Penn State should give up football for a period of time

You're taking what I said out of context. My stance is that this issue shouldn't be left to the NCAA to decide. This larger cover up has place in the court systems as well, if you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.

I'm not taking it out of context at all. If you don't think covering up for a known pedophile in order to continue raking in hundreds of millions of dollars in donations, ticket sales, licensing fees, etc from a football program isn't a textbook definition of lack of institutional control, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not taking it out of context at all. If you don't think covering up for a known pedophile in order to continue raking in hundreds of millions of dollars in donations, ticket sales, licensing fees, etc from a football program isn't a textbook definition of lack of institutional control, I don't know what to tell you.

It may be the definition, but I am not ever going to advocate for the NCAA, who has repeated demonstrated an inability and inconsistency in discipline, to have more control. They need to stick to blatant, direct athletics related issues and leave punishments for criminal acts to a system that is set up for it.

The NCAA can't even handle what they've originally set up to do with honesty and integrity. You think all the sudden that same institution that lets Ohio State, USC and any other school slide by on penalties because of the mighty dollar is all of the sudden qualified to handle this then I don't know what to tell you.

Even if they don't tuck tail, the NCAA can't possibly institute a proper penalty for what occurred. This is bigger than the NCAA.

Of course its bigger than the NCAA. Nobody is asking the NCAA to levy all of the punishments...just those under their control.

Of course its bigger than the NCAA. Nobody is asking the NCAA to levy all of the punishments...just those under their control.

I don't think this is under there control, or should be. And yes I've seen their letters, and yes I think by their own historical inaction, and lack of moral fortitude, that they're overstepping by all of the sudden pretending to have a spine...if they manage to do anything.

If someone could please cite to the NCAA rules that were violated I would be happy to agree that the NCAA will punish Penn State.

It may be the definition, but I am not ever going to advocate for the NCAA, who has repeated demonstrated an inability and inconsistency in discipline, to have more control. They need to stick to blatant, direct athletics related issues and leave punishments for criminal acts to a system that is set up for it.

The NCAA can't even handle what they've originally set up to do with honesty and integrity. You think all the sudden that same institution that lets Ohio State, USC and any other school slide by on penalties because of the mighty dollar is all of the sudden qualified to handle this then I don't know what to tell you.

I never argued for SOLE jurisdiction from the NCAA, just for them to act in response to the lack of insitutional control via the coverup that continued to give Penn State a competitive advantage.

Then the criminal courts can take care of the perjury and other legal issues that came about.

Then the civil courts can take care of the civil penalties for the victims.

Then the US Dept of Education can remove financial aid monies for PSU's complete disregard of the Clery Act (PSUs policies relating to this Act remained in draft form for nearly 15 years).

I don't think this is under there control, or should be. And yes I've seen their letters, and yes I think by their own historical inaction, and lack of moral fortitude, that they're overstepping by all of the sudden pretending to have a spine...if they manage to do anything.

Keep in mind that they have a different president now and, Emmert, to his credit, has been "talking the talk" since he arrived. I think you'll be surprised at what he does in this situation.

If PSU does not voluntarily shut down its FB program, I predict the NCAA will do it for them. You have the FB coach and AD sweeping child rape under the rug to enable the program to keep running and prevent a public relations disaster. This is as bad as it gets. The NCAA will act if PSU does not fall on the sword. Only question is when action will be taken. The 2012 season starts in about 45 days. Will there be a 10-20-12 game in IC?

The fact that the punishment will affect those that had nothing to do with it is irrelevant since that is the case with almost all NCAA sanctions.

Of course the athletic program was responsible. The head coach and many others knew of these crimes and did nothing about it. That is a clear NCAA violation. It is called a "lack of insitutional control." This might be the most extreme example of lack of institutional control in the history of college football.

This school clearly deserves the most severe sanctions that the NCAA can administer. Will it happen? I have no idea. I'm simply saying it should.

And if the State of Pennsylvania Board of Regents and Penn State stand for what they say they stand for, they should penalize the football program in some way. Taking a year or two off from football would be the way. Will it happen? Doubtful. The school has already demonstrated their reckless disregard for ethics, morality and decency. Why should anything change? It is all about the greenbacks at Pedo State.

I sincerely and honestly believe that if this had happened at Iowa, the Board of Regents would have taken more drastic steps to address the situation.

Iowa was suspended from the Big Ten in 1930 for having a slush fund in place for athletes to give them spending money (a relatively common practice at that time). Why wouldn't the Big Ten suspend Penn State for one or two years for their cover up of these child molestation crimes?

If someone could please cite to the NCAA rules that were violated I would be happy to agree that the NCAA will punish Penn State.

And, once again, just because child rape isn't a listed offense, doesn't mean it won't/shouldn't be pursued.

LOL at the ignorance

So if they shut down football for any period of time, what does that do to the other sports since football funds everything else? Do they rely on student fees? General fund? Donations? Whatever surplus the Athletic Dept has in the bank?

It's like saying that if Nick Saban murders his whole family the football team should be punished just as well.

I don't necessarily believe that the Ped State football team should be shut down, but your analogy here isn't even close.

Don't let them play nonconference games just like Baylor basketball got a few years ago. Giving them the death penalty is just going to screw up B10 scheduling and no one wants that, uneven divisions just don't work.

SCHEDULING is your top reason for not punishing a child rape factory?

You really don't get it. I feel sorry for you

I get that anyone who was involved with it, is no longer a part of the university, and understand it's wrong to punish those individuals who had no control or a part of the tragedy.

And for me that is enough. The only way PSU will get punish is from the emotional, public outcry. Not from common sense.

I don't believe PSU will or deserves to get punished now.

I get that anyone who was involved with it, is no longer a part of the university, and understand it's wrong to punish those individuals who had no control or a part of the tragedy.

And for me that is enough. The only way PSU will get punish is from the emotional, public outcry. Not from common sense.

I don't believe PSU will or deserves to get punished now.

Penn State is Damned. Needs to clense it's culture. Suspending the football team wouldn't do that.

Penn State will likely see a "2-year Death Sentence" and I feel the BIG will likely decide whether or not Penn State needs to be a part of the league. Not what I want to happen just predicting the future.

Latest posts