Original thoughts from Clown Town

You could certainly claim that was what you took away from the entire discussion if you were being willfully ignorant, yes.

Below is the original statement and point you were making. How else was I supposed to take it?

judzeehawk said:

BryceC would you explain how you get a bird as a mascot from a cyclone?

The cardinal was chosen because depicting a tornado as a mascot was conceptually somewhere between difficult and impossible, and Iowa State's school colors naturally lent themselves to the cardinal.

Didn't read my post at all huh.

The TigerHawk logo wasn't created until 1979. The association of birds and the UofI didn't start until Herky. The connotations of 'Hawkeye' were specifically tied to the Black Hawk tribe and Native Americans (and to a lesser extent, the character Hawk Eye from Last of the Mohicans) , not birds.

You had a glancing blow.
We are the Hawkeye state because of the book Last of the Mohicans. The state nickname comes from the scout, Hawkeye.
It has nothing to do with the Black Hawk tribe. It is wholly because of the scout, hawkeye.

Your knowledge is like ISU football, Oh so close, but just not good enough.

Things I can't stand about ISU besides the obvious:

Their new logo is sh*t. Seriously, it is ugly as hell. You'd think a marketing department could do better than an "I" with the word "state" in a rainbow pattern over it. I don't think I've heard any ISU fan even try to defend that monstrosity and you almost never see any fans wearing clothes with that new logo...because even they hate it

The whole "Cyclone power" chant is insanely stupid.

The whole "cyclONE nation" thing. Its not clever, it doesnt roll of the tongue, its just dumb. First of all, to be a "nation" you have to have a large fan base spread out all over the place. ISU has one of the smallest power 5 fan bases in all of college sports. It did allow me to use the phrase "cyclONE and done" when they lost to UAB in the first round though.

I was at the game 2 years ago in Ames and their new speaker system is obnoxious. It just looks ugly as hell at the end of their field, and they had the thing blasting so loud that most of the ISU fans around me were covering their ears and complaining. It was pretty hilarious.

I think they changed it this year, but the last couple years they would come onto the field to an AC/DC song. Real original.

Anyone who has followed the series know this is Iowa state's biggest game of the season. I really wish the whole game would just go away because we have nothing to gain playing them.

Iowa is the Hawkeye state...has been since the 1800s. It's not because of a bird. Do your homework. The University of Iowa's team nickname is closely tied to that history.

HERKY the Hawk (a natural extension of the original "Hawkeye" or "Hawk-eye"), the cartoon mascot was created later (good thing they didn't go with the Indian theme...the PC gang on East Bank would have taken care of that by now). Either way...I'll take a glorious bird of prey or brave warrior over a random, unpredictable wind spinning in a circle any day.

But the mascot is a Hawk and I am aware of how the state nickname came to be. Just like Cy is a Cardinal, essentially for the color. I don't have any real issues with team names or mascots although K State's wildcat has to be the cheesiest and most hideous mascot I have seen.

Currently, Iowa is a 7-9 win program, winning or losing to ISU really doesn't matter except maybe twice a decade. Maybe things change once BF or whoever is the next coach, under Ferentz it usually takes until October before Iowa hits it stride. I was one that never complained about the schedule, granted I am not a season ticket holder, so take it fwiw.

It does matter, though. It mattered in 2002 and had an effect in 2015. Could have in between a couple years as well. You can't look into the future to see if it will matter in 2019, but could have an effect. Currently, Iowa has NOTHING to gain when it wins that game, and there is a drastic hit when they lose that game. A no win situation for Iowa. It doesn't really effect Iowa State either way, win or lose at this point. That is my point. A win for Iowa is really not worth the risk of losing to IA State when playing them.

Hey Cliff Clavin,

It's more likely that ISU named their stadium after a prominent figure because Iowa did so than the other way around.

I didn't say it was 'more likely the other way around'. I said it was most likely that neither impacted the other significantly. I also pointed out that ISU's facilities have been named after members of the program for much longer than Iowa's, meaning the claim that ISU was just 'copying' Iowa is untrue.

I said the name "Hawkeyes" partly refers to a bird and this is true in the modern concept. We know the history from the 1830's but the meaning to sports fans also refers to a bird.

In the modern concept, yes. However, ISU debuted Cy prior to Herkey's first appearance as a mascot, meaning that the claim that ISU was just 'copying' Iowa is untrue.

I'd rather copy a uniform from a higher league than one that already exists in the league my team plays for.

I couldn't care less where any team gets the concept for their uniform from, but calling out ISU for 'copying' a uniform when Iowa is essentially wearing Pittsburgh's uniforms is absurdly hypocritical.

It does matter, though. It mattered in 2002 and had an effect in 2015. Could have in between a couple years as well. You can't look into the future to see if it will matter in 2019, but could have an effect. Currently, Iowa has NOTHING to gain when it wins that game, and there is a drastic hit when they lose that game. A no win situation for Iowa. It doesn't really effect Iowa State either way, win or lose at this point. That is my point. A win for Iowa is really not worth the risk of losing to IA State when playing them.
I agree, I would rather drop this game and get throttled by a top tier sec, pac12,acc team then to continue this mercy game to clownville that if we win great that's how it should be and if you lose you basically screw yourself the rest of the year and that loss is held over your head by the national pundits no matter how well we do the rest of the season. It is truly a no win game for Iowa. I guarantee an early season loss to bama, usc, lsu, miami,or any of those would not hurt at the end of the year like this one game does if you p** it away.

It's from a Chicago Tribune article in 1895. They described the game as such:

“Struck by a Cyclone…Northwestern might as well have tried to play football with an Iowa cyclone as with the Iowa team it met yesterday. At the end of fifty minute’s play the big husky farmers from Iowa’s Agricultural College had rolled up 36 points, while 15 yard line was the nearest Northwestern got to Iowa’s goal.”

Name basically stuck from there.

Interesting. How the heck did you find that?

I agree, I would rather drop this game and get throttled by a top tier sec, pac12,acc team then to continue this mercy game to clownville that if we win great that's how it should be and if you lose you basically screw yourself the rest of the year and that loss is held over your head by the national pundits no matter how well we do the rest of the season. It is truly a no win game for Iowa. I guarantee an early season loss to bama, usc, lsu, miami,or any of those would not hurt at the end of the year like this one game does if you p** it away.

I'd even go on to wager and say a loss to Alabama, USC, LSU, etc. would be better than a win against Iowa State. That is if the game was played relatively close obviously.

I'd even go on to wager and say a loss to Alabama, USC, LSU, etc. would be better than a win against Iowa State. That is if the game was played relatively close obviously.
You damn right it would ! If played close the pundits would recognize that fact in their discussion that Iowa was a pesky team that wouldn't go away, but only if it wasn't one of our latest bowl game performances.

I didn't say it was 'more likely the other way around'. I said it was most likely that neither impacted the other significantly. I also pointed out that ISU's facilities have been named after members of the program for much longer than Iowa's, meaning the claim that ISU was just 'copying' Iowa is untrue.

In the modern concept, yes. However, ISU debuted Cy prior to Herkey's first appearance as a mascot, meaning that the claim that ISU was just 'copying' Iowa is untrue.

I couldn't care less where any team gets the concept for their uniform from, but calling out ISU for 'copying' a uniform when Iowa is essentially wearing Pittsburgh's uniforms is absurdly hypocritical.

Iowa didn't try and hide from copying the Steelers uniforms, they owned it and were proud of it. As someone else has pointed out, ISU has changed its uniform concept 4-5 times since Iowa took on the Steelers' look and apparently has settled on USC's look. I don't know but has ISU owned that they've copied another colleges' uniform?

Iowa/Iowa St. has become a litmus test of what type of season Iowa will have. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. We all know if Iowa loses it will be a 6 or 7 win season. If they can expose Iowa's weaknesses, it means everyone left on the schedule can do the same. I personally would like to move on from Iowa/Iowa St game that being said with the exception of '02 the Iowa/ISU game hasn't mattered, imo. It hasn't prevented them from getting more lucrative bowls, it wouldn't have prevented them from making the playoffs in 2015.

Iowa/Iowa St. has become a litmus test of what type of season Iowa will have. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. We all know if Iowa loses it will be a 6 or 7 win season. If they can expose Iowa's weaknesses, it means everyone left on the schedule can do the same. I personally would like to move on from Iowa/Iowa St game that being said with the exception of '02 the Iowa/ISU game hasn't mattered, imo. It hasn't prevented them from getting more lucrative bowls, it wouldn't have prevented them from making the playoffs in 2015.

Valid points about the game being a litmus test. The 2002 game the exception, but, that game had high expectations for both teams and was a really fun atmosphere and game. I disagree that it could have an impact on a lucrative bowl and even Iowa was on the fringe of the playoffs in 2015 even beating ISU, which didn't help their SOS for selection.

Latest posts