OT: Derecho!

Esda recorded 91 mph wind near my house. Was already getting a new roof from 2 July storms. I forgot to take down an anchored umbrella...it survived.

I work for an R.E.C. in eastern Iowa, been working 12-17 a day this week. We had around 7300 people out right after the storm and down to about 2000 now. North of I-80 in the Tipton, Stanwood, Clarence, Mechanicsville area is a F'ing mess, Any grain bin that was not half full is gone, and most of them bins took out poles and lines with them. Our broken pole number is getting in the 250-300 range and counting. I have not even started on the trees, it take an hour or so at each place clearing trees just to get to our things. We have places that will be out at least another 48-60 hours, and we have had 25-30 guys and 8-10 trucks come in from down South somewhere. I work in dispatch when shit hits the fan, was in at 4:30 and hope to be out of here by 10 tonight. Livin on redbull and pizza at this point, but I do think the worst of it will be over after today for us

You're doing God's work, friend. Thanks for your hard work and stay safe. That line work ain't no joke.

I work for an R.E.C. in eastern Iowa, been working 12-17 a day this week. We had around 7300 people out right after the storm and down to about 2000 now. North of I-80 in the Tipton, Stanwood, Clarence, Mechanicsville area is a F'ing mess, Any grain bin that was not half full is gone, and most of them bins took out poles and lines with them. Our broken pole number is getting in the 250-300 range and counting. I have not even started on the trees, it take an hour or so at each place clearing trees just to get to our things. We have places that will be out at least another 48-60 hours, and we have had 25-30 guys and 8-10 trucks come in from down South somewhere. I work in dispatch when shit hits the fan, was in at 4:30 and hope to be out of here by 10 tonight. Livin on redbull and pizza at this point, but I do think the worst of it will be over after today for us
Floydvane, stay safe and we're all praying everyone involved and their families recover quickly. I'm glad we have people like you to step up and can handle situations like this.

Thanks for putting in the long hours to get power back to everyone. Dad used to be gas superintendent at a regional Iowa utility but would go in and work long hours during storm outages to help dispatch and track repairs. We lived in the Mid-Atlantic when Superstorm Sandy hit and knocked out power to much of central New Jersey, New York and Connecticut. A lot of poles were snapped and trees or large branches were blown onto wires. We were without power for nine days. Long hours for a lot of linemen and dispatchers!

My daughter, who lives in Marion, just got her power back.

I'm considering her to be one of the lucky ones. Some streets down there are still impassible with a tangle of downed trees and power lines. I could see some people not getting power restored until the middle of next week.

I used to build grain bins in college and that was the first thing I thought of - any empty one is going to be demolished.

I live in Ankeny and there are still swaths of area that don't have power. Crazy.

I have experienced many midwest Derichos and this one is right up there with the worst of them.

If was the duration of strong winds that set this apart. 30, 40, 45 minutes of damaging winds. They said this storm was pushing warm air up with such force that the air was sinking behind the storms and filling back in like a giant conveyor belt. Cities like Cedar Rapids experienced hurricane force winds for over half an hour.

I was near Mount Carroll, Illinois working my job. Fortunately where I was only a couple trees were knocked down. But the wind was steady at 45,50 MPH. It was scary going through heavily wooded area. Any of those trees could have fallen on me or trapped me blocking the road.

Mount Carroll, about 100 miles east of Cedar Rapids, was heavily damaged. Fortunately the wind had calmed down by the time I got there.

Just got power back at the house near City High in IC about 2 hours ago. Finally able to shut the generator off after 3 days of constantly running. It's so quiet now.

Still no Internet, but I know Mediacom has to wait for MidAmerican to do their work first, so I expect that soon as well.

Just got power back at the house near City High in IC about 2 hours ago. Finally able to shut the generator off after 3 days of constantly running. It's so quiet now.

Still no Internet, but I know Mediacom has to wait for MidAmerican to do their work first, so I expect that soon as well.
You live like two blocks from me! Still no power at home over by Lemme. Thankfully work back online, this is the first I've been that had power or internet in 3 days :(

You live like two blocks from me! Still no power at home over by Lemme. Thankfully work back online, this is the first I've been that had power or internet in 3 days :(

Yeah, I usually work from home even though I have an office in CR. I've just been coming downtown to Merge and working from there. Power and Internet and pretty much all downtown restaurants are open for business.

Longsleeve tees and jeans? Crazy, I wore a beater and sandals the whole time I helped 5 different neighborhood houses. Then again I get hot super easy..

Longsleeve tees and jeans? Crazy, I wore a beater and sandals the whole time I helped 5 different neighborhood houses. Then again I get hot super easy..
Yeah I'd be wearing jeans but short sleeves. Neither one of them are doing it right... haha jk. Glad they are out there every little bit really does help.

Latest posts