Painter made a stupid move today

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Sure, Boilers rolled, great...

By why in the hell is he keeping the starters in up 20 to 24 with 4 minutes left? Johnson didn't get out until a minute left in the game.

He's is damn lucky no one got hurt.

Stupid move, Matt. Stupid move.

I was actually kind of thinking the same thing.. Or was at least wondering why the starters were still in the game. The last 5 minutes, some reserves could've been in the game.

Sure, Boilers rolled, great...

By why in the hell is he keeping the starters in up 20 to 24 with 4 minutes left? Johnson didn't get out until a minute left in the game.

He's is damn lucky no one got hurt.

Stupid move, Matt. Stupid move.

Did anyone get injured, Stormin?

No.

I completely understand what you are saying.

But, given nobody WAS injured, this is much ado about nothing.

It was cheap...but he's obviously worrying about a number 1 seed at this point...they need convincing wins.

Edit: Convincing wins= really bad beatdowns of the teams they're supposed to beat down.

Did anyone get injured, Stormin?

No.

I completely understand what you are saying.

But, given nobody WAS injured, this is much ado about nothing.

How many times did you see Mr. Davis keep the starters in at the end of games when we were blowing teams out? You didn't. Good coaches don't do that because a.) it's an @ss move toward the opposition's coach and b.) you risk injuring someone you need to make a deep run in the NCAA tourney.

Just because nothing bad happened doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid move.

If you steal and don't get caught, it doesn't make it ok.

It was cheap...but he's obviously worrying about a number 1 seed at this point...they need convincing wins.

Not exactly sure whats cheap about it. They are all playing on an even playing field. We are allowed to give out the same number of scholarships that Pudue gives out.

I hope coach Painter made sure all of his players were buckled up on the drive to the arena...or else they could have got hurt.

Even if Purdue plays their bench the last four minutes, the score is still the same. Maybe worse, their bench would have put up more shots rather than just run the drive-to-the-lane-throw-to-the-wing-drive-to-the-lane-throw-to-the-wing-etc-etc and get a dunk or a bunny with 4 seconds on the shot clock.

Yeah, it was stupid. I don't care it's Purdue.

Maybe it was rolling-up-the score. So what? Iowa should do something about it.

Not exactly sure whats cheap about it. They are all playing on an even playing field. We are allowed to give out the same number of scholarships that Pudue gives out.

Right, nothing cheap about a 20 something point lead and your starters still running the court with a minute left...and why are you singling me out? I thought I explained the reasoning pretty well...just lookin' for an argument you can't win?

Even if Purdue plays their bench the last four minutes, the score is still the same. Maybe worse, their bench would have put up more shots rather than just run the drive-to-the-lane-throw-to-the-wing-drive-to-the-lane-throw-to-the-wing-etc-etc and get a dunk or a bunny with 4 seconds on the shot clock.

Yeah, it was stupid. I don't care it's Purdue.

Maybe it was rolling-up-the score. So what? Iowa should do something about it.

It's not about them scoring...if their subs are in everyone expects them to want to get in the books and get some points...OPs questioning the risk/reward of keeping starters you need to keep healthy when looking at your program's "big picture" for the season...not the continuation of scoring.

DDThompson;56576 Maybe it was rolling-up-the score. So what? Iowa should do something about it.[/QUOTE said:
I agree 100%. Recruit better players. Play better D. Score more points.

I understand exactly why Painter did it. He is trying to get a high seed in the tourney. A 23 point win looks better than a 13 point lead.

There were a few times in the second half where Purdue lulled to sleep and the Hawks threw in a few quick baskets. It was clear Painter was not going to accept that, since he kept calling TO's. Painter wanted full intenisty for the whole 40 minutes.

He is playing for something bigger than Iowa's feelings. I don't mind what he did at all. It was the best move for his team, as far as I'm concerned, and Painter obviously feels that way.

Right, nothing cheap about a 20 something point lead and your starters still running the court with a minute left...and why are you singling me out? I thought I explained the reasoning pretty well...just lookin' for an argument you can't win?
Wasn't trying to single you out exactly but you are the only one to call it cheap.

Wasn't trying to single you out exactly but you are the only one to call it cheap.

Oh, well that's just because it was cheap. :D

Edit: I don't mean cheap like it was the worst thing in the history of things...just low end of the scale cheap, because like I said, he needs impressive wins to get a number 1 seed. I'm sure I'll have no problem at all by the end of the night since I don't have much of a problem with it right now.

Last edited:
He should rub the score in. We are an embarassment to the sport of college basketball and everyone knows it. All he did was remind everyone we are NOWHERE near as good as them! Don't forget Purdue was BAD five years ago ('04-05) when they went 7-20 and look at them now! Why is this...RECRUITING and UPTEMPO play! We put them in their place back them, so they are doing it now until we stop it.

If we don't want them to run up the score then stop them!!! Until we can stop teams they will embarrass us...as they should!!

It's not about them scoring...if their subs are in everyone expects them to want to get in the books and get some points...OPs questioning the risk/reward of keeping starters you need to keep healthy when looking at your program's "big picture" for the season...not the continuation of scoring.
Agreed. But my point is . . . who cares what Painter does? I'm not a Boilermaker fan so I don't care what he does with his team. Maybe the same point is being made on Boilermaker.com and if it is, good for them. I don't care.

The hand-in-hand point with stupid move is that Painter was rolling-up the score which the OP didn't address but you know others are going and have already complained about.

He should rub the score in. We are an embarassment to the sport of college basketball and everyone knows it. All he did was remind everyone we are NOWHERE near as good as them! Don't forget Purdue was BAD five years ago ('04-05) when they went 7-20 and look at them now! Why is this...RECRUITING and UPTEMPO play! We put them in their place back them, so they are doing it now until we stop it.

If we don't want them to run up the score then stop them!!! Until we can stop teams they will embarrass us...as they should!!

It's not about "running up the score"...it's about...nevermind...getting tired of explaining it... :p

Agreed. But my point is . . . who cares what Painter does? I'm not a Boilermaker fan so I don't care what he does with his team. Maybe the same point is being made on Boilermaker.com and if it is, good for them. I don't care.

The hand-in-hand point with stupid move is that Painter was rolling-up the score which the OP didn't address but you know others are going and have already complained about.

I don't think that was Stormin's point, we also discussed the wisdom of it on the in-game chat...but I see your point too, if they want to do it and wind up getting a player hurt, F 'em...it's on them! They're not us!

Latest posts