ON THE RECORD: My Final FB Predictio & Yours

maybe this stat is buried in this thread - but wondering when the last time it was that iowa beat both Michigan and OSU in the same year?
WOW :eek: as far as I can tell it has never happened. In 1924 Iowa tied OSU 0-0 and beat Michigan 9-2. In 1988 Iowa tied OSU 24-24 and Michigan 17-17

10-2... but I'm going a different way... we go 0-2 against the state of Michigan. I just don't fell good about the game at Michigan and I am still worried about playing Michigan State even at home.

Iowa 35 E.Ill. 0
Iowa 31 ISU 6
Iowa 27 AZ 7
Iowa 49 Ball St 0
Iowa 21 Penn St 12
Iowa 42 Michigan 20
Iowa 17 Wisconsin 14
Iowa 21 MSU 10
Iowa 31 Indiana 17
Iowa 27 NW 12
Iowa 21 OSU 20
Iowa 52 Minn. 0

High scoring offense. Dominate defense. National Champions.

Jon you get paid the big bucks for the full analysis, I don't so I'm just going to indicate that the Hawks will go 12-0 for the season. Book it, expect it, it's coming. Should be a magical season baby!

Eastern Illinois: A good game to open the season with EIU is ranked 19th in the FCS polls ,4 spots behind last years opener UNI, they are installing a new pistol offense, which bob spoo has stated has been slower to get up and running then he would of liked. Starting RB is also out for this game with a knee injury.

Iowa 40 EIU 7 against the 3rd stringers.

Iowa State: ISU always gives us a wake up, this is still one of if not the biggest game for them. After a scare to start, Iowa clamps down and wins 38-10

at Arizona: Arizona will be coming off games at Tulane and the Citadel to open their season, I feel that their new defense and coordinator will be untested, and that Iowa will be able to exploit that. Time and Temps will be a factor but I pick Iowa to win 28-17.

Ball State: Its ball state, it is however the classic trap game, after a tough game at Arizona and before Penn state comes to town, Iowa shows up, but just only 14-3.

Penn State: Iowa beats up their new QB and holds Royster below 100 yards, Iowa 28 psu 3.

at Michigan The bye week is key as Iowa defeats Mich, in the big house 21-7, Iowa is able to dominate after facing Georgia techs triple option and Forcier and Robinson are forced to pass the ball. Also the noted injuries play a factor.

Wisconsin: Wisky will be coming off a very tough game against OSU prior to facing the hawks. They are without a doubt a very good ball club this year and have tons of potential, I'm going to give the edge to Iowa, I think our D will be unbreakable at this point in the season and will be able to contain clay. Iowa 30-Wisky 23

Michigan State: Another very tough game for the hawks, these guys are going to be a dark horse in the B10 this year, Iowa squeaks out another close one 21-17

at Indiana: Hopefully what happened last year wont happen again this year, IU does return some of their offense which seemed to hurt us last year, including Tandon Doss and Ben Chappell. Iowa is too much, 32-14

at Northwestern: Pat Fitzgerald is to Kirk Ferentz as Kirk Ferentz is to Joe pa, Iowa is 2-4 against them since 2002, with no games being played in 03-04. Northwestern catches us looking ahead to OSU and wins in Evanston 21-17*

Ohio State: Huge game regardless of what happens, We have them at home and we have the team to beat them. Iowa 20-TOsu 10*.

at Minnesota: Iowa rounds out the season with a solid win at minny 40-17.

Games with * are still up in the air for me, Northwestern just makes me uneasy, they always seem to find a way to beat us. OSU is what it is, It has the potential to be the B10 championship game and the possible BCS NC semi final. Right now I see us at 11-1 and heading to another BCS bowl, We could be 12-0 this season and we could also go 8-4.

I am going to be the "downer" of the group I guess. I just have an uneasy feeling about this season. Maybe if they go down to AZ and look good I will start to relax, but right now I am just not sensing the historic season that everyone else is. I will welcome all the bashing if I am wrong.

E. Illinois W (37-16)
Iowa State W (27-17)
@Arizona L (17-31)
Ball State W (45-10)
Penn State W (24-20)
@Michigan L (14-24)
Wisconsin L (20-21)
Michigan St W (17-14)
@Indiana W (34-20)
@NW W (42-27)
Ohio State L (24-26)
@Minn W (35-17)

8-4 (5-3) Gator Bowl

I can agree with you on the win/loss, because I'm also worried it could be a somewhat disappointing year. But I don't agree on the points you say our defense will give up. That's 20pts/game. With the 35 given up by the offense last year being counted, they still held opponents to only 15.

I'll go on record that we do have a shot at the national title game if we can jump the early season hurdles which typically have haunted us. We won a lot of close games last year due to luck or flat out heart and a very tough D which will again help us this year. Seasons can easily take a change from national contenders to praying for a good bowl game. This is how I see it play out. Go Hawks!

Iowa 30 Eastern Ill- 10
Iowa 42 ISU-13
Iowa 21 Arizona- 17
Iowa 44 Ball St-6
Iowa 27 PSU-7
Iowa 17 Michigan 14
Wisconsin 20 Iowa 19
Iowa 24 MSU-13
Iowa 45 Indiana 24
Iowa 35 Northwestern 17
OSU 28 Iowa 21
Iowa 17 Minnesota 3

Bowl game- doesn't matter who- Iowa wins by 17 and finishes in the top 10 around #8

Joe Pa beats the hawks his last game at Kinnick. We are 1 of 4 teams to finish with 1 loss and dont make the NC game.

8-4

Glass half empty because......

* not as fortunate with as many of the close games as last year. In part, due to inconsistency in the FG game.....one week to go and Ferentz still comments on this.....not a good sign.

* Stanzi may be a better overall QB this year but I still believe he will be interception prone.

* Our tradition for underperforming in high expectation seasons. There's a big bull's eye on our jersey this year.....no sneaking up.

* Big 10 is stronger overall from top to bottom.

Losses......AZ, tOSU, MSU, NW

P.S. Hope I'm way off base

Undefeated is a possibility, but you can without a doubt say that a loss has a higer probability. This team does have better CHARACTER (than '05) and have rebuilt our program. we have 26 returning seniors, that nucleus has seen the highs and lows of our recent success as a program (some were being recruited and spotted as early as our last big ten title in '04 -for example Stanzi was a JR in HS in '04). Only two other programs have more SR's returning: Hawaii 31 & Louisville 27. They know what they have to do this year, and do not tell me they did not set out to win a B10 title & compete for a NT, for some, 6 long years ago.

This team has a better approach to the Hype. And in many ways we will still be "flying under the radar" to many outside of Iowa. Many pundits and media elites will feel kidney punched after our performance in AZ, and be forced to shower praises on players they should never have forgotten or failed to research. Names like DAVIS, REISNER, TARPINIAN, BERNSTINE, HAMPTON, & _______(fill in the blank). All of these aforementioned players will surprise many not already cheering the black & gold. We will win the Hearts and Minds of America again with, in their eyes, an improbable run in the Big Ten and birth in the NT game! I went all in on this team after the grits that were put on display at the MSU game last year, and if it wasnt for an injury bug, our wishes may have already been granted last year! Trust me, good things come to those that are patient! We now have to just take it week to week.

12-0 (saving my prediction for the NT game)

Last edited:
I want to play!

Iowa/EIU - W 42-7 Iowa gets it's ground game going after a slow start on a hot day!

Iowa/ISU - W 28-14 I think this one will be closer than we hope, but never in doubt.

Iowa/Zona - W 17-13 Offense struggles a bit but Iowa holds on.

Iowa/Ball St. - W 45-7 Jewell has a big day and solidifies his job the rest of the way.

Iowa/PSU - W 28-14 The owning continues, but a little breathing room this time.

BYE - nobody has been commenting on this week, but I predict Iowa remains unbeaten.

Iowa/UM - W 37-31 Another high scoring affair.

Iowa/Wisky - W 21-20 DJK kick return the winning score.

Iowa/MSU - W 27-24OT Huge day for Stanzi. MSU turns the ball over on their first OT possession and Murray kicks the game winner.

Iowa/IU - W 35-10 Iowa puts the Hoosiers away early and McNutt gets 3 scores.

Iowa/NW - W 24-20 This game scares me. Defense scores a TD late to seal it.

Iowa/OSU - L 14-13 The Big One. Miserable weather keeps both Os from producing much but OSU gets a late score after trailing most of the game.

Iowa/Minn. - W 41-14 Iowa sends Weber off in style. Hawk fans celebrate a shared Big Ten crown with OSU (7-1).

Bowl: Iowa 27 OU 21

"Kirk Ferentz has shown he doesn't make the same mistake twice when it comes to travel and preparation (see 2010 Orange Bowl v 2003 Orange Bowl)."

This is a big reason why I am less concerned with Arizona than most. I think we'll be the definition of prepared. Over-under on the number of times the players are forced to watch ASU 2004? I say 5

I think that Iowa will either be undefeated, or have one fluke loss.
I do have one bold prediction though. I think that Iowa is going to beat Ohio State by at least 2 touchdowns. And the game score will not reflect how much Iowa dominated them.
Iowa will be several notches better than anything Ohio State will have faced up to that point. The main reason I say this, is b/c Iowa is already a team ready to go, and will have improved soo much by then. Iowa will be a machine by this game.

If you are in Jon's position you literally HAVE TO pick them 12-0. I mean, there is no guarantee we will ever be this hyped again entering the season. This may be his only chance to predict an undefeated regular season and to not look like a total meat ball, you gotta take advantage of the situation.

I'm not saying there is anything disengenious with his picks, I'm just saying you cant let that opportnity go to waste.

Me? I always pedict we will go undefeated, thats what makes being a fan great.....

13 and 0. National Title Baby.

Wow ... so much depends on the health of the squad here.

If the squad can maintain good personnel continuity, here is my view:

vs EIU - 100% Iowa victory (52-3, Iowa W)
vs ISU - 88.5% Iowa victory (27-17, Iowa W ... closer game than I'd like because of the pre-season injuries)
vs UA - 65% Iowa victory (33-20, Iowa W)
vs Ball State - 99% Iowa victory (38-6, Iowa W)
vs PSU - 61.5% Iowa victory (24 - 13, Iowa W)
vs UM - 72.5% Iowa victory (34 - 20, Iowa W)
vs UW - 52.5% Iowa victory (20-17, Iowa W)
vs MSU - 50% Iowa victory (17-24, Iowa L)
vs IU - 82.5% Iowa victory (38-17, Iowa W)
vs NW - 75.5% Iowa victory (28-17, Iowa W)
vs tOSU - 45% Iowa victory (17-23, Iowa L)
vs Minn - 87.5% Iowa victory (42-10, Iowa W)

There you have my prediction, 10-2. And I anticipate that that will end up being enough for us finishing #2 in the Big 10.

IOWA 41, Eastern Illinois 10
IOWA 31, Iowa State 6 Still no TD scored!
IOWA 24, Arizona 13
IOWA 27, Ball State 0
IOWA 21, Penn State 10
Iowa 35, MICHIGAN 24
IOWA 24, Wisconsin 17
IOWA 17, Michigan State 13
Iowa 31, INDIANA 10
Iowa 27, NORTHWESTERN 17
Ohio State 27, IOWA 24
Iowa 35, MINNESOTA 12

Iowa shares B10 title with OSU @ 11-1, 7-1

8-4

Glass half empty because......

* not as fortunate with as many of the close games as last year. In part, due to inconsistency in the FG game.....one week to go and Ferentz still comments on this.....not a good sign.

* Stanzi may be a better overall QB this year but I still believe he will be interception prone.

* Our tradition for underperforming in high expectation seasons. There's a big bull's eye on our jersey this year.....no sneaking up.

* Big 10 is stronger overall from top to bottom.

Losses......AZ, tOSU, MSU, NW

P.S. Hope I'm way off base

I used to think this way, but really, one time does not make a tradition. Now I'm not old enough to remember much of the Fry era (I'm just 20 years old), but we lived up to the hype in '85. Ferentz has had ONE previous chance to succeed with high expectations, and failed. But, Ferentz is arguably the best in the business at learning from his mistakes, whether it be halftime adjustments, bowl preparations, or handling off-field issues. And I fully expect him to have learned from the mistakes in handling the hype in 2005 and 2006. There are no "fatcats" on this team, and THAT is what led to the failures. This group is on a mission, down to business, and getting it done.

I pretty much agree with Jon. I think that the Michigan game isn't as close but MSU will be closer. I think that we do lose one game though. We will play poorly/overlook somebody enough to lose somewhere. It will probably be to AZ, PSU, or MSU. I've been thinking 11-1 since half time of the Orange Bowl and that what I'm staying with. I think we have a better chance at 12-0 than 10-2.

On paper I think the Hawks are at least 11-1. That being said, I think the only 2 assured wins are EIU and Ball State, and after last year, those aren't even certainties.

I think injuries will play a huge role, as they do w/ almost every team. In particular, any issues along the OL or safety positions could be potentially disastrous.

In '08 Stanzi had fumble issues, but not much interception problems. In '09 he had interception issues, but very few fumble issues. What does he do in '10? As others have stated, turnovers will likely play a large role, in particular any turnovers returned for TDs.

The other thing that intrigues me is how teams will play. I could see UM losing it's first couple games (UConn and ND) and when IA shows up for Homecoming UM could be 3-3 and ready to pack the season in (having just been beat up by MSU), 6-0 riding high, or somewhere in between. How good will MSU be? Most people expect them to be very formidable, but how will they deal w/ expectations? Will this be the season PSU turns the tables on IA? And re the Hawks 1st road test, how good will AZ be? I could easily see the Hawks running the table, but wouldn't be surprised to see us at 7-5 either, in particular if the trend of playing at the competitor's level continues. To say this season will be interesting is a serious understatement.

Latest posts