Original thoughts from Clown Town

This game is more important to ISU fans than it is for Iowa fans. Period. I'd like to see them play every few years. Many Iowa fans have a similar belief. I don't think a lot of IA State fans agree with this. Every scenerio is a win win for IA State. They get a nice win if they win. They typically don't have anything to lose if they lose it. It's a good gamble for them to play.

I disagree - historically ISU doesn't make a bowl if they lose to Iowa. I think it's happened once. IMO that's why ISU stands to gain by not playing Iowa, because essentially every bottom feeder in the Big 12 that has ever risen from the bottom has played as many cupcakes as possible to get as many wins as possible. (KSU, KU under Mangino, BU).

Jack Trice field was dedicated immediately after completion in 1975 so we couldn't exactly name it before then. The stadium was officially renamed in 1997 (rather than just the field itself), and is still the only FBS D1 stadium named for an African-American.

Iowa State used to play at Clyde Williams Stadium, named in 1938 for the former coach and athletic director who did play football for Iowa, but is now in both schools' hall of fame. Kinnick wasn't named until 1972 and prior to that Iowa played at "Iowa Stadium". Didn't exactly beat us to the punch there.

Do your homework. Iowa had wanted to name it "Kinnick Stadium" for years. Kinnick's Father asked them not to... as he didn't want Nile's death to seem more important than any other young man who was lost in service. Years later, after Gus Schrader renewed the idea... Nile Sr finally agreed as he felt enough time had passed and he gave the University his blessing. They then made the name change in 1972.

I'd suggest that's pretty meaningful.

Hayden Fry did get permission from the Steelers to copy their uniforms but the Steelers are in the NFL. It does appear ISU copied another college program's uniform-a distinction that should be pointed out-something that seems cheesier to do.

It may appear that way but the shoulder stripe style at the time was just a Nike standard. Ol' Miss has the same style. The colors were the Nike standard. ISU doesn't really get a whole lot of custom Nike stuff, they have to take what they get generally as they were moving away from the McDonald's colors.

miss-12-bluegrey-derickehingle-620x620.jpg

iowa-state-cyclones-football-tickets.jpg.870x570_q70_crop-smart_upscale.jpg

Iowa didn't name their stadium Kinnick in 1972 because ISU named theirs in 1938 after Clyde Williams, as it was 34 years later, though it's much more likely ISU named their stadium Jack Tryce because Iowa had named theirs after a great and significant player merely three years earlier.

Naming a stadium after a former player or coach isn't exactly the most original thing for either school to do.

You should listen to Jon's podcast with Chris Williams.
Chris spouts off how the superbowl thing is so stupid and doesn't make any sense. Jon plays along for awhile, then asks him why the clowns have had a "Beat Iowa" countdown clock in their practice facility since at least the spring game. Chris really didn't have an answer, because the only true answer is that it is Iowa State's freaking super bowl!

I like how Williams says there are only 12 games so Iowa should be able to get up for each one. But ISU can't even come close to replicating how much they get up for Iowa in their other 11 games.

I personally think it's pretty dumb to play a team as bad as ISU every year. But I think it's incredibly dumb to play a team who's as bad as ISU that happens to play like Alabama the one week they play you.

I disagree - historically ISU doesn't make a bowl if they lose to Iowa. I think it's happened once. IMO that's why ISU stands to gain by not playing Iowa, because essentially every bottom feeder in the Big 12 that has ever risen from the bottom has played as many cupcakes as possible to get as many wins as possible. (KSU, KU under Mangino, BU).

Are you freaking kidding, really!? I disagree. Iowa State regularly doesn't have enough wins to qualify for a bowl game or a high-profile bowl (1-1 and after), so, it's not the Iowa game by itself that kills them. You can't say IA State would have been 5-7 instead of 4-8 if they just wouldn't have lost to Iowa. Nobody cares and still sides on the side of irrelevancy. They are just a crappy team in general. The Iowa games doesn't really have an effect on them or getting turned down by the Foster Farms bowl on Dec. 28th.

I guess if you are just trying to rack up shitty wins in general than you win the argument.

If Iowa has an outstanding year such as in 2002 or 2015, than an Iowa State non-conference loss can have an impact on their high profile bowl or if they would get into the playoffs or not. If they would have taken a loss in 2015, they wouldn't have even been in the discussion to be in the playoffs. Hell, they were on the fringes of a discussion anyway when beating Iowa State that year as the Iowa St game didn't help Iowa's SOS. The game doesn't do anything for Iowa's SOS or RPI or whatever they measure in football. So, just playing IA state most years (typically in the past) can hinder Iowa, win or lose. There is nothing to gain for Iowa unless Iowa State ends up having a solid year which I would say is 7+ wins.

Last edited:
Are you freaking kidding, really!? I disagree. Iowa State regularly doesn't have enough wins to qualify for a bowl game or a high-profile bowl (1-1 and after), so, it's not the Iowa game by itself that kills them. You can't say IA State would have been 5-7 instead of 4-8 if they just wouldn't have lost to Iowa. Nobody cares and still sides on the side of irrelevancy. They are just a crappy team in general. The Iowa games doesn't really have an effect on them or getting turned down by the Foster Farms bowl on Dec. 28th.

I guess if you are just trying to rack up shitty wins in general than you win the argument.

If Iowa has an outstanding year such as in 2002 or 2015, than an Iowa State non-conference loss can have an impact on their high profile bowl or if they would get into the playoffs or not. If they would have taken a loss in 2015, they wouldn't have even been in the discussion to be in the playoffs. Hell, they were on the fringes of a discussion anyway when beating Iowa State that year as the Iowa St game didn't help Iowa's SOS. The game doesn't do anything for Iowa's SOS or RPI or whatever they measure in football. So, just playing IA state most years (typically in the past) can hinder Iowa, win or lose. There is nothing to gain for Iowa unless Iowa State ends up having a solid year which I would say is 7+ wins.

If they ever do get to 7 wins, they would almost certainly need an Iowa win to do it. We need to play a team that can get 7 or 8 wins and plays us like a 7 or 8 win team would. Instead we play a 3 or 4 win team that plays us like an 8 or 9 win team would.

Naming a stadium after a former player or coach isn't exactly the most original thing for either school to do.

The point is, Iowa made a splash after naming the stadium after their Heisman Trophy winner, then ISU apparently tried to make a splash shortly after it.

But, hey, it's OK. When my big brother did something noteworthy I'd try and get attention and do something noteworthy too. It happens.

He is actually right about that. You play one FCS squad and 2 bottom feeders at home. I am amazed that they are still doing the home and home with MAC schools. A week after the Iowa game they have to play at Akron. Eff that, buy that game out and have Louisana -monroe come to town do some cheesy promo(which ISU is good at) and get 45,000 in the stands.

The point is, Iowa made a splash after naming the stadium after their Heisman Trophy winner, then ISU apparently tried to make a splash shortly after it.

To whom is this so apparent? Iowa State's previous stadium was named after a prominent figure in the program history and when they built a new one, they used the name of another prominent figure.

It seems like you guys are just desperate to make it about you.

He is actually right about that. You play one FCS squad and 2 bottom feeders at home. I am amazed that they are still doing the home and home with MAC schools. A week after the Iowa game they have to play at Akron. Eff that, buy that game out and have Louisana -monroe come to town do some cheesy promo(which ISU is good at) and get 45,000 in the stands.

He's right about what? I think we are talking about two separate things. He's talking about playing as many shitty teams as State can to qualify for a bowl game (6 wins). I'm talking about playing quality caliber teams to be beneficial as far as SOS at the end of the season.

I don't think we are on the same page.

Clowns don't care about bowl games. They just play the game to beat the Hawks. They don't want no stinken bowl game.

Iowa didn't name their stadium Kinnick in 1972 because ISU named theirs in 1938 after Clyde Williams, as it was 34 years later, though it's much more likely ISU named their stadium Jack Tryce because Iowa had named theirs after a great and significant player merely three years earlier.

The argument made above is that ISU did it to copy Iowa, which ignores that ISU's facilities have been named after members of the program since the 30's. My point was that claiming ISU did it to copy Iowa is quite a stretch, at the very best. It's "much more likely" that neither program gives a damn what the other one names their stadium.

I'll give you Herky and Cy. However, since the "Hawkeyes" nickname partly refers to a bird, it does seem logical that they would eventually have created a bird mascot without any influence from the team out west.

That's simply untrue. James Edwards, a newspaper reporter in the 1830's proposed 'Hawk Eyes" as a nickname for Iowans after the Black Hawk War in 1832. The university simply borrowed (some certain people might call this 'copied'?) the nickname from the state of Iowa. The term had nothing at all to do with Herky or birds as a mascot in general. That association came much later, after the creation of Herky.

Hayden Fry did get permission from the Steelers to copy their uniforms but the Steelers are in the NFL. It does appear ISU copied another college program's uniform-a distinction that should be pointed out-something that seems cheesier to do.

Again, the claim above was simply that ISU 'copied' it's uniform from another program, ignoring the blatant hypocrisy that there is absolutely nothing at all original about Iowa's uniforms, save the logo.

Last edited:
BryceC would you explain how you get a bird as a mascot from a cyclone?

The cardinal was chosen because depicting a tornado as a mascot was conceptually somewhere between difficult and impossible, and Iowa State's school colors naturally lent themselves to the cardinal.

I might also mention:
Sebastian_the_ibis_logo.jpg

Weather patterns as mascots are difficult.

If they ever do get to 7 wins, they would almost certainly need an Iowa win to do it. We need to play a team that can get 7 or 8 wins and plays us like a 7 or 8 win team would. Instead we play a 3 or 4 win team that plays us like an 8 or 9 win team would.

I am okay with the schedule just because KF teams don't usually hit their stride until October. This Iowa team needs this type of schedule. The KF era is coming to an end soon so that might change with Brian or whoever ends up being the next HC......until then, I do not need to see 7 or 8 win teams in the non-conference.

This is why it really sucks when Iowa loses to them early in the season and then Iowa St ends up going 3-9. Gaaawd it sucks when that happens.

This is totally true. I think the directional Michigan schools are usually better and tougher competition than ISU.

That's simply untrue. James Edwards, a newspaper reporter in the 1830's proposed 'Hawk Eyes" as a nickname for Iowans after the Black Hawk War in 1832. The university simply borrowed (some certain people might call this 'copied'?) the nickname from the state of Iowa. The term had nothing at all to do with Herky or birds as a mascot in general. That association came much later, after the creation of Herky.

Did the word 'hawk' mean something different in the 1830's than it does now? I wasn't around then but I thought it has been the name of a bird since forever.