Oliver Martin offered by Oregon

Only a delay in the reporting of it. When it finally came out, the offer was like 3 or 4 days previous.

That delay was the difference between offering before MSU, but I'm pretty sure Wisconsin and Minnesota did offer first. My question is how did they see him before Iowa did?

I'm almost positive he camped there, got an offer or two, then we offered, then he camped at msu who offered. There was a delay in reporting which made it look like msu offered before we did, but we offered before msu.

That delay was the difference between offering before MSU, but I'm pretty sure Wisconsin and Minnesota did offer first. My question is how did they see him before Iowa did?

Their camps were before ours. Are you saying our camp dates should be before Wisconsin and Minnesota?

So they could have at least offered a few days earlier and been first. Hopefully it says more about the quality of guys they're in on than anything else.

So they could have at least offered a few days earlier and been first. Hopefully it says more about the quality of guys they're in on than anything else.

No, IOWA offered at its camp, it wasn't reported tho until days later.

I never said it was most important. Please place a speedbump between your brain and your fingertips.

All I'm saying is they had a huge advantage on Oliver from the beginning because he's right there in Iowa City. Maybe no one saw this kind of explosion onto the recruiting scene coming from him, but they should have. They've been good at spotting under the radar talent in the past. They should have been able to spot it right in Iowa City. They should have been the leader in his recruitment and not one of many followers. Especially when the Hawks need WR's so badly. Heck even if they had offered him right after he was voted MVP of the camp in Chicago they would have been one of his first major offers, but they still waited. I'm sure they probably thought they were going to get Buckley at that time so I understand a little bit, but it still doesn't sit right with me since this is an Iowa kid right in their own backyard.

It is what it is. Bottom line though this recruiting class is spectacular. I don't want to be a complainer. With or without Oliver they've done a hell of a job and they deserve a ton of credit for that. Let's just hope he jumps on the bandwagon and makes the class even better.

Good Lord, we were on Pierschbacher when he was about 8 frigging years old. Back yard, etc. Can you not read, or do you just choose to acknowledge only those points that support your thoughts?

If the kid ran track and showed this sudden explosion onto the scene, most folks would (rightly) ponder the idea of PEDs. Not even close to suggesting that here, but the point is, he may have not figured onto any of the staffs' radar before. Maybe he and staff HAD been communicating. Maybe staff felt no offer should come forth if the kid planned on going to a bazillion camps, anyway, but feels "pressure" now.

How early was the staff on Arrington? Darboh? French? Maybe the kid is giving off a "vibe" that he wants out of Iowa. Either he chooses Iowa or he doesn't. If he chooses the school that was showing earliest interest, so be it. If THAT is what folks fear, why are they bemoaning Michigan, Oregon, et., al, offers?

We offered Martin on the evening of Tuesday, June 21. I found out and reported on the morning of Thursday, June 23. I believed he camped with is on June 5. It may have been the 12th but it was one of those two Sundays.

He camped at Wisconsin and Minnesota the weekend of June 17-19 and was offered by those schools. He was then offered by Indiana and MSU a few days after we offered him.

All the offers came within like 5 days of each other.

Good Lord, we were on Pierschbacher when he was about 8 frigging years old. Back yard, etc. Can you not read, or do you just choose to acknowledge only those points that support your thoughts?

If the kid ran track and showed this sudden explosion onto the scene, most folks would (rightly) ponder the idea of PEDs. Not even close to suggesting that here, but the point is, he may have not figured onto any of the staffs' radar before. Maybe he and staff HAD been communicating. Maybe staff felt no offer should come forth if the kid planned on going to a bazillion camps, anyway, but feels "pressure" now.

How early was the staff on Arrington? Darboh? French? Maybe the kid is giving off a "vibe" that he wants out of Iowa. Either he chooses Iowa or he doesn't. If he chooses the school that was showing earliest interest, so be it. If THAT is what folks fear, why are they bemoaning Michigan, Oregon, et., al, offers?

I'm not even sure how to address this. Seems like a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo rambling thoughts put together into a post. What's your point?

So he camped somewhere else first and got offers from Minnesota and Wisconsin from there?

Oliver Martin time line from what I know:

June: Camps at Wisconsin, gets an offer. Camps at Minnesota, gets an offer. Camps at Iowa, gets and offer. Camps at MSU gets an offer. Interesting enough he camped at ISU as well, but I think the Ketchup and Mustard are looking for only elite WR it seems.

July: Goes to The Opening Finals and kills it there as well.
He basically went from no interest from other P5 schools to a laundry list of offers in 3-4 months. That is a pretty good 3-4 weeks of work for him!

Last edited:
We offered Martin on the evening of Tuesday, June 21. I found out and reported on the morning of Thursday, June 23. I believed he camped with is on June 5. It may have been the 12th but it was one of those two Sundays.

He camped at Wisconsin and Minnesota the weekend of June 17-19 and offered by those schools. He was then offered by Indiana and MSU a few days after we offered him.

All the offers came within like 5 days of each other.

This is how I remembered it. Which is no surprise since I'm always right. DP was saying Iowa messed up not offering right away after camp. I agreed with that. If he skips on Iowa because of a week, he probably wasn't coming here anyway tho.

I know it sounds crazy, but do you think that Ferentz wants Oliver Martin to go to Oregon instead of playing against the Hawks in the B1G. Its like if he went to Wisconsin or Michigan he would make those teams that much better and he might make some big plays that could beat the Hawks. But if he goes to Oregon we won't play him that often.

Or MAYBE Ferentz has so many good players in this class that he is using The Ducks as our feeder program, like our own little Community College to stuff the players we can't fit or who don't have the grades yet. If Martin becomes a playmaker then he can transfer back to Iowa City without spending a scholarship on him right now.

Not sweating it either way. A guy blows up in camps that are pretend real football and we want him even more now because others want him?

Not sweating it either way. A guy blows up in camps that are pretend real football and we want him even more now because others want him?

Havent seen Oliver play much huh. Hes tough as nails. He has been playing varsity at West since his freshman year. He looked like a toothpick out there and still kept going across the middle, catching balls, never backed down. Hes gotten bigger, faster, stronger each year and now is an elite WR. He's worked hard for this and Im glad to see it paying off for him..

Last edited:
Havent seen Oliver play much huh. Hes tough as nails. He has been playing varsity at West since his freshman year. He looked like a toothpick out there and still kept going across the middle, catching balls, never backed down. Hes gotten bigger, faster, stronger each year and now is an elite WR. He's worked hard for this and Im glad to see it paying off for him..

I would also add that he seems like a hard-worker in practice and teachable. He certainly has learned how to run routes well and handle the agility drills extremely well. That doesn't happen by accident or mere athleticism. It takes discipline, practice, and coaching.

Ready for this season to start. This stuff is exhausting.

Another good/great year will do as much, if not more, than anything else to keep great recruits interested.

Martin looks solid and would live to get him, but it's just too far away to feel too strongly.

Is he contemplating playing football and baseball in college? If so, I would think he would have a better chance to pull that off at Iowa. A very tough and time demanding thing to do, playing two sports and meeting academic responsibilities. Some big time immediate family support would really help, and he would get that in Iowa City. Just being able to go home, go into familiar surroundings and just unwind would be a huge advantage for him.

Latest posts