Oliver Martin offered by Oregon

Is he contemplating playing football and baseball in college? If so, I would think he would have a better chance to pull that off at Iowa. A very tough and time demanding thing to do, playing two sports and meeting academic responsibilities. Some big time immediate family support would really help, and he would get that in Iowa City. Just being able to go home, go into familiar surroundings and just unwind would be a huge advantage for him.
I believe the Iowa baseball team had offered him awhile ago. But I've never heard if this is on the table or not. I agree totally that if he were to want to Iowa would make the most sense for it. Lets get Danan Hughes to help recruit him. I know it's been awhile since he did it but hey....

I'm not even sure how to address this. Seems like a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo rambling thoughts put together into a post. What's your point?

Well, since you missed the point, let's change the subject.

Question: How do you keep a moron in suspense?

EDIT: OK, the harshness (on my part) aside, my point is this: either he comes here or he doesn't. I doubt very much that we were "slow" in showing the love. I also have every confidence that staff has kept him apprised of our situation vis-a-vis other offers. If he doesn't come to Iowa, I certainly wouldn't blame the staff.

Recruiting seems to be so full of double talk. "Yeah, you really impressed us." "You are ready to explode nationally." "You are #1 on our board . . . except that we have already made offers for your position for that class."

I would love to be in a meeting where they actually talk honestly about their recruitment strategy.

Well, since you missed the point, let's change the subject.

Question: How do you keep a moron in suspense?

EDIT: OK, the harshness (on my part) aside, my point is this: either he comes here or he doesn't. I doubt very much that we were "slow" in showing the love. I also have every confidence that staff has kept him apprised of our situation vis-a-vis other offers. If he doesn't come to Iowa, I certainly wouldn't blame the staff.

The moron is the one who somehow managed to mention steroids in a post about a recruit. That's exactly what I meant by your rambling thoughts. It was weird.

Look, I wasn't being negative at all. I'm thrilled with this recruiting class with or without Martin. All I'm saying is I would be disappointed if Martin chooses another school and it somehow comes out that part of the reason was the fact Iowa didn't want him until everyone else did. I don't know the specifics anymore than you do, but from afar it looks that way, and if that's the case it's disappointing because of the fact he's an Iowa City kid. It doesn't get any closer than that.

Now you can disagree with me, and that's fine. That's what these boards are for, but rambling on about steroids and whatever else you said is just completely random.

We offered Martin on the evening of Tuesday, June 21. I found out and reported on the morning of Thursday, June 23. I believed he camped with is on June 5. It may have been the 12th but it was one of those two Sundays.

He camped at Wisconsin and Minnesota the weekend of June 17-19 and was offered by those schools. He was then offered by Indiana and MSU a few days after we offered him.

All the offers came within like 5 days of each other.

What I dont understand is this kid was right under Iowa's nose and didnt offer until everyone else did. Iowa had the advantage to see this kid more than anyone and make their evaluation. All of a sudden, others offer so hes now just good enough? Its just really odd how Iowa handled his recruitment.

What I dont understand is this kid was right under Iowa's nose and didnt offer until everyone else did. Iowa had the advantage to see this kid more than anyone and make their evaluation. All of a sudden, others offer so hes now just good enough? Its just really odd how Iowa handled his recruitment.

Yep. I feel the same way. Just a weird situation.

I believe the Iowa baseball team had offered him awhile ago. But I've never heard if this is on the table or not. I agree totally that if he were to want to Iowa would make the most sense for it. Lets get Danan Hughes to help recruit him. I know it's been awhile since he did it but hey....

I did not know he was offered by the baseball team. Yes, some insight from Hughes could be helpful. I'm up for that for sure.

Do you think some professional courtesy towards the baseball team could have played into the FB team not offering him right away? Or maybe they wanted to give the young man some time to consider his baseball options before putting more pressure on him. or they just got the impression he was going baseball all the way. I find it hard to believe the football staff didn't know about his football potential with him right in IC. IMO their had to be something more than him with all that talent being missed right under their noses.

Nice article about Martin in the DM Register today. Says his sister went to the Olympic swimming trials. Nice athletic gene pool. Does he have any younger brothers?

I did not know he was offered by the baseball team. Yes, some insight from Hughes could be helpful. I'm up for that for sure.

Do you think some professional courtesy towards the baseball team could have played into the FB team not offering him right away? Or maybe they wanted to give the young man some time to consider his baseball options before putting more pressure on him. or they just got the impression he was going baseball all the way. I find it hard to believe the football staff didn't know about his football potential with him right in IC. IMO their had to be something more than him with all that talent being missed right under their noses.
Honestly no I don't think the two programs really communicate within each other about recruits unless the recruit shows interest in doing both and they need to sort out the logistics of that. Some coaches (NC States when Russell Wilson was there did not) don't want to share players to other sports and some do. I think with Iowa under KF it's mostly been the track program he's shared players with. Other then Danan Hughes I can't remember another Football and baseball player off the top of my head. Wait didn't Beautier play basketball (ride the bench) for a year? So KF has let guys do it. That said I don't think the football programs out there think he's going baseball only. I think he wants to play football at D1 and whether or not he does baseball too is what's up in the air.

Nice article about Martin in the DM Register today. Says his sister went to the Olympic swimming trials. Nice athletic gene pool. Does he have any younger brothers?

had no idea that he and ruby martin where siblings. i follow swimming and yes, she is a 'stud' - only 16. if she stays healthy, continues to develop, could easily see her in the olympics in 4 years. if she stays healthy and continues to improve, will certainly see her go to a power swim school. impressive gene pool, no doubt about it!

had no idea that he and ruby martin where siblings. i follow swimming and yes, she is a 'stud' - only 16. if she stays healthy, continues to develop, could easily see her in the olympics in 4 years. if she stays healthy and continues to improve, will certainly see her go to a power swim school. impressive gene pool, no doubt about it!

Since he is also a good swimmer, he should have exceptional lung capacity and endurance.

The moron is the one who somehow managed to mention steroids in a post about a recruit. That's exactly what I meant by your rambling thoughts. It was weird.

Look, I wasn't being negative at all. I'm thrilled with this recruiting class with or without Martin. All I'm saying is I would be disappointed if Martin chooses another school and it somehow comes out that part of the reason was the fact Iowa didn't want him until everyone else did. I don't know the specifics anymore than you do, but from afar it looks that way, and if that's the case it's disappointing because of the fact he's an Iowa City kid. It doesn't get any closer than that.

Now you can disagree with me, and that's fine. That's what these boards are for, but rambling on about steroids and whatever else you said is just completely random.

The steroids part is because, in track, such "movement" would be met with skepticism. In this case, what explains the flurry of upward movement from damn near EVERY P5 conference and almost half B1G schools?

I just think the importance of WHEN an offer comes is so subjective. We've had guys "last" through recruiting season and say, "They stuck with me". We've had guys turn on signing day. WE have turned guys on or near signing day.

There's just no set formula, especially these days.

comes from an athletic family for sure, but I want to know if his Mom is hot.

Latest posts