Oh Jesus, really?????????????????? (see duplicate thread soon to be posted)

No, when the gun is drawn, the chances of an accidental shooting go up. Without even thinking much about it I can think of 2 high profile cases where a black male was shot accidentally by police.
So when exactly is it OK for the police to draw their guns? Is it always a clear cut answer?

How many robbers are going to be walking around looking at their phone with earbuds on minutes after the robbery without changing clothes first.
A lot more than you think, based on my conversations with my brother, who has served as a warden.

I wonder if this will affect recruiting? I mean I don't know if a lot of players wan't to go to a place where their safety is a concern and things are pretty heated with the Police across the country. Terrible move by the Iowa City Police Department.

13754363_10210363565595704_6553623927807337523_n.jpg

I just can't help but notice, nobody here has seen the obvious. We need to switch Faith over to RB, since obviously 5 people were afraid to tackle him on a grassy field.

Good one. Honestly though Faith needs to be a starter next to JJ, with Bazata spelling each of them for 10 or 15 plays per game (1 or 2 series if you want to measure it that way). Doing that allows the DL to stay fresh. Kirk tends to lean on Defense to win games so keeping the line fresh is paramount.

You do not do it with guns drawn. If it had been your kid I can guarantee you would feel differently. Since the subject was preoccupied, they should have approached the subject from different angles out of the line of fire. This is serious business. Someone getting killed or wounded that is innocent isn't justified to catch the criminal who at this point had never discharged. Does anyone know if the real robber ever presented an actual weapon? Even if so, would if it had been a male who was dressed in the same out fit but of the race of your child, how would you feel? An officer (4 in this case) presenting a weapon that could be accidentally discharged likely was not yet warranted. Presenting a weapon in a threat of force is a serious action. Maybe you've missed the "accidental" police shootings. The officers should be suspended while an external investigation is done. Were the guns unholstered or actually aimed? We do not live in a police state. They are to protect and serve. Not scare and intimidate. There are a number of things that could have been done differently. Were their other people in the vicinity?

Pulling a gun should be the last response, not the first.
Easier said then done depending on the shoes your wearing. If I was a policeman in that same situation you just have to protect yourself and others when approaching someone that is non compliant. I thought Faith articulated what happened really well from all angles. And he obviously isn't nearly as bent out of shape about it and he was who it happened to. He gets it. Once he realized what was going on and began communicating and complying things went smooth. But you can't tell me that if your a cop and your approaching a possible armed bank robbing suspect and that when they do not begin to comply with your verbal demands right away that you wouldn't draw your weapon... Most officers don't accidentally discharge their weapons. They are pretty well trained at how to not do that. The amount of times officers draw their weapon and never fire it is enormous. It's just that the very very few times that it does happen accidently or not the media makes it the biggest deal ever. If I were a cop now a days I don't think I'd know how the heck to do my job. All these arm chair liberal police chiefs sure are trying to make their jobs even tougher than it is.

You do not do it with guns drawn. If it had been your kid I can guarantee you would feel differently. Since the subject was preoccupied, they should have approached the subject from different angles out of the line of fire. This is serious business. Someone getting killed or wounded that is innocent isn't justified to catch the criminal who at this point had never discharged. Does anyone know if the real robber ever presented an actual weapon? Even if so, would if it had been a male who was dressed in the same out fit but of the race of your child, how would you feel? An officer (4 in this case) presenting a weapon that could be accidentally discharged likely was not yet warranted. Presenting a weapon in a threat of force is a serious action. Maybe you've missed the "accidental" police shootings. The officers should be suspended while an external investigation is done. Were the guns unholstered or actually aimed? We do not live in a police state. They are to protect and serve. Not scare and intimidate. There are a number of things that could have been done differently. Were their other people in the vicinity?

And if it were your son or daughter that was the PO and he went strolling up to a bank robbery suspect like he was checking out a litter bug complaint and the guy pulled a gun and shot him or her. How would you feel about self preservation police tactics then? I got news for some of you people. When the police show up at something as serious as this. They come to win. And when people turn a simple police confrontation like a traffic stop into a serious confrontation. Just remember the police are trained to use over whelming force if needed to get it under control. Like I said they are trained to win not lose in all situations. You are probably one of those people who think when a person tries to use physical force to over power a PO. The rest of the officers at the scene are supposed to stand and watch a fellow officer fight it out on his own. Ain't gonna happen. A person who feels the need to fight a police officer is going to get over powered by any means necessary.

Well, actually my family has a number of officers. This is serious business. So a gun discharges and hits someone and since it doesn't happen often the media makes too big of a deal? Wow. How they approached it I can assure you is not normal protocol. They are to protect and serve the public, not themselves at the public risk. It is a tough job and there are protocols that likely weren't followed. Iowa City isn't the wild west and the police aren't the cavalry
Go back and reread his statement. He is for sure not happy bout it. He went through a lot of trauma and it takes time to process.. It should never be to get the criminal at all cost to the public.

This: I am not one to usually rant on Facebook or anywhere else, but with all of the crazy things that have been happening in our world these past couple of weeks it is hard to stay silent. I am thankful to be alive, and I do now realize, that it very well could have been me, a friend of mine, my brother, your cousin, your nephew etc. Misunderstandings happen all the time and just like that things can go south very quickly. It is extremely sad that our society has brainwashed us all to the point where we can’t feel safe being approached by the police officers in our respective communities. Not all police officers are out to get you, but at the same time, not all people who fit a criminal profile are criminals.

Is not the statement of someone who thought it was all cool. The officers screwed up big time. Suspension with pay under investigation. If they did act within protocol the protocol needs to be changed.

And if it were your son or daughter that was the PO and he went strolling up to a bank robbery suspect like he was checking out a litter bug complaint and the guy pulled a gun and shot him or her. How would you feel about self preservation police tactics then? I got news for some of you people. When the police show up at something as serious as this. They come to win. And when people turn a simple police confrontation like a traffic stop into a serious confrontation. Just remember the police are trained to use over whelming force if needed to get it under control. Like I said they are trained to win not lose in all situations. You are probably one of those people who think when a person tries to use physical force to over power a PO. The rest of the officers at the scene are supposed to stand and watch a fellow officer fight it out on his own. Ain't gonna happen. A person who feels the need to fight a police officer is going to get over powered by any means necessary.
According to this study, you are correct. Police come to win.

(A Department of Justice study revealed that a whopping 84 percent of police officers report that they’ve seen colleagues use excessive force on civilians, and 61 percent admit they don’t always report “even serious criminal violations that involve abuse of authority by fellow officers.”)

http://www.theamericanconservative....police-brutality-is-systematic-not-anecdotal/

Does this look like a 290 lb defensive lineman?

13781928_551783375028782_8427120014355380881_n.jpg
No but did the POs have that photo? Or was it a general description of the robber? Quit trying to turn this into some sort of police brutality event. It went down just like it should have. They checked out a suspect in a robbery. They found out he wasn't the guy. They went on with their duty. Are you one of those guys that got a ticket for
some traffic violation and now all police officers are Gestapo. You sound like one of those BLM drama queens.

Well, actually my family has a number of officers. This is serious business. So a gun discharges and hits someone and since it doesn't happen often the media makes too big of a deal? Wow. How they approached it I can assure you is not normal protocol. They are to protect and serve the public, not themselves at the public risk. It is a tough job and there are protocols that likely weren't followed. Iowa City isn't the wild west and the police aren't the cavalry
Go back and reread his statement. He is for sure not happy bout it. He went through a lot of trauma and it takes time to process.. It should never be to get the criminal at all cost to the public.

This: I am not one to usually rant on Facebook or anywhere else, but with all of the crazy things that have been happening in our world these past couple of weeks it is hard to stay silent. I am thankful to be alive, and I do now realize, that it very well could have been me, a friend of mine, my brother, your cousin, your nephew etc. Misunderstandings happen all the time and just like that things can go south very quickly. It is extremely sad that our society has brainwashed us all to the point where we can’t feel safe being approached by the police officers in our respective communities. Not all police officers are out to get you, but at the same time, not all people who fit a criminal profile are criminals.

Is not the statement of someone who thought it was all cool. The officers screwed up big time. Suspension with pay under investigation. If they did act within protocol the protocol needs to be changed.

I think the bigger problem is that there is no longer a "normal protocol". The public is concerned about the potential threats of those "rogue" officers who misrepresent the badge. At the same time the police are concerned about recent attacks on officers around the country. Both parties involved are at a heightened sense of awareness at the onset of the situation and such edginess does nothing to deescalate the situation.

I'm glad the police remained calm despite drawing their weapons and I'm glad Faith did so as well.

I think to fully understand everybody should volunteer to be a policeman for a week and then give us all you're opinions. The world has turned ugly and I'm sure it's not much fun being a officer. Someone has to do the job and it's a very difficult job to do. Faith did exactly what he should of done and I'm so glad he did.

The police need to be 99.9999% correct when pulling their guns as the consequences are not an extra charge on a credit card. Only one bad shooting per what ever times

No but did the POs have that photo? Or was it a general description of the robber? Quit trying to turn this into some sort of police brutality event. It went down just like it should have. They checked out a suspect in a robbery. They found out he wasn't the guy. They went on with their duty. Are you one of those guys that got a ticket for
some traffic violation and now all police officers are Gestapo. You sound like one of those BLM drama queens.

It did not go down as it should have. That isn't the point. If one had accidentally pulled the trigger, I am sure numerous shots would follow. Stop making excuses and insults. Suppose the suspect (innocent) had PTSD? Quit trying to turn this into ...we need to be so safe...officers are always right. They weren't on several fronts.

I think to fully understand everybody should volunteer to be a policeman for a week and then give us all you're opinions. The world has turned ugly and I'm sure it's not much fun being a officer. Someone has to do the job and it's a very difficult job to do. Faith did exactly what he should of done and I'm so glad he did.
I've ridden with a lot with an officer. If you can't cut being an officer to protect and serve then get out. The responsibility is not and should not be on someone to react correctly when confronted with an gun due to the element of surprise. You do not know how you would react as the victim in this case. You really don't. Proper police response should have been officers from several angles. They should not be playing "chase the bad guy". You should be lobbying local police and authorities for a proper response so it doesn't happen again, lest it be you.

So if Faith had turned and moved the phone forward in a reaction it would be OK to shoot? Wow. You live in a pretty idealistic world. The police screwed up.

Can't imagine why the police would be on edge these days.

And if they were all spread out and coming in a different angles as you say and he did pull a gun and start shooting, then what? Do you have any idea why they stay in a group?