but still got replaced by Petras again. I’m 98.4% convinced Petras or Petra’s’ family has some sort of dirt or photos that Kurt doesn’t want made public.
Oh please. Don’t start this stuff.

They don’t go against Iowa’s #1 defense because it’s nothing like a game situation. Petras isn’t allowed to get hit, and it’s not full speed because they don’t want guys to get hurt. It’s not loud. There’s no national TV audience. There’s no opposing linebackers talking shit.

It’s a whole lot easier to be a QB when you know no one is going to run you over.

The, “he practices well” spiel is complete bull shit and anyone who’s coached at HS on up knows it. I have guys who can rip gappers all day long in scrimmages and turn double plays no sweat in practice, but when they’re in a game they feeeze. It’s the same in football, and it’s the same in college. Some guys are wonderful practice queens but when the pressure of a game gets there they can’t stomach it and they choke. Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras are both examples of that, and KF’s old man pride won’t let him admit it.
Maybe they just need some
They don’t go against Iowa’s #1 defense because it’s nothing like a game situation. Petras isn’t allowed to get hit, and it’s not full speed because they don’t want guys to get hurt. It’s not loud. There’s no national TV audience. There’s no opposing linebackers talking shit.

It’s a whole lot easier to be a QB when you know no one is going to run you over.

The, “he practices well” spiel is complete bull shit and anyone who’s coached at HS on up knows it. I have guys who can rip gappers all day long in scrimmages and turn double plays no sweat in practice, but when they’re in a game they feeeze. It’s the same in football, and it’s the same in college. Some guys are wonderful practice queens but when the pressure of a game gets there they can’t stomach it and they choke. Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras are both examples of that, and KF’s old man pride won’t let him admit it.
Maybe he needs some CBD infused gummies to relax

Petras is going to be the QB for every snap this year unless he’s injured, and Brian will be the OC until he doesn’t want to be.

Those are both facts. I hate it, but those are facts.

If you can’t handle that, Hawkeye football might not be for you this year. It’s going to be a very bumpy, very angry ride this season.

But please spare fellow posters with the “Why is Petras still the starter,” and “Why does Brian have a job” questions. We all know the answer to both and nothing is going to change, period. This is the Hawkeye team and playbook we are stuck with, love it or not.

Blunt, but truthful post. Damn it!

Defense will have carry the team and score.

Sold out at all home games. Nothing is going to change. I say screw it and play the freshman QB and plan for the future. He is likely to play next year anyways. Unfortunately None of us have any say, and the powers that be feel the offense just needs to be a clock consumption entity.

Usually that can mean seven or eight wins a year, BUT that is when you have a pretty good offensive line and your can run the ball fairly well. Maybe by the end of the year the offensive line will finally develop enough to make room for our running backs and open up the play action passes. Right now we are not there. Could be painful to watch until we get there.

I’ve heard good things on the freshman QB. Would be sad to see him enter the portal. Could you blame him. He may or may not start next season. Hopefully he sticks it out and patiently waits.

Kirks loyalty is so GD frustrating. Im sure we all remember Rudock vs Tenessee bowl game and the quick announcement Beathard was our guy going fwd. Now that the transfer portal rule is completely different we are going to lose a lot of guys not just a quarterback because he is so fudging stubborn…Charlie anyone
Yup kf decides when kf is done…BF not done until Daddy is done. Barta is the lynchpin in this whole thing and selling out kinnick= no changes

The abysmal QB play doesn't belong on the O lines shoulders. That is coaching staff choosing players, choosing offensive philosophy, and coaching the players within this philosophy. Wash and repeat, year upon year.

The abysmal QB play doesn't belong on the O lines shoulders. That is coaching staff choosing players, choosing offensive philosophy, and coaching the players within this philosophy. Wash and repeat, year upon year.
I agree that the QB play was bad. But to ignore the O-Line play and say it doesn't fall on their shoulders, that's not true. They played pretty bad and it contributed to a horrible day for the offense.

I agree that the QB play was bad. But to ignore the O-Line play and say it doesn't fall on their shoulders, that's not true. They played pretty bad and it contributed to a horrible day for the offense.
This is true, and an obvious issue. It looked to me like the staff treated this game a an extension of training camp for the OL. Even so, Petras was unable to throw the ball consistently even when the offensive line held up. He had open receivers and generally couldn't hit them.

KF didn't get to this point in his career, winning all of these games, by being blind and stupid. We all saw Padilla last year. He was no better. Labas allegedly does not know the playbook well enough.

KF played that game out the way that he did because his gut told him that he could win the game with his punter and defense. He went full turtle mode and if you want to hand off 3 times and punt your way through the 4th quarter, you don't switch QBs.

Afterwards, you then say that you support the QB to keep his confidence intact and that everyone has to play better, not just the QB. That is the smart thing for any coach to say.

But, if they get to half of the ISU game and the offense is still not doing a damn thing and the game is not trending as well with defense and special teams, he will give Padilla a shot just to try and gain a spark.

He is not dumb. He is conservative. He has won a lot games being who he is.

Latest posts