Patrick Mccaffery responds to fans about his dad.

I don't typically agree with Josh, but he's on the money here.

We've had 2 head football coaches in 40 years. We've had 4 head basketball coaches in 32 years. Iowa fans are a lot of things, but on the whole, "impatient" isn't one of them.

The only one who didn't last was Lick, and that was only after he pushed us to the dark ages. But what Fran has allowed to have happen this year is worse than anything Lick ever put forth.

a LIKE

1073.jpg

Wanting something does not improve the chances of it happening. Action is the only thing that drives results. It is simple cause and effect. Until Iowa puts forth some action that could result in reaching the pinnacle, then I will continue to set my expectation at average to occasionally above average. For me the key at Iowa is keeping your head above water. If this was an average season I would have no qualms.

Bigger question for me is why some of you can't stand to be average? People can not live vicariously through sports teams. That is not healthy. If Iowa wins the B1G or an NCAA tournament that doesn't actually elevate any of us personally. Otherwise the people in Kansas would be god like. They are not, in case you were wondering.

I am an average person with an average life therefore I am ok with an average team. I am not ok with abject failure.

I disagree. Wanting something is actually the first step towards achievement. Otherwise, there's no internal motivation for taking the actions necessary to make achievement happen.

Does wanting something mean it will happen 100% of the time? Nope.

But not wanting something will guarantee you will achieve exactly 0% of the time.

There's a reason that individuals who write their goals down achieve at 5 times the rate of individuals who don't. It's the communication of the "want".

I ask and the Lord delivers.
"(results excluded)" what's up with that?

I would agree on the premise that a team can be pretty good, but get a bad NCAA draw. Sort of like Mr. Davis's teams getting Duke and Kentucky multiple times in the second round. It's not like they send Duke and Kentucky to the outer reaches for their first weekend, so it's basically a case of, "Results excluded due to possibility of getting a draw that just flat-out sucks even if we have a decent team"

I'm trying to figure out at what point as a society did we just decide 2 things can't be true (or false) at the same time?

For example, it's beyond assinine for an adult to be sending any sort of text, tweet, PM, etc to any teenager unless it's their own kid. It's also beyond assinine for said teenager to tweet back to the entire world a stupid, snarky response to said tweet when their father is currently an embattled public figure.

Ultimately, my hope is that Fran and Gary come to mutually agreeable terms on a resignation at the end of this year and all parties can move on. Fran has taken this thing as far as he can. I appreciate the hard work he put into digging us out from the crater that Lickliter put us in. But we are staring a 1-17 conference season in the face and no coach of a historically good P5 program should be allowed to continue coaching that team (barring significant injuries that caused it)...regardless of what either of his boys think.

How about if Fran were to do the "Coach K Bad Season Sabbatical" maneuver?

silverman.png

Irrelevancy=what too many Iowa fans think they deserve.
I don't see one person on this board arguing Iowa should compete for conference titles, EVER!!!. I bet they feel the same way about football.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because conference titles aren't of the same urgency as they were pre-1974 or 1975. Since then, multiple teams go to bowls, multiple teams go to the NCAA Tournament. And frankly, werre you psyched about being able to say the 2006 team won the BTT in the aftermath of the NW State 3-from-nowhere ending?

I disagree. Wanting something is actually the first step towards achievement. Otherwise, there's no internal motivation for taking the actions necessary to make achievement happen.

Does wanting something mean it will happen 100% of the time? Nope.

But not wanting something will guarantee you will achieve exactly 0% of the time.

There's a reason that individuals who write their goals down achieve at 5 times the rate of individuals who don't. It's the communication of the "want".

I apologize ahead of time because I can't help but being condescending here.

Go ahead and write down your individual goal of Iowa winning a National Championship in either football or basketball. We can revisit the manifest destiny at the end of each season.

We are outside observers. Our "goals", "wants", and "desires" mean absolutely nothing. They impact nothing. They are not actionable or tangible. So I state again. There is no effect without a cause. There is no result without an action. There has never been appropriate action from the actual party that dictates such action (The University of Iowa). Iowa's action consistently migrates towards maintaining an average while not risking huge pitfalls.

Iowa fans don't accept mediocrity, the University does. As a powerless fan it is futile to be angry when your round peg expectation does not fit the square peg plan. Your outrage unfortunately will never make a difference. Please correct me if I am mistaken and you are a multi million dollar booster.

Last edited:
Iowa fans don't accept mediocrity, the University does. As a powerless fan it is futile to be angry when your round peg expectation does not fit the square peg plan. Your outrage unfortunately will never make a difference. Please correct me if I am mistaken and you are a multi million dollar booster.

Any fanbase that packs a stadium or arena to watch a coach produce lackluster results over and over is accepting mediocrity.
So now I'm agreeing with the apologists that the fans are the problem, will wonders never cease?!?!

Any fanbase that packs a stadium or arena to watch a coach produce lackluster results over and over is accepting mediocrity.
So now I'm agreeing with the apologists that the fans are the problem, will wonders never cease?!?!

That notion is contrite and frankly played out. Do you forsake your children for failure to produce? If you've never had a child fail to meet your expectations then at least ask yourself, How would you deal with it? I hope your answer would not be that you would turn your back on them. The University of Iowa is like my child. I can't control it. I hope for the best and I still love and support it when it let's me down. You can protest by not buying tickets and merchandise sure. For me loyalty runs deeper than that. No matter what happens.

Adam I've seen a lot of posts on here trying to explain that fan's expectations don't change results, but your last 2 have been the best I've seen. I'm a middle aged man (holy shit that seems weird to say) with a wife and kids. I'll be happy when they win and pissed when they lose, then go about my life the same either way.

If students want to storm the ADs office, good for them. I hope it makes things better. If people want to quit watching. Good for them. But I enjoy watching them play (most of the time) and to be honest, rooting for the favorite who always wins isn't is fun to me as rooting for the underdog. It's all devistation when they lose and relief when they win.

I'm trying to figure out at what point as a society did we just decide 2 things can't be true (or false) at the same time?

For example, it's beyond assinine for an adult to be sending any sort of text, tweet, PM, etc to any teenager unless it's their own kid. It's also beyond assinine for said teenager to tweet back to the entire world a stupid, snarky response to said tweet when their father is currently an embattled public figure.

Ultimately, my hope is that Fran and Gary come to mutually agreeable terms on a resignation at the end of this year and all parties can move on. Fran has taken this thing as far as he can. I appreciate the hard work he put into digging us out from the crater that Lickliter put us in. But we are staring a 1-17 conference season in the face and no coach of a historically good P5 program should be allowed to continue coaching that team (barring significant injuries that caused it)...regardless of what either of his boys think.

Speaking of 2 things being true at the same time. Why can't it be true that Fran is sucking balls this year AND Carver sucks and doesn't give a home court advantage that could add a couple wins a year? Everyone has always understood that as far as I always thought. But now you have to be an apologist to think it. Weird.

That notion is contrite and frankly played out. Do you forsake your children for failure to produce? If you've never had a child fail to meet your expectations then at least ask yourself, How would you deal with it? I hope your answer would not be that you would turn your back on them. The University of Iowa is like my child. I can't control it. I hope for the best and I still love and support it when it let's me down. You can protest by not buying tickets and merchandise sure. For me loyalty runs deeper than that. No matter what happens.

You just said the Hawkeyes were the equivalent of your biological children. Think about that.

You cannot compare raising a child to a football program. You have a hand in raising the child. You set up expectations. If the child doesnt meet those expectations they get negative consequences. If they do, they get a positive consequence. This teaches them the difference between right and wrong.

Now, if your child goes off the rails, sure you support them, to a point. But you dont keep giving the drug adict money. That is enabling and doesnt help anyone. In fact, that will lead to worse consequences.

Right now, we are feeding the drug addict (FKF) money (Literally), and the results are what you would expect.

Quit enabling.

You cannot compare raising a child to a football program. You have a hand in raising the child. You set up expectations. If the child doesnt meet those expectations they get negative consequences. If they do, they get a positive consequence. This teaches them the difference between right and wrong.

Now, if your child goes off the rails, sure you support them, to a point. But you dont keep giving the drug adict money. That is enabling and doesnt help anyone. In fact, that will lead to worse consequences.

Right now, we are feeding the drug addict (FKF) money (Literally), and the results are what you would expect.

Quit enabling.

I was gonna say, "When your kid brings home a report card filled with Cs, do you pretend they are As?"

Handing out A-level contracts for C-level work is setting the wrong type of example for the child.

I don't think people should be targeting his kids on twitter. Then again, I'm not so sure how wise the Fran boys to be tweeting back at them.

Social media has not been good for the basketball team this year. Reading between the lines, the family knows the heat is out there.

This isn't the 1st time the Fran boys have "tweeted" things. Don't forget Pat tweeting his displeasure about Connor not getting picked as player of the year. Yes...he is right about some fans tweeting at HS kids and how dumb it is, but the McCaffrey boys need to lay off the twitter IMO. Just no good can come out of it really and they aren't mature enough to handle this spotlight yet, especially Patrick. Then you have JBO telling fans to "RELAX" several weeks ago etc. Just pointless to be on it or respond. Especially when you can't back it up with play on the court. Sad world we are living in though.

As far as Patrick and Connor are concerned. They can handle things very well on their own.....

Cool cats all the way around. Twitter outbursts are not going to intimidate either of them.....

This is a good thing.....

:cool:

Latest posts