Olaseni commits to Iowa

It is also nice to see us get a guy that was offered sometime in the Fall of 2010. Olaseni is no fallback recruit, he was targeted by the staff.

Raw or not... we need more help at the 4 and 5 right now than the PG that everyone keeps complaining about.

Could either push archie to really show a flash next year or just take his minutes. But its good to finally have some depth.

If a quality PG pops up great, but I'm happy with using Hubbard, Marble,... walk-on pg to spell cartwright, rather then waste a schollie someone who is a D rated PG.

I don't think they'll be a problem in getting a HS PG, and Juco PG for mext class, and thats going to have to be good enough for fighting for starting PG in 2012-13.

Re: Olesani commits to Iowa

It does seem like that but we are not in a position to get hurt feelings. He makes us better right now and that is a step in the right direction.

It's not so much an issue of hurt feeling as it is about whether or not he is truly committed to the program. Guys whose hearts aren't in it don't usually perform all that well.

That said, perhaps we've all psyched ourselves into thinking he was desperately hoping someone else would come along. Like someone else said, we've gotten so used to LOSING recruits that we start looking for all the reasons why they would want to LEAVE, rather than see the reasons why they want to come.

Do you think JO will get some minutes at point? Fran made it sound like that was the case in his interview yesterday.

What's to be leery of?

A better offer must not have came for him.

A little learly of him as he sounds as if we were is backup plan and sounds pretty raw.

He's a legitimate 6-9 or 6-10, a good athlete and just growing as a player as he's been playing basketball for just 4-5 years. We aren't in a position where we go get the 5-star Jared Sullingers of the world. Few schools are, that's why they are in such high demand.

With his athleticism, Olaseni has the possibility of contributing on defense right away, without the pressure of being counted on for points right away. Had offers from other BCS schools. Just because he didn't commit to us the minute we offered didn't mean he doesn't like Iowa or didn't want to come here.

Gabe - Welcome on the Hawkeye express. I am looking forward to Carver next year!

Mr. Calkins - I believe that was roughly the amount of time to reach the end of the your bowling shoes.

It's not so much an issue of hurt feeling as it is about whether or not he is truly committed to the program. Guys whose hearts aren't in it don't usually perform all that well.

That said, perhaps we've all psyched ourselves into thinking he was desperately hoping someone else would come along. Like someone else said, we've gotten so used to LOSING recruits that we start looking for all the reasons why they would want to LEAVE, rather than see the reasons why they want to come.

It was hurt feelings with some people on here. Im sure Fran and staff made sure Gabe was totally onboard before accepting his commitment.

I think he would have went to Oklahoma if they had offered, but I am thrilled to have him as a Hawk.

Beggars cant be choosers and as much as people dont like it, we are beggars right now.

It seems like forever ago since Iowa had this much depth on the roster. At least since 2005-2006

Last edited:

The thing is there is noway we know whether his interest in our program was lacking due to our actual team or if even academics played a role.

I have faith that Fran would have cut him lose if he had any question in Olesani wanting to committe to our actual basketball team, but there our other factors that matter to a recruit as well.

I am considering the great potential in Fran's recruits. Hubbard improved dramatically between year 1 and 2 after not playing organized ball for years. Olaseni is improving after a late start at age 14. Cartwright developed before our eyes. Basabe improved over the course of the season. If McCaffery's strength is developing players, than his recruiting is genius.

I don't think he was waiting for a "better" offer. Kid was from England and probably didn't know a whole lot about schools in America. His coach said several times he just wanted to make sure he was making the right decision and was interested in taking another visit or two. Don't think we were his fallback, in fact his coach said he loved Iowa because we offered the very first time we saw him, were his first high-major offer and relentlessly recruited him from day one. He chose to come here and will be a very good player for us. Fran is killing it. Hopefully Woodbury and Gesell jump on the bandwagon soon and join Meyer in '12 class. Then identify two other good players like Niang and Bell and hope for the best. Love the direction this program is heading under Fran.

Time to start thinking positively! Get over it.

It seems like forever ago since Iowa had this much depth on the roster.

I know it. I remember back in the Alford days when it always seemed like we were playing with like 7 scholarship players. We always had to rely on guys like Josh Kimm or Justin Wieck to play some minutes here and there. I appreciate what they do for the program and all that, but we need scholarship guys to get ALL of our minutes.

It seems like forever ago since Iowa had this much depth on the roster.

or height. Oh, hell, athletisism to!

Iowa has turned the corner folks. It just has that feeling of back in the day & I haven't had that feeling for many many years. It is going to be enjoyable to watch next year. Last year was as well, but it is going to be fun.

Please someone just tell me that Olaseni is at least farther ahead than Archie on the offensive side of the ball.. Don't need another nightmare free throw shooter..

Latest posts