OT: Derecho!

Both of my sisters in Cedar Rapids still have their power out. My brother has electricity.

We got our power back at about 6:30 last night in Marion. I just got back from filling two jugs of fuel for the generator, and was sweeping some debris off the street where I park. Suddenly, our two kids came running out announcing "We have electricity!" over and over.

I was driving around today and was heading for the Iowa Arboretum north of Madrid. Wow, Madrid was clobbered. It was hit harder per tree than around Des Moines. Must have been the same Hiway 30 corridor winds that hit Cedar Rapids so hard. I saw a huge Walnut broken and uprooted and the root ball and soil was no kidding at least 25 feet across, massive amount of weight to be uprooted. And the cornfields there were more than flattened they were stripped.

I was driving around today and was heading for the Iowa Arboretum north of Madrid. Wow, Madrid was clobbered. It was hit harder per tree than around Des Moines. Must have been the same Hiway 30 corridor winds that hit Cedar Rapids so hard. I saw a huge Walnut broken and uprooted and the root ball and soil was no kidding at least 25 feet across, massive amount of weight to be uprooted. And the cornfields there were more than flattened they were stripped.

It seems like anything in the vicinity of Hwy 30 got hit the hardest (Ames, Marshalltown, Tama, Cedar Rapids, etc.)

They just got their power back yesterday.
My Daughter got power this afternoon. She lives a couple blocks from Brucemore. I just dropped off a window a/c unit this evening as their central a/c was smacked by a falling tree. I drove on 15th and then across on Bever and it looked like a warzone. Nearly every tree for at least a dozen blocks was either down or snapped off. The road is barely one lane wide because of all of the tree debris lining the road. The crew that helped my son in law clear the downed trees at their place was from Georgia. It looks worse now that, compared to last Tuesday, the leaves on the trees are drying out. If they don't get cleared soon then the conditions are going to be ripe for fire.

I was in thick of this crazy storm on Highway 163 on my way to Des Moines. My hair looked like I tested the power of the lightning.
giphy.gif

Drove I 80. Looked like most of unsalvageabe corn was already understress from stalk deterioration which would be lower yield anyway. Broken stalks oft was behind buildings and trees causing swirling which is green snap and below the ear. Bent corn will be largely slow harvest but salvageable. Somewhat lower yield but some will still go 200 plus.

Will help grain prices some but not a lot. Yields weren't going to be fantastic for many. Immediate small impact on price. Another jump after new year when the crop across the Midwest is lower than expected.

Farmers hit with a lot of snapping and didn't take fed crop ins will be few but will be screwed.

Like a mostly rural area where people know each other and aren't very diverse.
Probably yup.

I've wondered why is it that only neighborhoods that are mostly all white are considered not diverse. Shouldn't a neighborhood that's all black or any other race be spoken about being not diverse too?