Oh Jesus, really?????????????????? (see duplicate thread soon to be posted)

He thanked the officers? For not killing him? A black subject wearing black. Hmmm, over half the football team might fit that description on a given day? School colors are??? Keep the police from getting hurt at about all costs right?

He thanked the officers? For not killing him? A black subject wearing black. Hmmm, over half the football team might fit that description on a given day? School colors are??? Keep the police from getting hurt at about all costs right?
I would say for not rushing to judgment when he was pulling "something" (his phone) out of his pocket. This could have ended very badly had the officers believed shoot 1st ask questions later, like it seems to be in plenty of other locations throughout the country.

How many bank robbers hang out in the same vicinity of the bank they just robbed wearing the same clothes they wore during the robbery? How many of those people gain over a 100lbs in a matter of minutes?

The suspect was described as weighing 150. FE weighs 280......"They all look a like to me" argument doesn't work here.
True but the approximate height and weight weren't given until 15 minutes after the robbery, this happened when all they had been given was "black male, black clothes". Hell if they had either the height of weight they probably don't look at him twice.

The suspect was described as weighing 150. FE weighs 280......"They all look a like to me" argument doesn't work here.

Perhaps you can post to the article that states the subject was described at weighing 150 lbs. There appears to be confusion on that. 150 lbs isn't in the article posted by the OP and it isn't in this one. In fact, the article by the Des Moines Register states the suspect was described as a large black man, wearing all black with something on his head. Faith apparently was wearing all black and was wearing headphones. Wearing his headphones is perhaps why he didn't hear the police identify themselves. Faith was spotted within 2 minutes of the robbery call and 1 block away from the robbery.

Faith did what every human being should do; he cooperated.

http://dmreg.co/2a8JqeO

From the linked article: "Ekakitie, a senior, played in 12 games last season, recording 13 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss, and one fumble recovery."

And what a fumble recovery it was! The most important of the season from my prospective. 5-0 baby!

Knowing what to do in any situation is a great trait. Keep up the good work Faith!

I'm just glad things didn't suddenly go bad, for everyone's sake. You have a high intensity situation, a nearby bank robbery and hunt for a suspect. This happens in a low intensity environment. You have a student hanging out in a park, in a safe neighborhood, close to a major university campus. Had either side panicked or shown indecisiveness this could have easily become a major tragedy.

Without knowing exact details it is difficult to be too judgemental. Police drawing their guns when getting no cooperation is a judgement call. What are the chances of running into a student hanging around in the park with earbuds on, who's oblivious to his surroundings. Pretty high actually, considering the nearby university campus and large amount of parkland in Iowa City.

In normal circumstances, police around major college campuses generally give the students quite a bit of slack. With good reason. The police are aware that students are not always either aware or completely complaint.

Sounds like the police did their job like they do 99% of the time.

No, when the gun is drawn, the chances of an accidental shooting go up. Without even thinking much about it I can think of 2 high profile cases where a black male was shot accidentally by police. One was recently in Florida and the other in Oklahoma. The officers responded the same when asked the question, "why did you shoot?".. The answer, "I don't know".

In addition, the emotional scarring that young man will suffer will last a lifetime.

The militarization tactics of police has got to stop. How many robbers are going to be walking around looking at their phone with earbuds on minutes after the robbery without changing clothes first. The answer is only the mentally challenged. Being mentally challenged should not warrant a death sentence. This isn't WW2 era Germany.

Good God, people! There are enough real problems out there without looking for them where they don't exist. Faith fit the description of a person that had just robbed a bank in the area for God's sake! Even if the police had the 150 lbs description, which they probably didn't, shouldn't they check anybody out in the area that even remotely fits the description. Should they have asked him to step on the scales? Faith also did the right thing by complying with their orders and the outcome was how it should have been. That's how it works!

Ear buds in with music blaring and reaching in his pocket for his cell phone. Boy, this thing could have turned south quick. You can't fault Faith as he didn't realize they were behind him and you can't fault the police for doing as they are trained. I'm just glad none of them took a shot and they were patient. I can see how easily these things can go bad just from hearing how this went down. Faith did the correct thing by conforming.

When it goes bad is when people think they can challenge the police. People need to stop challenging the police.

Good God, people! There are enough real problems out there without looking for them where they don't exist. Faith fit the description of a person that had just robbed a bank in the area for God's sake! Even if the police had the 150 lbs description, which they probably didn't, shouldn't they check anybody out in the area that even remotely fits the description. Should they have asked him to step on the scales? Faith also did the right thing by complying with their orders and the outcome was how it should have been. That's how it works!

You do not do it with guns drawn. If it had been your kid I can guarantee you would feel differently. Since the subject was preoccupied, they should have approached the subject from different angles out of the line of fire. This is serious business. Someone getting killed or wounded that is innocent isn't justified to catch the criminal who at this point had never discharged. Does anyone know if the real robber ever presented an actual weapon? Even if so, would if it had been a male who was dressed in the same out fit but of the race of your child, how would you feel? An officer (4 in this case) presenting a weapon that could be accidentally discharged likely was not yet warranted. Presenting a weapon in a threat of force is a serious action. Maybe you've missed the "accidental" police shootings. The officers should be suspended while an external investigation is done. Were the guns unholstered or actually aimed? We do not live in a police state. They are to protect and serve. Not scare and intimidate. There are a number of things that could have been done differently. Were their other people in the vicinity?

Pulling a gun should be the last response, not the first.

Latest posts