Original thoughts from Clown Town

Jack Trice field was dedicated immediately after completion in 1975 so we couldn't exactly name it before then. The stadium was officially renamed in 1997 (rather than just the field itself), and is still the only FBS D1 stadium named for an African-American.

Iowa State used to play at Clyde Williams Stadium, named in 1938 for the former coach and athletic director who did play football for Iowa, but is now in both schools' hall of fame. Kinnick wasn't named until 1972 and prior to that Iowa played at "Iowa Stadium". Didn't exactly beat us to the punch there.

Herkey made his first on-field appearance as a costumed mascot in 1959. Cy was introduced at a 1954 homecoming pep rally.

KYF+Iowa_Steelers.jpg

Iowa, Hayden Fry specifically, had to seek permission from Pittsburgh in 1970 to copy their uniform.

Your reductive and misleading post was cool though.
9724962_orig.jpg

I am okay with the schedule just because KF teams don't usually hit their stride until October. This Iowa team needs this type of schedule. The KF era is coming to an end soon so that might change with Brian or whoever ends up being the next HC......until then, I do not need to see 7 or 8 win teams in the non-conference.

You missed my point. If we are going to play a 4 win team, play a 4 win team that treats Iowa like every other game so they play like a 4 win team against us. Don't play a 4 win team who makes it their yearly mission to beat Iowa and plays out of their mind (like an 8 win team) every year. If you're going to play a team that plays you like an 8 win team, you just as well play an actual 8 win team.

The cardinal was chosen because depicting a tornado as a mascot was conceptually somewhere between difficult and impossible, and Iowa State's school colors naturally lent themselves to the cardinal.

I might also mention:
Sebastian_the_ibis_logo.jpg

Weather patterns as mascots are difficult.

So, in a nutshell, it was really f'ing stupid and not really thought out too well when picking the cyclone as a mascot?

I don't know who really wants it more. But I do know that for me at least, when Iowa wins. It's a gigantic sigh and a relief then onto the next game. I don't say one damned thing to isu fans. When Iowa loses, it's hell and harrassment from every clown fan I know.

This is what I hate about this rivalry. I get texts from people I know that don't watch a play of football all year but are suddenly a "huge fan". I don't even think of talking shit after a win and I sure as hell wouldn't talk shit before it's played.

Did the word 'hawk' mean something different in the 1830's than it does now? I wasn't around then but I thought it has been the name of a bird since forever.

Didn't read my post at all huh.

The TigerHawk logo wasn't created until 1979. The association of birds and the UofI didn't start until Herky. The connotations of 'Hawkeye' were specifically tied to the Black Hawk tribe and Native Americans (and to a lesser extent, the character Hawk Eye from Last of the Mohicans) , not birds.

You missed my point. If we are going to play a 4 win team, play a 4 win team that treats Iowa like every other game so they play like a 4 win team against us. Don't play a 4 win team who makes it their yearly mission to beat Iowa and plays out of their mind (like an 8 win team) every year. If you're going to play a team that plays you like an 8 win team, you just as well play an actual 8 win team.

like the home and home with Syracuse several years back.

Thank you for proving my point.
so how did you prove that most Iowa state fans care about anything but beating iowa? you better hope you don't get blown out on your super bowl again this year. It definitely means more to you than it does me.

He's right about what? I think we are talking about two separate things. He's talking about playing as many shitty teams as State can to qualify for a bowl game (6 wins). I'm talking about playing quality caliber teams to be beneficial as far as SOS at the end of the season.

I don't think we are on the same page.

Currently, Iowa is a 7-9 win program, winning or losing to ISU really doesn't matter except maybe twice a decade. Maybe things change once BF or whoever is the next coach, under Ferentz it usually takes until October before Iowa hits it stride. I was one that never complained about the schedule, granted I am not a season ticket holder, so take it fwiw.

Iowa can lose 1 or 2 games in the NC season and still make a bowl game. ISU has to win every game to get a sniff of the post season. When is the last time they have played a bowl outside of Boise or New York?

Last edited:
like the home and home with Syracuse several years back.

I would rather play a bit better team like the Pitt or Arizona teams. But I would rather play teams equal to 2006 Syracuse every year than ISU for sure. Odds are much better for wins and overall they are a better program.

Grew up in Iowa but have lived out of state for 20 some years now. This is just another game. This game wasn't a rivalry when I was growing up as ISU never showed up to play. It isn't a rivalry game now in my mind because it's not an in conference game. Having said that Iowa losing to ISU is the same as Iowa losing to a mac school. Embarrassing because it means Iowa played down to it's opponent and the coaching staff cared more about hiding their play book than winning a game. Even if ISU managed to become relevant in their own conference, their conference is no longer relevant. Oddly enough living out of state I still manage to run into Iowa fans on a semi regular basis, I've never run into an Iowa state fan. Not sure if they just don't exist out of state or the shame runs so deep they can't bring themselves to broadcast their allegiance.

Jack Trice field was dedicated immediately after completion in 1975 so we couldn't exactly name it before then. The stadium was officially renamed in 1997 (rather than just the field itself), and is still the only FBS D1 stadium named for an African-American.

Iowa State used to play at Clyde Williams Stadium, named in 1938 for the former coach and athletic director who did play football for Iowa, but is now in both schools' hall of fame. Kinnick wasn't named until 1972 and prior to that Iowa played at "Iowa Stadium". Didn't exactly beat us to the punch there.

Herkey made his first on-field appearance as a costumed mascot in 1959. Cy was introduced at a 1954 homecoming pep rally.

KYF+Iowa_Steelers.jpg

Iowa, Hayden Fry specifically, had to seek permission from Pittsburgh in 1970 to copy their uniform.

Your reductive and misleading post was cool though.
I am sorry, but I haven't heard of any of those people.

I don't know who really wants it more. But I do know that for me at least, when Iowa wins. It's a gigantic sigh and a relief then onto the next game. I don't say one damned thing to isu fans. When Iowa loses, it's hell and harrassment from every clown fan I know.
And why would you brag?

How about we just elevate our program to the point where we don't ever lose to garbage teams like we seem to do far too frequently. The fact that we have lost to them and other teams like them is more of a testament to Iowa football than it is to some mystical football ability of teams to turn into powerhouses when they play us. Playing Iowa State should be no different than playing Wyoming. Both suck and we should beat them by 30. The Super Bowl thing is our lame way of making an excuse when we blow an easy game.

Latest posts