One thing on this DJK thing that I don't get...

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
When I was 18...some 35 + years ago, I got picked up for pot possesion. Disappointed my parents and family greatly. Obviously didn't do any jail time but still carry that embarrasment with me today. Those days are long long gone. Now married over 25 yrs, 2 successful grown children that I think I have risen correctly. My point is that young people make stupid decisions everyday. DJK is another in a long line of young people that justify things in their own minds and make stupid choices. He can bounce back from this. Hope he does.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
When I was 18...some 35 + years ago, I got picked up for pot possesion. Disappointed my parents and family greatly. Obviously didn't do any jail time but still carry that embarrasment with me today. Those days are long long gone. Now married over 25 yrs, 2 successful grown children that I think I have risen correctly. My point is that young people make stupid decisions everyday. DJK is another in a long line of young people that justify things in their own minds and make stupid choices. He can bounce back from this. Hope he does.

Amen.

CAARHawk, u ever have a drug or alcohol problem?

I will choose not to answer that question directly on this site and it is kind of a weird reason. I do a lot of research on AA and other forms of treatment for drug and alcohol and have been involved in several points of disagreement with some key individuals regarding the ethical aspects of public disclosure. It can become complicated whether or not you answer that question in the affirmative. This isn't a condemnation on others who divulge such information publicly, I just feel I need to be extra vigilent, as I am a researcher on this subject.

Of course, I have no problem addressing these issues through PM.

That being said, having been intricately involved in addressing issues of abuse, addiction, and recovery for over 2 decades, I have a ton of personal experience involving both amazing success and immense tragedy.

CAARHawk, u ever have a drug or alcohol problem?

They only become problems because people make them problems. You don't have to try alcohol, you don't have to try drugs etc.... I have a close family member who had a big problem and I never and still don't show him any sympathy because it was of his own doing that it became a problem.

I helped them through it but, the only sympathy I felt was for the other family members that were affected by this person's decisions.

To many people today say its a disease or they are addicted, it only got to that point because they began doing it.

In today's society kids, like DJK, are taught about the effects and consequences of using illegal substances when they get into 4th or 5th grade (even earlier) but they don't listen. Thats the problem.

They only become problems because people make them problems. You don't have to try alcohol, you don't have to try drugs etc.... I have a close family member who had a big problem and I never and still don't show him any sympathy because it was of his own doing that it became a problem.

I helped them through it but, the only sympathy I felt was for the other family members that were affected by this person's decisions.

To many people today say its a disease or they are addicted, it only got to that point because they began doing it.

In today's society kids, like DJK, are taught about the effects and consequences of using illegal substances when they get into 4th or 5th grade (even earlier) but they don't listen. Thats the problem.

ppl start their own fire, no doubt.

i have more compassion for folks in the early stages of their problems than i do in later stages. then that compassion shifts more to the family and loved ones

The image I have is from watching senior day 2010 on TV: DJK was emotional from the student welcome he received and when he greeted his parents, you could read from his mom's lips that she told DJK "we are so proud of you." Imagine what you would tell your son and the pride you would feel if you were out on the field on senior day greeting him. And then to have this situation follow that rare moment in life. You are right, there is nothing funny about this situation.

Seriously people. Just stop! It is like you think you know how to talk about astro-physics because you see things fall when you drop them. You really are just making fools of yourselves.

There is ample evidence that people who become habitual long term addicts and alcoholics start with a genetic predisposition, most likely associated with damaged seratonin and dopamine receptors. The addiction or abuse is often a form of self-medicating. There is also evidence that people can damage these receptors with significant narcotic use. The problem is that continued use causes other factors that limit the medicating effect, which leads to increasing tolerance and the need for greater abuse.

Yes, the vast majority of alcohol and drug abusers are just irresponsible people who eventually grow up. But the habitual user is a completely different beast, because there is a genetic disposition.

Unfortunately, we don't do anything to help deal with that predisposition until it shows up as abuse. You can provide someone with awareness about the harmful effects of drugs, but clearly this thread shows that there is very, very little actual awareness regarding the actual existing knowledge of addiction and recovery.

Last edited:
The image I have is from watching senior day 2010 on TV: DJK was emotional from the student welcome he received and when he greeted his parents, you could read from his mom's lips that she told DJK "we are so proud of you." Imagine what you would tell your son and the pride you would feel if you were out on the field on senior day greeting him. And then to have this situation follow that rare moment in life. You are right, there is nothing funny about this situation.

Welcome to parenthood. It is a daily occurrence the world over.

I think that CAAR is right in that we don't know yet if this is an addiction personality or an experimentation peer-pleaser. I do know that having married into a family that is strewn with addiction problems, that what he is going through can be cured either way, but only, and I mean only, if he himself wants to work on it. It will not be an easy path if it is just shoved under the table and he is forgotten about. It will take additional support and understanding from his family, friends, and teammates.

The saving grace is that the potential problems are discovered now while he is still young; and that it may have a huge positive impact in helping many of those around him to steer their own ship in a correct path. Having lost family member(s) due to prescription addiction, I personally could rant on for along while on this topic. Suffice it to say, that they are too readily available to anyone wanting/needing them, and they can be extremely addictive. Good Luck DJK, now more than ever.

Seriously people. Just stop! It is like you think you know how to talk about astro-physics because you see things fall when you drop them. You really are just making fools of yourselves.

There is ample evidence that people who become habitual long term addicts and alcoholics start with a genetic predisposition, most likely associated with damaged seratonin and dopamine receptors. The addiction or abuse is often a form of self-medicating. There is also evidence that people can damage these receptors with significant narcotic use. The problem is that continued use causes other factors that limit the medicating effect, which leads to increasing tolerance and the need for greater abuse.

Yes, the vast majority of alcohol and drug abusers are just irresponsible people who eventually grow up. But the habitual user is a completely different beast, because there is a genetic disposition.

Unfortunately, we don't do anything to help deal with that predisposition until it shows up as abuse. You can provide someone with awareness about the harmful effects of drugs, but clearly this thread shows that there is very, very little actual awareness regarding the actual existing knowledge of addiction and recovery.

CAARHawk -

People like things neatly tied up in a single little box with a nice, neat explanation. If they could pin it all on a single gene ... they'd love to. If they could blame it on obvious social factors ... they'd try to do that too.

Similarly, they want the story concerning treatment to be equally simple and neat.

Just because someone has compassion for another, or "feels sorry" for them, doesn't mean they want to let them off of the hook, in fact, when dealing with drug users the most compassionate thing you can do for them is to NOT let them off the hook.

Last edited:

I am in no way an asto-physicist, but you believe that genes cause this can considered laughable. There is no gene that "tells" a person to go out and try alcohol or drugs. People may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism or something but in that situation then that person must have seen a family member destroyed by it and still makes the choice to try it, that is dumb.

Blaming genes for everything lets people off the hook. I was a teacher for a long time and kids would come in with ADHD, take meds, but still act like little sh*** purposely because they would just say, oh, "its my adhd" because people give them an excuse as to why it OK. Its not.

The only thing I will find humorous about this is the answers Kirk gives when he is asked about it. My top contenders:

1. "We're going to let the legal process run its course."
2. "They're well coached."
3. "He didn't execute well."
4. "This needs to get cleaned up."
5. "What's twitter, do you twit, what is that? I'm not aware of that."

I am in no way an asto-physicist, but you believe that genes cause this can considered laughable. There is no gene that "tells" a person to go out and try alcohol or drugs. People may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism or something but in that situation then that person must have seen a family member destroyed by it and still makes the choice to try it, that is dumb.

Blaming genes for everything lets people off the hook. I was a teacher for a long time and kids would come in with ADHD, take meds, but still act like little sh*** purposely because they would just say, oh, "its my adhd" because people give them an excuse as to why it OK. Its not.
Numerous studies have shown time and time again that addiction is often due to genetic predisposition. Ha ha?

I joke about everything. I make fun of myself a lot too.

Humor is there, always. As long as you don't cross the line. Where the line is drawn is up to the individual.

Is the DJK thing a sad deal? You bet. But it's not like this was a snap judgment error here by him. It's not like he got wasted one night and in a blur of misjudgment got behind the wheel and received an OWI/DUI. He had weed and cocaine in his house, along with prescription drugs. That's NOT a snap judgment. That is a LIFESTYLE decision. If a person is going to take risks like that, they had better be ready to face the music if/when they get caught.

That is why humor is allow here, in my very humble opinion. If you make a decision like that, you made your bed and have to lie in it, especially as a 23 year old 5th year senior on a (formerly) nationally ranked football team.

Just my thoughts on that.

Just because someone has compassion for another, or "feels sorry" for them, doesn't mean they want to let them off of the hook, in fact, when dealing with drug users the most compassionate thing you can do for them is to NOT let them off the hook.

DJK has been arrested, and faces several charges. I dont think anyone is advocating lenience, or getting off the hook.

This is America and people have the constitutional right to find humor in whatever they want to and to greatly express those choices in public. Personally, I find NOTHING humorous about dug use/addiction or a young adult throwing his life and/or career away.

DJK has been arrested, and faces several charges. I dont think anyone is advocating lenience, or getting off the hook.

Agreed. That is one thing that is nice about this fanbase. Believe me, I live in SEC country, if you heard what these 'fans' are willing to overlook for the sake of winning, you would be amazed.

I joke about everything. I make fun of myself a lot too.

Humor is there, always. As long as you don't cross the line. Where the line is drawn is up to the individual.

Is the DJK thing a sad deal? You bet. But it's not like this was a snap judgment error here by him. It's not like he got wasted one night and in a blur of misjudgment got behind the wheel and received an OWI/DUI. He had weed and cocaine in his house, along with prescription drugs. That's NOT a snap judgment. That is a LIFESTYLE decision. If a person is going to take risks like that, they had better be ready to face the music if/when they get caught.

That is why humor is allow here, in my very humble opinion. If you make a decision like that, you made your bed and have to lie in it, especially as a 23 year old 5th year senior on a (formerly) nationally ranked football team.

Just my thoughts on that.

This.

And throw in the fact that he made it pretty clear how much he loved the spotlight and a certain someone wouldn't allow him to be who he truly is. I would also add that this wasn't his freshmen year; he wasn't given a drug dealer for a roommate, as Spank pointed out those choices are on him.

I think to most the humor is after such a disappointing year what else could go wrong and then they are hit in the face with this. Almost like HA HA what the hell else could go wrong.

That said I hope to hell he has learned his lesson and can turn this into a positive sometime during his life whether that is helping kids that come from the same background he did or something else.

This.

And throw in the fact that he made it pretty clear how much he loved the spotlight and a certain someone wouldn't allow him to be who he truly is. I would also add that this wasn't his freshmen year; he wasn't given a drug dealer for a roommate, as Spank pointed out those choices are on him.

I think to most the humor is after such a disappointing year what else could go wrong and then they are hit in the face with this. Almost like HA HA what the hell else could go wrong.

That said I hope to hell he has learned his lesson and can turn this into a positive sometime during his life whether that is helping kids that come from the same background he did or something else.

I agree with this. After the season we had, you just shake your head and laugh, ask what’s next.
The drug use/addiction did not destroy his life/career. The law did. Clearly this guy got it done on the field, and in the classroom while “on drugsâ€￾.
What an idiot though.

Latest posts