Oglesby Announcement on Wednesday

Name-calling like you resort to indicates moronic tendencies,no doubt.
My point was clear...Big Ten malcontents are not available to Fran like they are to Freddy(no intra-conference transfers allowed),and other conferences malcontents might not qualify at Iowa,unlike Big Ten washouts who will qualify at ISU.... So Freddy tapped into a source of players that really was not available to Fran. So Freddy has a leg up on Fran outta the box.

As for the leash at both schools, I just think that Freddy has a shorter one due to the fact that he HAS NEVER COACHED IN HIS LIFE,unlike Fran who has been coaching in college for 20+ years....so if Freddy struggles, the legit question will arise....can he coach? With Fran that has been established.

Fred at ISU has a longer leash than Fran at Iowa. To think otherwise is lunacy. Fran has no connection to Iowa other than he was hired a few months ago. Fred has been a Cyclone for decades.

I think they'll both do well and it will be moot.

I agree.. It seems like stars matter more on the 4-5 star types of players, but after that, there is a large pool of 3-star prospects out there, and clearly some will be better than others, and it's more about talent evaluation. With the not-as-highly-rated players, I start to look more at a list of offers a recruit has.

I'd bet even money that if they were doing the star-rating thing when Davis was our coach (or were they?) that most of his recruits would probably have been tagged as 2-3 star players yet turned out to be pretty good Big Ten players.

In Ogleby's case, he has some nice offers - Illinois, ASU, Minnesota amongst others. That tells me that some good programs think he is worthy of a scholarship offer and that's really about all I need to know. I think Oglesby would be a good get for us, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If his only offers were UW Milwaukee and Prairie View A&M, I would hold a different opinion.

Exactly right. I think Illinois pulled their offer (which is why they didn't make the cut) recently after receiving a different commitment from likely a Plan A recruit, where as Oglesby was their Plan B or C. But regardless, offers from Arizona State and Minnesota mean that he's a guy that those programs feel would be an asset to their team and those schools have been fringe top 25 teams for a few years now it seems, so obviously Oglesby is talented.

Same could be said for Iowa State's pick up of Tavon Sledge. West Virginia's offer alone speaks for itself, Huggins is a great recruiter and West Virginia was a final 4 team a year ago and has had some studs at guard in the last few years. Throw in Seton Hall, Rutgers, Cincinnati, and some of those Big East schools, and you know this kid can ball.

So you think that if Fran fails Barta won't be let go?

If he keeps up his current pace, no way. His fundraising is excellent. There is little reason to think that there was a better bang-for-the-buck coaching option for us at this time.

do you remember how long it took us to hire an AD? no one that was qualified wanted that job either.

he may get fired or move on sometime in the future, but it wont be because he hired mccaffery. i would be interested in seeing a quote where Barta said this.

According to ESPN he is now a 3* rated at a 91 out of 100. (Before his profile was updated as comitting to ISU, he was a 4*)

You can tell what ESPN thinks of your team when this happens. The same thing occurred with Melvin Ejim last year. He was a 4 star 94, with a load of offers, then committed to ISU and became an 87.

If he keeps up his current pace, no way. His fundraising is excellent. There is little reason to think that there was a better bang-for-the-buck coaching option for us at this time.

do you remember how long it took us to hire an AD? no one that was qualified wanted that job either.

he may get fired or move on sometime in the future, but it wont be because he hired mccaffery. i would be interested in seeing a quote where Barta said this.

No one wanted the Iowa AD job? Seriously?

With the Big Ten network in full swing and your money program(football) in high gear, this seems like a dream job now. You have revenue, are the biggest university in the state, and are successful in the one sport that carries all the rest financially. I would think that AD job would be highly sought after.

Fred at ISU has a longer leash than Fran at Iowa. To think otherwise is lunacy. Fran has no connection to Iowa other than he was hired a few months ago. Fred has been a Cyclone for decades.

I think they'll both do well and it will be moot.

I also hope they both do well and the revolving door stops for both programs.

Still, isn't there even an ounce of possiblity that if ISU has 3-4 straight losing seasons,that fans will start to wonder if hiring a complete novice at coaching(which is very rare),was the right hire?

Brewster at Minny fb is hearing that from his fan base. So is Maturi the Minny AD....''why the heck did you hire a guy who had never been a head coach?''....Has Hoiberg ever even been an assistant coach? Brewster was was an assistant in the NFL and college level. Was Hoiberg an assistant for the Wolves?

If Iowa had hired Bowen as head coach, I do not think he would have as long of a leash as Fran. Now, again, Freddy might be an immediate hit,and it is all moot.

Name-calling like you resort to indicates moronic tendencies,no doubt.
My point was clear...Big Ten malcontents are not available to Fran like they are to Freddy(no intra-conference transfers allowed),and other conferences malcontents might not qualify at Iowa,unlike Big Ten washouts who will qualify at ISU.... So Freddy tapped into a source of players that really was not available to Fran. So Freddy has a leg up on Fran outta the box.

As for the leash at both schools, I just think that Freddy has a shorter one due to the fact that he HAS NEVER COACHED IN HIS LIFE,unlike Fran who has been coaching in college for 20+ years....so if Freddy struggles, the legit question will arise....can he coach? With Fran that has been established.[/QUOTE

I get it about the big 10 rule so a guy like Babb could not come to Iowa because he would have to sit out 2 years.

But lets go back to this comment.

"He is at ISU, where Big Ten malcontents can transfer and qualify. Iowa and Fran can not get transfers from the non-academic other conferences like Big 12 or Big East....big edge for Hoiberg."

If Iowa cannot get transfers from schools from the Big 12 or Big East how is it that Adam Haluska was allowed to transfer from ISU to Iowa? Have the academic requirements changed a lot since that happened? Serious question it may have changed.

Regarding the leash thing,

Fred could be under more heat because, as you, say he never coached before. But he has a lot of goodwill built up with the fan base, and Hilton will most likely be sold out for most the games this season. Even when the teams were bad the support has been there.

Maybe Fran will receive more patience because of his past success, and he should. But if things don't go well people will be pointing out that historically guys who move up from smaller programs meet with failure more than success. Heck people are already getting nervous about him not being able to get a 2011 commit. Which should change on Wednesday. Fran will be fine, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited:
Iowa's to lose at this point. Illinois and Minnesota already have their SG for next year(Tracy Abrams and Joe Coleman respectively), so I think this was a two horse race between ASU and UoI. Unless Sendek blew him away, or he suddenly became best buds with future ASU star Jahii Carson, I am thinking he is making a short move south

Iowa's to lose at this point. Illinois and Minnesota already have their SG for next year(Tracy Abrams and Joe Coleman respectively), so I think this was a two horse race between ASU and UoI. Unless Sendek blew him away, or he suddenly became best buds with future ASU star Jahii Carson, I am thinking he is making a short move south

Abrams is a pg. The illini are focused on Chasson Randle as their 2-guard in this class.

Latest posts