ON THE RECORD: My Final FB Predictio & Yours

On paper I think the Hawks are at least 11-1. That being said, I think the only 2 assured wins are EIU and Ball State, and after last year, those aren't even certainties.

I think injuries will play a huge role, as they do w/ almost every team. In particular, any issues along the OL or safety positions could be potentially disastrous.

In '08 Stanzi had fumble issues, but not much interception problems. In '09 he had interception issues, but very few fumble issues. What does he do in '10? As others have stated, turnovers will likely play a large role, in particular any turnovers returned for TDs.

The other thing that intrigues me is how teams will play. I could see UM losing it's first couple games (UConn and ND) and when IA shows up for Homecoming UM could be 3-3 and ready to pack the season in (having just been beat up by MSU), 6-0 riding high, or somewhere in between. How good will MSU be? Most people expect them to be very formidable, but how will they deal w/ expectations? Will this be the season PSU turns the tables on IA? And re the Hawks 1st road test, how good will AZ be? I could easily see the Hawks running the table, but wouldn't be surprised to see us at 7-5 either, in particular if the trend of playing at the competitor's level continues. To say this season will be interesting is a serious understatement.

Actually, you have to consider how many passes Stanzi threw in 2008. His INT's per attempt was still higher in 2009 (at .05), but not by a whole lot (.04 in 2008). Had Stanzi thrown as many passes in 2008 as he did in 2009, he would have had a similar INT total.

It is so hard to predict results for Iowa teams. Everything depends on injuries, breaks, turnovers, etc. etc.

If Stanzi stays healthy and plays all 12 games, I think we will have a tremendous season. We also need Hampton or Robinson to be healthy in each game.

I am not concerned about the OL, but I hope the LBs can play up to the level of last year. We know the DL will be outstanding, so if the LBs fill the gaps and make the tackles, watch out.

I believe that the Iowa State game is the most important game of the season. We must win that game with no serious injuries.

If we beat Iowa State, I predict 10-2 and a BCS bowl game (assuming we beat Ohio State) or 9-3 and a New Year's Day bowl game (if we don't).

The Big Ten will be very tough so running the table seems impossible to me.

Holy crap I haven't read something this funny in a long time. I can't wait to come back to this thread after Iowa's first loss.

I think Iowa goes 9-3.

Last edited:
I want to play!

Iowa/EIU - W 42-7 Iowa gets it's ground game going after a slow start on a hot day!

Iowa/ISU - W 28-14 I think this one will be closer than we hope, but never in doubt.

Iowa/Zona - W 17-13 Offense struggles a bit but Iowa holds on.

Iowa/Ball St. - W 45-7 Jewell has a big day and solidifies his job the rest of the way.

Iowa/PSU - W 28-14 The owning continues, but a little breathing room this time.

BYE - nobody has been commenting on this week, but I predict Iowa remains unbeaten.

Iowa/UM - W 37-31 Another high scoring affair.

Iowa/Wisky - W 21-20 DJK kick return the winning score.

Iowa/MSU - W 27-24OT Huge day for Stanzi. MSU turns the ball over on their first OT possession and Murray kicks the game winner.

Iowa/IU - W 35-10 Iowa puts the Hoosiers away early and McNutt gets 3 scores.

Iowa/NW - W 24-20 This game scares me. Defense scores a TD late to seal it.

Iowa/OSU - L 14-13 The Big One. Miserable weather keeps both Os from producing much but OSU gets a late score after trailing most of the game.

Iowa/Minn. - W 41-14 Iowa sends Weber off in style. Hawk fans celebrate a shared Big Ten crown with OSU (7-1).

Bowl: Iowa 27 OU 21

I don't see how Iowa puts up 27 on Oklahoma. If Iowa would OU I think it would have to be a low scoring game.

Holy crap I haven't read something this funny in a long time. I can't wait to come back to this thread after Iowa's first loss.

I think Iowa goes 9-3.

These are predictions, by amateurs, wearing Black and Gold glasses.
I'm sure you predicted all of those 2-9, 3-8 or 1-10 seasons the Clowns put up.
You want to read something funny? Look up Cyclone football, a history of.
I always get a chuckle out of that.

I think Iowa goes 9-3.

Sure expectations are running wild in this thread but what do you expect? Go read the Cyclone Fanatic thread about season predictions and you will find the same homerism, optimism, etc. If you find me a message board with below expected predictions in a win/loss prediction thread I will give you a dollar

vs EIU - 99% Iowa victory (55-0, Iowa W)
vs ISU - 80% Iowa victory (31-14, Iowa W)
vs UA - 70% Iowa victory (27-20, Iowa W)
vs Ball State - 97% Iowa victory (41-3, Iowa W)
vs PSU - 75% Iowa victory (27 - 10, Iowa W)
vs UM - 60% Iowa loss (24 - 28, Iowa L)
vs UW - 70% Iowa victory (27-16, Iowa W)
vs MSU - 65% Iowa victory (20-17, Iowa W)
vs IU - 80% Iowa victory (40-10, Iowa W)
vs NW - 60% Iowa victory (31-27, Iowa W)
vs tOSU - 40% Iowa victory (23-20, Iowa W)
vs Minn - 85% Iowa victory (30-7, Iowa W)

There are few years you can pick your team to have an outstanding season, and they actually have a legit chance to follow through. So here is my picks:

EIU - W 45-0
Iowa St - W 31-10
Arizona - W 20-17
Ball St - W 38-3
Penn St - W 24-10
Michigan - W 28-24
Wisconsin - W 27-17
Michigan St - W 21-14
Indiana - W 34-14
Northwestern - W 38-17
Ohio St - W 24-20
Minnesota - W 31-10

Uhhhh, I just keep getting this horrible feeling in my gut about this. It's like my baseball season all over again (Mariner's, had picked up Cliff Lee, had filled in a few players, coming off a decent season, expectations were high, and then . . . well, it was/is ugly). There are so many unexpected things that can come up yet. As previous posters mentioned, we had a LOT of balls bounce our way last year. But on the flip side, on paper, we really have a legitimate shot at winning every game this year.

Now imagine how "into" a game you get and the ulcers it creates. This season is going to kill me.

Pass the Pepto! :)

Uhhhh, I just keep getting this horrible feeling in my gut about this. It's like my baseball season all over again (Mariner's, had picked up Cliff Lee, had filled in a few players, coming off a decent season, expectations were high, and then . . . well, it was/is ugly). There are so many unexpected things that can come up yet. As previous posters mentioned, we had a LOT of balls bounce our way last year. But on the flip side, on paper, we really have a legitimate shot at winning every game this year.

Now imagine how "into" a game you get and the ulcers it creates. This season is going to kill me.

If you survived last season (and judging by your pressence here, you did), then you can make it through anything! lol

Here the way I look at it.

Teams Iowa should beat fairly easily: EIU, Ball State, Iowa State, Indiana, Minnesota. Hopefully, Iowa can get out to fast starts against these teams (especially Indiana and Minnesota) and take the drama out of the equation quickly. ISU will put up a fight, but the reality is that that game should be decided after 3 quarters. Need to be 5-0 against these teams.

Teams Iowa should beat: Arizona, Penn State, Michigan State, Northwestern, Michigan. Arizona will be a good test, but nobody knows what Michigan teams is going to show up. All of these games are toss ups, but anything less than 4-1 against these five teams is a disappointment.

So that leaves Wisconsin and Ohio State. Get at least a split there, and you're looking at 10-2, and probably in the BCS again.

I know that arguments based on "history" hold absolutely no water. However, I continue to be struck by how Wisky's still needed to scrape by with a 24-21 victory over Iowa in their "magical" 12-1 2006 season. That was BB's first year as head coach there too ... and Iowa had pretty much already imploded at that point. Thus, it kinda goes without saying that Iowa sucked that season.

By purely emotional, gut-reaction "logic" ... I find it almost impossible for Wisky to beat Iowa at Kinnick when the Hawks are playing quality football.

On paper and in terms of legit reasoning ... the Iowa vs Wisky game looks like a great, tough match-up. However, my gut tells me that Iowa wins. Thus, for whatever reason ... at least when I'm "thinking with my gut" ... it's not a game I'm terribly worried about.

I know that arguments based on "history" hold absolutely no water. However, I continue to be struck by how Wisky's still needed to scrape by with a 24-21 victory over Iowa in their "magical" 12-1 2006 season. That was BB's first year as head coach there too ... and Iowa had pretty much already imploded at that point. Thus, it kinda goes without saying that Iowa sucked that season.

By purely emotional, gut-reaction "logic" ... I find it almost impossible for Wisky to beat Iowa at Kinnick when the Hawks are playing quality football.

On paper and in terms of legit reasoning ... the Iowa vs Wisky game looks like a great, tough match-up. However, my gut tells me that Iowa wins. Thus, for whatever reason ... at least when I'm "thinking with my gut" ... it's not a game I'm terribly worried about.

Same here. Even if the Badgers really are that good, we have by far the better (and infinitely smarter) coach.

I was at that 2006 game. We actually played a decent game (not great, but decent). But our safety play was nowhere near the level that it is now. I remember that Paschal got burned deep once or twice, I know he took an interfence call on one to save a TD. And as good as Clay is, I would take a healthy P.J. Hill over him (and Hill was healthy for that game). They also had Travis Beckum (healthy), Paul Hubbard, and Luke Swan (he always seemed to have good games against us, a lot like Ross Lane from Northwestern).

Wow ... so much depends on the health of the squad here.

If the squad can maintain good personnel continuity, here is my view:

vs EIU - 100% Iowa victory (52-3, Iowa W)
vs ISU - 88.5% Iowa victory (27-17, Iowa W ... closer game than I'd like because of the pre-season injuries)
vs UA - 65% Iowa victory (33-20, Iowa W)
vs Ball State - 99% Iowa victory (38-6, Iowa W)
vs PSU - 61.5% Iowa victory (24 - 13, Iowa W)
vs UM - 72.5% Iowa victory (34 - 20, Iowa W)
vs UW - 52.5% Iowa victory (20-17, Iowa W)
vs MSU - 50% Iowa victory (17-24, Iowa L)
vs IU - 82.5% Iowa victory (38-17, Iowa W)
vs NW - 75.5% Iowa victory (28-17, Iowa W)
vs tOSU - 45% Iowa victory (17-23, Iowa L)
vs Minn - 87.5% Iowa victory (42-10, Iowa W)

There you have my prediction, 10-2. And I anticipate that that will end up being enough for us finishing #2 in the Big 10.

Oh come on Homer, you gotta have more faith than that! I mean, this is the Iowa Hawkeyes we're talking about. Just say it with me... "UNDEFEATED!"

Wow ... so much depends on the health of the squad here.

If the squad can maintain good personnel continuity, here is my view:

vs EIU - 100% Iowa victory (52-3, Iowa W)
vs ISU - 88.5% Iowa victory (27-17, Iowa W ... closer game than I'd like because of the pre-season injuries)
vs UA - 65% Iowa victory (33-20, Iowa W)
vs Ball State - 99% Iowa victory (38-6, Iowa W)
vs PSU - 61.5% Iowa victory (24 - 13, Iowa W)
vs UM - 72.5% Iowa victory (34 - 20, Iowa W)
vs UW - 52.5% Iowa victory (20-17, Iowa W)
vs MSU - 50% Iowa victory (17-24, Iowa L)
vs IU - 82.5% Iowa victory (38-17, Iowa W)
vs NW - 75.5% Iowa victory (28-17, Iowa W)
vs tOSU - 45% Iowa victory (17-23, Iowa L)
vs Minn - 87.5% Iowa victory (42-10, Iowa W)

There you have my prediction, 10-2. And I anticipate that that will end up being enough for us finishing #2 in the Big 10.

What do you see in Michigan State that make you think they'll walk out of Kinnick with a win?

I was at that 2006 game. We actually played a decent game (not great, but decent). But our safety play was nowhere near the level that it is now. I remember that Paschal got burned deep once or twice, I know he took an interfence call on one to save a TD. And as good as Clay is, I would take a healthy P.J. Hill over him (and Hill was healthy for that game). They also had Travis Beckum (healthy), Paul Hubbard, and Luke Swan (he always seemed to have good games against us, a lot like Ross Lane from Northwestern).

I was there as well. Frustrating.

yeah, 2006 Wisky game sucked. We were down 14-17 with 7 min to go in the third quarter and had the ball 4th and inches at wisky 44 yard line. We punted. It was an absolutely gutless call. Wisconsin then drove 97 yards for the TD and the win. Game Over.

What do you see in Michigan State that make you think they'll walk out of Kinnick with a win?

MSU is better than folks think ... and they're not going to have all the distractions they had last year. Cousins is arguably the best passing QB in the Big 10, Iowa is breaking in a new LEO LB, and Prater is having "hammy issues." On top of all that ... MSU's combined group of WRs and TEs is second to NONE in the Big 10. On top of that, they have serious talent at RB too ... so expect them to feature a stronger running game too.

Lastly, they are a squad that is pretty darn loaded talent-wise ... and they're pretty well coached to boot.

I have the game predicted as a 50-50 PUSH ... and the outcome could frankly go either way.

I could see MSU squeaking out a close victory ... however, I could also see Iowa squeaking one out too.

Latest posts