Peter Jok last two nights

Jok continues to lead Iowa Class 4A in scoring (23.9ppg), is hitting 46.3% from three with the second most three point field goals made in the class (19), hitting 88.9% from FT line on 7th most attempts (meaning he is driving).

Jok continues to lead Iowa Class 4A in scoring (23.9ppg), is hitting 46.3% from three with the second most three point field goals made in the class (19), hitting 88.9% from FT line on 7th most attempts (meaning he is driving).

I actually think that the college game will suit Jok's game very well. His ability to create his own shot with the side step or step back along with more space will be very good for his game. I actually believe that we're going to get a very special player in Peter. Adding he and Uthoff next year is going to make for a special team to say the least.

Jok scored 194 points in 19 games last year...has 167 in 7 games this year...made 22 treys all of last year, 19 this year. He is getting healthy.

Rick Brown of the DMR tweeted at me that Fran watched Jok this past weekend and told Jok to tighten up his ball handling.

Rick Brown of the DMR tweeted at me that Fran watched Jok this past weekend and told Jok to tighten up his ball handling.

Jok can get too upright on the dribble. Needs more knee flex to get lower and protect the ball. I think that this could be another side effect of the knee injury. When your knees hurt it is hard to get into the proper stance whether it be to dribble low and in control or on defense (another of Peter's weaknesses).

I have one question...how is Fran going to handle minutes next year. Throw in Ingram, Jok, Uthoff, and the kid from Georgia that is redshirting and you have four more guys looking for minutes. You lose May. How the hell can you keep them happy?

I have one question...how is Fran going to handle minutes next year. Throw in Ingram, Jok, Uthoff, and the kid from Georgia that is redshirting and you have four more guys looking for minutes. You lose May. How the hell can you keep them happy?

Good teams have these kind of issues.

Bingo, we have a winner...

you win

a lot

This is what actual good teams deal with on a regular basis. The best programs get kids to stick around for a payoff of playing time down the road. Not really worried about getting Meyer into the rotation next year as no one ahead of him is leaving. McCabe and Basabe will be gone by the time he is a redshirt sophomore, which is when he could expect to get regular playing time (unless he improves exponentially in his redshirt year. In that year Iowa will still have Woodbury, White, Olaseni and Uthoff who could play the 4-5 spots, so he could be ready for the role Olaseni has this year by that time.

Ingram could conceivably take the minutes May is getting. Unless Jok forces his way into the rotation, which given his size and skill set, could easily happen.

Keep Ingram and Olesani on the bench. Probably make room for McCabe too. If they don't liek it, they can take their talents to a mid-major.

Keep Ingram and Olesani on the bench. Probably make room for McCabe too. If they don't liek it, they can take their talents to a mid-major.

No faith in Ingram? I agree though that McCabe will probably see more bench next year (which is a good thing).

Like who?

Kansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kansas St, Louisville, Marquette, many others.
Horner was getting calls from a lot of high major schools. They were waiting, though, to see what he did this summer and this winter post-injury.

Iowa got the commit before Jok could officially prove he could play ball at a high level post-injury.

Hence, steal.

He won't be able to keep them all happy. Could some choose to leave? Sure. That happens. I think these guys were told they'd have a chance to come in and compete for time and time was there to be had...Fran has just assembled a roster that is longer on talent, in three years of recruiting, than I would have expected. So the battles for time are going to be a lot of fun...and I don't know that you can realistically play more than 8 or 9 in conference season. Woodbury is going to be a lot better next year than he is now. Basabe, Uthoff, White and McCabe battling for minutes at the four...Kyle Meyer, wonder if he can do some five..not seeing a lot of time there for him. Marble, Clemmons and Gesell will play a lot...Oglesby, Ingram and Jok battle for backup minutes and in roles...if Jok can come in and play, that is going to squeeze some minutes. I haven't even mentioned Oleaseni.

These are winning program problems.

Good teams have these kind of issues.

Bingo. Case in point: Thomas Robinson at Kansas. Robinson played 7.2 and 14.6 MPG his first two years on campus. After other players were out of the program, Robinson became a first team All-American and led KU to the title game.

Bingo. Case in point: Thomas Robinson at Kansas. Robinson played 7.2 and 14.6 MPG his first two years on campus. After other players were out of the program, Robinson became a first team All-American and led KU to the title game.

While true, the pitch to 'wait your turn' at Kansas has a history of NBA on the other side of the wait.

He won't be able to keep them all happy. Could some choose to leave? Sure. That happens. I think these guys were told they'd have a chance to come in and compete for time and time was there to be had...Fran has just assembled a roster that is longer on talent, in three years of recruiting, than I would have expected. So the battles for time are going to be a lot of fun...and I don't know that you can realistically play more than 8 or 9 in conference season. Woodbury is going to be a lot better next year than he is now. Basabe, Uthoff, White and McCabe battling for minutes at the four...Kyle Meyer, wonder if he can do some five..not seeing a lot of time there for him. Marble, Clemmons and Gesell will play a lot...Oglesby, Ingram and Jok battle for backup minutes and in roles...if Jok can come in and play, that is going to squeeze some minutes. I haven't even mentioned Oleaseni.

These are winning program problems.

Uthoff will find most of his minutes at the 3 as he is more wing than he is 4. Jok and ogelsby will battle for time behind gesell and for time behind marble not to mention marble will play some 2 next yr and we will see him and uthoff as the wings.

I really think ingram and olaseni will find themselves on the outside of the rotation again. Only way I see meyer getting time is at the 5. But if olaseni can improve enough I could see him get the minutes over meyer. Plus it seems like mccabe (though short) plays best at the 5.

1 - clemmons, gesell, marble
2 - gesell, jok, ogelsby, marble, ingram
3 - marble, uthoff, jok
4 - white, basabe, mccabe, uthoff, meyer
5 - woodbury, olaseni, mccabe, meyer

Minutes will be hard to come by. And the big thing that I see is we add 2 3 point shooters (jok and uthoff). Best thing is we have even more scorers. That team could be a top 5 or 10 scoring team in the nation and probably the top scoring team in the b1g. The key will be keeping everyone looking at the big picture that if you are having a bad night or someone else is just feeling it then they can play and you sit. And that the next night that role could easily reverse.

ingram may get decent minutes next year

fran recuited him as a lockdown guy

if he lives up to that, fran might use him like he's been using may, especially if he's getting scoring from the 3, 4, and 5

Latest posts