ON THE RECORD: My Final FB Predictio & Yours

Oh come on Homer, you gotta have more faith than that! I mean, this is the Iowa Hawkeyes we're talking about. Just say it with me... "UNDEFEATED!"

Going undefeated is definitely possible. We'll see how the team comes together through the OOC play.

If Iowa can comfortably dispatch of PSU ... I'll happily revise my opinion.

MSU is better than folks think ... and they're not going to have all the distractions they had last year. Cousins is arguably the best passing QB in the Big 10, Iowa is breaking in a new LEO LB, and Prater is having "hammy issues." On top of all that ... MSU's combined group of WRs and TEs is second to NONE in the Big 10. On top of that, they have serious talent at RB too ... so expect them to feature a stronger running game too.

Lastly, they are a squad that is pretty darn loaded talent-wise ... and they're pretty well coached to boot.

I have the game predicted as a 50-50 PUSH ... and the outcome could frankly go either way.

I could see MSU squeaking out a close victory ... however, I could also see Iowa squeaking one out too.

I dont know what to think about MSU. They had question marks before that fiasco at the frat house. I have serious questions about the discipline of that team and their HC.

The deal with projections like this...it is looking at each game weeks before the season starts,with all our ducks in a row....how could we fare? So, for our clone friend, who suggests that we will all look foolish after that first loss...I do not think so,because no season is static,and so with a fluid injury situation, these projections could change next week.

But,as we stand today, Iowa is higher ranked than every team on our schedule,cept for OSU, so based on those numbers, anyone projecting less than 11-1 is being illogical. Then having that lone underdog game at home, it is not a huge leap to project a win in Kinnick over OSU.

What am I going to do...project a loss to ISU? No.

I dont know what to think about MSU. They had question marks before that fiasco at the frat house. I have serious questions about the discipline of that team and their HC.

I'm also struck by how physical our games were against MSU and tOSU. If anybody is going to beat us ... I think that a big part of it will be due to their ability to "out-physical" us. There aren't too many teams on our schedule that can do that ... however, there are a few ...

yeah, 2006 Wisky game sucked. We were down 14-17 with 7 min to go in the third quarter and had the ball 4th and inches at wisky 44 yard line. We punted. It was an absolutely gutless call. Wisconsin then drove 97 yards for the TD and the win. Game Over.

I also remember we had 3rd down and 10 near midfield with just under 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, with the score sitting at 24-21. Tate finds Chandler, wide open, going to pick up the first down easily. He turns to look upfield before actually catching the ball, and flat out drops it. I was sitting on the 45 yard line that day, and I know he would have kicked my a**, but I wanted to hop the wall and give him my best shot anyway, I was so pi*sed at him.

Homer, I'm with you. That Michigan State game seems like a potentially tight game.

To me, that game is far more pivotal than Michigan. Coming off the bye (extra time for Norm to prepare for the spread) and our one big conference road game, I don't have any doubt Iowa will look extra prepared and focused.

However, the very next week Wisconsin comes to town. That game is going to be physical. I worry about an emotional and physical letdown after Wisconsin. At that point, Iowa will have played 7 games with 5 to go. Seems like a natural time for a lapse in focus. It's a long season.

And Michigan State, while not consistent, has a ton of talent. They could also easily be 7-1 or 6-2 and rolling. Like every opponent we'll face, we'll get Michigan State's best shot. And I think being at home may actually work against us this time. I have a gut feeling we're more likely to come out flat for a home game this year than on the road. Looking at the schedule, I can't see another home game we'd be flat for.

Get through Michigan State with a win, and regroup for the home stretch, which includes "easier" games with Indiana/Northwestern/MN along with the Big One.

Eastern Illinois @ Iowa: W - Not close.
Iowa State @ Iowa: W - Not this year. Not close.
Iowa @ Arizona: W - Staff & team better prepared this time in AZ.
Ball State @ Iowa: W - Solid route.
Penn State @ Iowa: W - No big plays for PSU = not many points for them.
BYE - Perfect week off to prepare for always tough visit to Ann Arbor.
Iowa @ Michigan: W - Close road game. UM has good athletes, but...
Wisconsin @ Iowa: W - Badgers compete, but...
Michigan State @ Iowa: W - Good game, but OL clicking by now.
Iowa @ Indiana: W - Iowa wins handily.
Iowa @ Northwestern: W - Retribution time.
Ohio State @ Iowa: W - Over the last couple years Iowa has learned to compete & deliver with the "lights on". Kinnick Magic happens this night!
Iowa @ Minnesota: W - Tougher game than expected but Iowa pulls away late. Game will be closer than the score indicates.

Yeah, yeah, I look like a homer; but what everyone else out there thinks are our two biggest areas of concern are the two areas where Iowa has shown to be the most "plug and play" ready under this staff/system - LB & OL. I think we'll be fine at LB and the OL will be stout enough physically to get us through the first part of the season until they gel. Then look out.

I think Stanzi will read coverages much better this year and throw fewer ill-advised and better placed balls. I'm also hoping KOK will try a few more runs around the right end to give the cover corner on that side something else to look for besides staring at and baiting Stanzi.

Hampton has good breakaway ability and he'll see some success in the open field until the opposing D is forced to respect it; and then we'll see some big play action from Stanzi and the WRs/TEs (think 2002).

YEP... I said it. I think this is going to be a very special year for Iowa football. I think we for the first time in a long time will live up to the hype.

vs. EIU Iowa 35-3 W
vs. ISU Iowa 35-7 W
at. AZ Iowa 21-14 W
vs. BSU Iowa 28-10 W
vs. PSU Iowa 21-10 W
at. MI Iowa 28-21 W
vs. WI Iowa 14-10 W
vs. MSU Iowa 14-7 W
at. IN Iowa 34-12 W
at. NW Iowa 28-0 W
vs. tOSU tOSU 24-21 L (OT)
at. MN Iowa 21-10

11-1 With a loss to tOSU (we've only beaten them 5 times in like what, 50 years? This is a L on paper until we prove we can do it in a big game).

Scoring Offense: 22.91 PPG
Scoring Defense: 10.41 PPG

I again predict a low scoring Iowa team, focused on running the football and time of possession and field position. The team won't WOW anybody on offense in any game, but the defense should shine. The only loss will come to tOSU at home, with Murray MISSING a kick in windy conditions that could send it into double OT. That is the "bounce" that we would need to go our way to end up in the NCG that we probably won't get. Here's the real weird part about it, and what will really upset people: Wisconsin will beat OSU. Iowa will beat Wisconsin. Iowa will lose to OSU. Because Wisconsin's and OSU's losses come earlier in the season, Iowa will be jumped by both in the BCS standings after the tOSU loss and will NOT end up in a BCS bowl.:eek:

My worst-case scenario is a 10-2 season with both Wisc. and OSU beating Iowa...but I don't think that will happen.

Eastern Illinois @ Iowa: W (41-3)
Iowa starts out fast, putting up a TD on the first drive, then another off of a turnover just moments later. Paki puts up 90 yards. EIU scores late in the 4th to avoid the shut-out.

Iowa State @ Iowa: W (28-6)
This game is the very definition of ugly in the first half. ISU dominates time of posession in the half, going into halftime with the 6-0 lead (two field goals). Iowa offense wakes up in the second half and never looks back.

Iowa @ Arizona: W (31-17)
KF has heard enough of the "going to AZ talk" and has the team well prepared. Arizona never sees it coming, and finds itself down 21-0 in the first quarter. Wildcats score 10 of their 17 points in the 4th quarter to make this game look closer then it ever was.

Ball State @ Iowa: W (31-0)
The Hawks record their first shutout of the year, dominating from start to finish. Even Iowa fans are bored with this one by halftime.

Penn State @ Iowa: W (17-0)
The Penn State defense hangs tough, but there is only so much they can do. The Iowa offense dominates the time of possession, and simply wears them down.

BYE

Iowa @ Michigan: W (38-10)
Iowa smacks Michigan in the mouth from the get-go. Then jumps on them and beats them into unconsciousness. Then kicks them a few times. Forcier leads Michigan to their 10 points late in the second half, during scrub time. RichRod whines about KF "running up the score".

Wisconsin @ Iowa: W (30-21)
For the first time all year, an offense comes out and takes it to the Hawkeye defense early, running up 14 points in the first quarter. After settling down, the Hawks take control and dominate the rest of the game.

Michigan State @ Iowa: W (17-10)
We find that last year's close game was no fluke. This is a defensive slugfest and the Hawks secure a victory by stopping a late MSU drive.

Iowa @ Indiana: W (49-7)
This game is over before it really began. The first Hoosier possession ends up in Hawkeye points. The first Hawk possession ends up in Hawkeye points. From there on, we see a lot of ARob and Jewel running over Indiana players who just really, really want the game to end.

Iowa @ Northwestern: W (35-21)
Stanzi throws the patented Stanzi-ball, giving NW the 14-0 lead, and leaving Iowa fans saying "oh no, not again". Not again, indeed, as Iowa rips off the next 35 points and finally puts NW away.

Ohio State @ Iowa: W (24-16)
The Iowa offense is really only able to put up one good long drive, but one is enough, as the defense and special teams come up big. DJK scores on a return, and the Hawkeye defense holds OSU to FG 3 of the 4 times they visit our redzone. The defense causes an OSU turnover to give us the go-ahead touchdown early in the 4th quarter.

Iowa @ Minnesota: W (28-0)
Minnesota has a chance to score early in the first quarter, but miss the FG. They don't cross the 50 again.

Last edited:
I said 12-0, but I see everyone else is calling the scores, so ...

Iowa 31, EIU 13 ... EIU gets a quirky TD
Iowa 24, ISU 9 ... keep the no TD streak alive
Iowa 21, Arizona 20 ... Stanzi drives for the win
Iowa 17, BSU 10 ... sandwich game scares me
Iowa 16, PSU 6 ... defensive struggle
BYE
Iowa 23, Mich 16 ... closer than expected
Iowa 27, Wisc 24 ... game winning FG
Iowa 13, MSU 7 ... slobber-knocker
Iowa 38, Indy 23 ... offensive show
Iowa 20, NW 3 ... no nonsense
Iowa 34, OSU 17 ... WTF? new #1
Iowa 45, Minn 0 ... seriously, we're #1

Eastern Illinois - 56-7 - Down some key players and with the Hawks looking to erase the stain of last year's near debacle, it gets ugly early and often for the Panthers.

ISU - 31-10 - The 'Clones finally manage a touchdown, albeit a defensive one, as Stanzi throws a pick six mid-way through the 3rd quarter. However, it's not nearly enough as the defense crushes ISU's will and the Hawks go to 2-0. Ferentz, while not outwardly pleased with the pick-six, secretly likes the fact that Stanzi has something to focus on heading to Tucson.

Arizona - 28-10 - The 'Cats come out swinging and stop Iowa on their first possession and promptly march down the field, sounding the opening salvo. However, it's shades of PSU circa 2009, and the defense clamps down and the Hawks put it away early in the 4th quarter.

Ball State - 38-3 - Ferentz gets the starters out early to get ready for PSU the following week. It's a methodical, yet efficient effort.

PSU - 31-14 - With PSU testicles still socked away in a hidden bunker in Iowa City, the Hawks make quick work of an undermanned PSU team in JoPa's last game in Iowa City. The final score is not indicative of the mismatch as Ferentz takes it easy on Paterno and bunch down the stretch.

Michigan - 35-31 - It's an offensive shootout and one for the ages. The roles are reversed this year as it is Iowa that needs to drive the field in the final minutes. The difference is that Iowa has the Comeback Kid and he writes another chapter in his storybook Hawkeye career as the Hawks score a last minute touchdown to steal the win in Ann Arbor.

Wisky - 24-17 - Even with their own testicles residing next to PSU's in the secret bunker, Wisky put forth a valiant effort that comes up just short.

MSU - 21-13 - With the sting of last year's close loss still fresh in their minds, MSU comes out hitting with everything they have. It's close until the Hawks put it away in the 4th.

Indiana - 35-27 - In typical Iowa fashion under Ferentz, the Hawks once again play down to Indiana for most of the game. However, the defense once again steps up in crunch time and the Hawks breath a sigh of relief.

Northwestern - 45-17 - In an attempt to erase the stain of the last two years from their collective memories and pay the 'Cats back at their place, the Hawks come out swinging from the opening bell and leave no doubt. Setting the stage for next week for all the marbles.

OSU - 23-20 - It's the game that can potentially catapult the program to never-before-seen-heights. On the final drive, with the game tied 20-20, Ferentz refuses to make the same mistake as last year as he takes the reins off the offense on the final drive and Stanzi, in his final home game, takes them down to the 10 where Murray kicks the 27 yarder with no time left. In an ode to 1985, someone even throws a toiletpaper streamer as the ball goes through the posts.

Minny - 45-7 - With the Big 10 race essentially a foregone conclusion, the Hawks look to make one final, forceful statement for the national voters to consider. The Hawks do not disappoint. They take a 35-0 halftime lead and coast home.

This is as good as I have ever seen the Iowa Hawkeyes. Both in talent, depth and the good ol' fashioned intangibles. I even asked my dad since he has been going to games with season tickets since 1956 and he even said that he hasn’t seen a team that is quite this talented on multiple fronts. But then he said know matter what he knows, he cant go as far to predict them undefeated. With that said, I am going to enjoy this ride and vote for an undefeated season. I say we play Boise St. in the National title game. :D

IOWA 43, Eastern Illinois 7
IOWA 31, Iowa State 10
IOWA 36, Arizona 16
IOWA 27, Ball State 0
IOWA 17, Penn State 13
IOWA 24, Michigan 21
IOWA 27, Wisky 24
IOWA 34, Michigan State 23
IOWA 35, Indiana14
IOWA 30, NW 13
IOWA 27, OSU 20
IOWA 38, Minny 20

I think we are all starting to sound like the Saturday night live skit, "Da Bears".
Well I say Da Hawks are going to win it all.

You know what, I'm going to say 12-0 as well. I'm just too high on the defense. The offense won't show up every game, I understand that. But the defense will show up every game. It's what defense's do.

However, I'm stumped on why everyone has Iowa at 30+ pts in a lot of games this year. We certainly have a good offense, but that's a lot of points for Iowa's style of play. I also don't see Iowa winning 35-0 against Ball State. That's a pretty classic letdown spot, and I've seen it all too many times with Iowa. I say we win, but we aren't putting up 30-45pts like most have shown.

EIU 6 | Iowa 31
ISU 6 | Iowa 27
Iowa 20 | AZ 13
Ball St 3 | Iowa 17
PSU 9 | Iowa 24
Iowa 27 | Mich 13
Wisc 10 | Iowa 14
MSU 20 | Iowa 29
Iowa 31 | Indy 21
Iowa 20 | NW 16
OSU 17 | Iowa 24
Iowa 20 | Minn 10

Last edited:
I like the optimism going on in this thread but I can't just come out and say every game will be a win. I agree with most on here that Iowa will be favored in pretty much every game thus that makes them all winable however, I think Iowa will get snakebitten somewhere down the line. I'm going to hold true with my original stance that we go 10-2 again and sit nicely for a BCS bowl bid or depending on how the cards fall, a trip for the roses.

This is best overall team since the great 85 team, and I think this defense is better. The wide outs are much better and running game is solid look for both backs over 1,000 this season with Jewel in the range of 1500 big year, Stanzi finishes with a kick. Have not looked forward too a season as much since the 85 team should be fun and GO HAWKS!!!

These are predictions, by amateurs, wearing Black and Gold glasses.
I'm sure you predicted all of those 2-9, 3-8 or 1-10 seasons the Clowns put up.
You want to read something funny? Look up Cyclone football, a history of.
I always get a chuckle out of that.

First of all, I love the Clown reference. I think you're the first to ever use that one! clever!

Second, I didn't predict over 4-5 wins for any of those seasons. I'm pretty realistic when it comes to the clones. Sadly, I don't see ISU getting over 5-6 wins this year with their schedule.

First of all, I love the Clown reference. I think you're the first to ever use that one! clever!

Second, I didn't predict over 4-5 wins for any of those seasons. I'm pretty realistic when it comes to the clones. Sadly, I don't see ISU getting over 5-6 wins this year with their schedule.

If you predicted 4-5 wins every year, for the last 50 yrs, you would be too high approx HALF the time.:eek:
The Clown reference isnt something I came up with.
Its something the ISU football team and its fans have earned.
I cant take credit for it but you can.

Latest posts