On the Record: Post your Iowa Basketball season predictions here

I am going with 23 wins prior to the NCAA Tournament.

This team is deeper than a lot of teams and will beat some just because the other team will get tired.

CAAR, if we go 12-6 in B1G, you totally rule! If, however, we go 10-8 and win 2 in BTT...you STILL rule!

Non-con: 11-2
B!G: 7-11
B!G Tourney: 1-1
NIT: 2-1

Total: 21-15

images

Then we'll come back and look at them in March

There are 31 regular season games; 18 conference and 13 non conference. Post your Non-Conference W-L, your regular season Big Ten conference W-L and which post season tournament (if any) you think Iowa will be selected for.

Here are mine: On the Record Iowa Basketball Season Prediction | Big Ten

11-2 NC
9-9 B1G

20-11...if I had to pick now, I'd say 1 or 2 seed in NIT

19-12. NIT 3 seed.

11-2 NC
8-10 conf

19-12 for the year. Just barely slip into NCAAs and win first round and second in an upset. Make sweet 16

Holding true for now. I hope we can win more than 8 in BIG but the season gets really tough now. Go Hawks

Interesting that people's expectations are mostly right on but people are still freaking out

I don't know that people are "freaking" out. But it's one thing to have expectations before the season starts and another thing entirely to see the season play out and know that they could have/should have beaten Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota and Nebraska....had leads in the final 90 seconds of each of those games, but lost every one of them. After awhile, that gets tough, especially knowing that if they win those, then we're looking at being 12-3 in the conference and tied for the lead with Indiana. At the end of the day, it's not about failure to meet expectations....it's about letting a potentially special season slip away....after spending the better part of the last 7 years in the equivalent of basketball purgatory.

With Iowa having more talent on this team then last years I cannot imagine them taking a step back. But I think most of the improvement we will see is in the non conference record.

Non Conference - 11-2
Conference - 8-10
B1G Conf Tourney - 1-1
Overall - 20-13

Bubble NCAA team, but most likely NIT bound. I think the magic number between the B1G conference season and tournament is 10 wins, if Iowa can get to 10 wins then they are NCAA bound.

Ok I am laughing at the bubble suggestion with the 8-10 conference record. But to be fair I thought Iowa would pull out a few more upsets and Penn State (with Frazier) and Northwestern (with Crawford) would be much better.

But beware if my predicted records come true, I will post it all over the place. :)

I don't know that people are "freaking" out. But it's one thing to have expectations before the season starts and another thing entirely to see the season play out and know that they could have/should have beaten Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota and Nebraska....had leads in the final 90 seconds of each of those games, but lost every one of them. After awhile, that gets tough, especially knowing that if they win those, then we're looking at being 12-3 in the conference and tied for the lead with Indiana. At the end of the day, it's not about failure to meet expectations....it's about letting a potentially special season slip away....after spending the better part of the last 7 years in the equivalent of basketball purgatory.

I am just making the point we are very very close to be right at the expectations and still can exceed them.
Yes people have been freaking out and it's people who don't understand that this team has three freshman playing a lot of minuites. Fran is doing a amazing job... just think back to what Iowa basketball has been before he got here.

Ok I am laughing at the bubble suggestion with the 8-10 conference record. But to be fair I thought Iowa would pull out a few more upsets and Penn State (with Frazier) and Northwestern (with Crawford) would be much better.

But beware if my predicted records come true, I will post it all over the place. :)

To be honest I wouldn't be that suprised if they get in with that record.

I am just making the point we are very very close to be right at the expectations and still can exceed them.
Yes people have been freaking out and it's people who don't understand that this team has three freshman playing a lot of minuites. Fran is doing a amazing job... just think back to what Iowa basketball has been before he got here.

I don't deny that the team, record wise, is performing right at the majority of people's expectations. But human nature being what it is, once results start coming as the season plays out, people's expectations begin to change. And when people see how painfully CLOSE we've been in every game, save Michigan, then people tend to get upset. Nothing wrong with that....it's better than the apathy at the end of Alford's tenure and all the way thru Lickliter's tenure.

By the way, you mentioned thinking aback to what Iowa basketball has been before Fran got here. I do think about that. I think of the 16 NCAA tournaments we made in a 21 year stretch from 1978-1999. I think of the 5 Sweet Sixteen's or better we acheived in those 16 NCAA tournaments.

Make no mistake about it, Fran is doing a great job, but we're still not where Iowa has been, historically, in the college basketball landscape.

I don't deny that the team, record wise, is performing right at the majority of people's expectations. But human nature being what it is, once results start coming as the season plays out, people's expectations begin to change. And when people see how painfully CLOSE we've been in every game, save Michigan, then people tend to get upset. Nothing wrong with that....it's better than the apathy at the end of Alford's tenure and all the way thru Lickliter's tenure.

By the way, you mentioned thinking aback to what Iowa basketball has been before Fran got here. I do think about that. I think of the 16 NCAA tournaments we made in a 21 year stretch from 1978-1999. I think of the 5 Sweet Sixteen's or better we acheived in those 16 NCAA tournaments.

Make no mistake about it, Fran is doing a great job, but we're still not where Iowa has been, historically, in the college basketball landscape.

Give it time the man is in his third year...Iowa is close.

Give it time the man is in his third year...Iowa is close.

Iowa's back to Alford era basketball. Next year we return to Tom Davis. The year after that, the Lute Era. Than Fran wins a national title and all future eras of Iowa college basketball will be compared to the Fran era.

When I talked about where Iowa was I was referring to Iowa in my memory. I should have said that.

Latest posts