One thing on this DJK thing that I don't get...

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
well, one of the things.

I am seeing folks on twitter, message boards, etc, cracking jokes about this

Perhaps I am just a 39 year old fuddy duddy or something, but I don't find anything humorous about this situation.

A young person has made an enormous mistake...one that could cost him dearly, one that could take away one of the primary options of his life, which is to play in the NFL...he has the talent to do that, too.

He made a very, very bad mistake...perhaps a string of them. And he will pay for them, like we all have paid for the mistakes we have made. He made the bed, he'll have to lay in it and deal with the repercussions.

I hope this is something that saves his life, because getting mixed up in the stuff he was mixed up in is certainly a road to a short life. I hope this can turn out to be a turning point for him for a better life, and not the instance that defines his life.

I suspect we have all had crossroads moments in our lives...most of us nothing of this magnitude...but some of close to it.

I don't find one ounce of humor in any of it. I just think its very, very sad.

i find it funny because it was clear for 5 years that coach was trying to make him grow him while DJK just laughed it off.

It is sad. So sad that sometimes, humor is the only way to deal with it. We're talking about a senior laden team that was supposedly good enough to play in the NCG, and at worst, win a Big Ten title. Instead, we're sitting on 7-5 season, and now we find out that our school's all-time leading receiver and one of the most favorite of the seniors, is being arrested on drug charges.

No, Jon, this was something DJK brought on himself. The only folks I feel bad for, are his parents and family.

Agree w/Jon completely.

Something about posting anonymously from the comfort & security of your own home that narrows the synapse gap in peoples brains.

Gallows humor.

It's so pathetic, depressing and wrong that some of us just have to laugh at it. Especially in the context of this wasted (no pun intended) season.

well, one of the things.

Perhaps I am just a 39 year old fuddy duddy or something, but I don't find anything humorous about this situation.

A young person has made an enormous mistake...one that could cost him dearly, one that could take away one of the primary options of his life, which is to play in the NFL...he has the talent to do that, too.

He made a very, very bad mistake...perhaps a string of them. And he will pay for them, like we all have paid for the mistakes we have made. He made the bed, he'll have to lay in it and deal with the repercussions.

I hope this is something that saves his life, because getting mixed up in the stuff he was mixed up in is certainly a road to a short life. I hope this can turn out to be a turning point for him for a better life, and not the instance that defines his life.

I suspect we have all had crossroads moments in our lives...most of us nothing of this magnitude...but some of close to it.

Well said, Jon. I too, see absolutely zero humor in any of this. It's a very sad situation, and I hope that this scares him straight.

Its the shell - shock humor and insane laughter ....sort of like somebody being in a horrific car crash or disaster and just bursts into creepy laughter.

it's like the show "children's hospital", there's a reason why it's on really late at night.

well, one of the things.

I agree. Its sad, I dont care how old you are.

From what I understand the BW situation is also very sad. It may not be in the same ball park as DJK's problems. But, as I understand it, neither are good situations.

One thing about BW, he has a chance to get his life together, rejoin the football team and make a lot of money some day.

As for DJK he may have ruined his chances.

This "feel sorry for the criminal" attitude is more harmful to society than anything. Face it Jon, DJK is a loser. He was given more opportunities than most and threw it away. I hope the guy is busy practicing swallowing pineapples to prepare for his stay in the joint.

This "feel sorry for the criminal" attitude is more harmful to society than anything. Face it Jon, DJK is a loser. He was given more opportunities than most and threw it away. I hope the guy is busy practicing swallowing pineapples to prepare for his stay in the joint.

He's going to reap what he has sewn. What he has potentially lost is huge, and I certainly dont take any joy or humor in that.

Perhaps because I have had an 'on the brink' moment in my life, related to drinking, when I was way down in a hole, perhaps I feel more pity than anything else. Perhaps some folks that have not hit certain depths don't relate that way. I dont know.

I just know that I find this sad, as I do several instances of things like this where young people make such huge mistakes.

I figure this went down in one of two ways:

1. He's a college kid who wants the Ochocinco mistique and that comes with fancy clothes, fancy hair cuts, a fancy swager etc. Coke might factor into the "glitz." The muscle relaxors and pain meds could be legit. If this is the case, he's a damn knucklehead who threw away not only his reputation at Iowa, a possible NFL career and the admiration of the entire Hawkeye Nation. Most importantly, he'll have let down a family who loves him and likely sacrificed a fair amount to give him the very best shot at life. Sad and stupid but not necessarily tragic. He could move on.

2. He has alluded to addiction in his family tree. Maybe he developed a true dependance or addiction to these substances. If that's the case, while I still think he's stupid for throwing his chances away, my heart still goes out to him. Addiction is a b*tch and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. He and his family will need all the support they can get.

If I had to guess, I'd say he fits into scenerio one. Or maybe I just hope it's so.

He's going to reap what he has sewn. What he has potentially lost is huge, and I certainly dont take any joy or humor in that.

Perhaps because I have had an 'on the brink' moment in my life, related to drinking, when I was way down in a hole, perhaps I feel more pity than anything else. Perhaps some folks that have not hit certain depths don't relate that way. I dont know.

I just know that I find this sad, as I do several instances of things like this where young people make such huge mistakes.

What really disappointed me is that he not only hurt himself but he hurt his team, coach and fanbase who stood behind him all these years. He doesn't deserve pity. Everyone goes through tough times, but this hurt a lot of people.

What about the people he was selling the drugs to and their families? As someone who has watched two different people die from drug abuse and waiting for the phone to ring about a third, I find little sympathy for drug dealers.

DJK made bad decisions and it's a horrible thing, but to place your worry on him is unfair to those in which he was lining his pockets from.

This.
There is a difference in making excuses for him and finding this situation sad. I find it very sad. No reason to make a joke of it. If you can laugh at him then that is also sad.

This.
There is a difference in making excuses for him and finding this situation sad. I find it very sad. No reason to make a joke of it. If you can laugh at him then that is also sad.

I'm not joking about it, but I'm glad he was caught finally and will be removed from society. He's a real loser.

Latest posts