Oglesby Announcement on Wednesday

I am getting a good feeling with Josh Oglesby....hope I am right.
As for Hoiberg and ISU...he is starting from a different spot than Fran. He came in and basically took over the helm with the rest of the program still in place. He did not recruit Cook, he inherited him. He is at ISU, where Big Ten malcontents can transfer and qualify. Iowa and Fran can not get transfers from the non-academic other conferences like Big 12 or Big East....big edge for Hoiberg. But Fran is starting from the ground up, vs what Hoiberg is doing just taking over the top spot with their recruiting program in place already. So Hoiberg is gambling for the quick hit,with guys like White,Babb,and Allen. Fran is starting from scratch and working for 2011,12,13 classes. Fran is also operating from a longer view because everyone knows he is not going anywhere for 5 years,minimum....Barta will leave before he fires Fran after the Lick debacle. In some respects, Fran has a luxury of knowing that he can build to a tourny team by year 3 or 4 or even 5....which might be more sustainable. SA won the BTT in year 2 then had a three year drought,which really hurt his credibility with fans. Better to make the NIT in year 2 and 3, then NCAA in year 4 and 5.

I would argue Fred has more security than Fran. Native son basketball hero coming home, and in the eyes of the fans could never do anything wrong. Heck Pollard would be fired before Fred ever will. So it would seem both coaches are in the same boat they have long term security.

Fred needed to restock the team with bodies due to the mass exodus of players under Mac. Happens he got some very good ones..

But for teams like ISU and Iowa the window to become relevant again is a small one. Both guys need to be in a tourney NIT or whatever by year 3.
Both guys can sell vision right now, lets face it they are both taking over train wrecks, but that sales pitch will only work for a short while.

Both schools have tall tasks ahead of them, according to Scout recruiting as it stands right now 5 of the top 25 schools in talent being brought in for 2011 are Big Ten schools.

For ISU, schools like KSU are good again, and schools like Baylor once a basketball doormat are now a national power. With CU and Nebby leaving the
conference, that took 4 winnable games off the schedule.. Now you have to play the likes of Texas, Baylor, OSU, twice..

Don't envy the challenge either of these guys face..

Is that your own star rating? Rivals doesn't list him as rated and Scout has him as a 2...

I am not a big fan of star rating and perhaps the kid will end up being a real player but highly rated, he is not...

Hell Cartwright was more rated than this kid!

Those 2 stars on scout are the pos rating but he doesn't have a pos rank so this would lead me to believe he hasn't been rated yet by scout. I think Rivals has him as a 3 star. ESPN 3 star #39 PG

Last edited:
Is that your own star rating? Rivals doesn't list him as rated and Scout has him as a 2...

I am not a big fan of star rating and perhaps the kid will end up being a real player but highly rated, he is not...

According to ESPN he is now a 3* rated at a 91 out of 100. (Before his profile was updated as comitting to ISU, he was a 4*)

I would argue Fred has more security than Fran. Native son basketball hero coming home, and in the eyes of the fans could never do anything wrong. Heck Pollard would be fired before Fred ever will. So it would seem both coaches are in the same boat they have long term security.

Fred needed to restock the team with bodies due to the mass exodus of players under Mac. Happens he got some very good ones..

But for teams like ISU and Iowa the window to become relevant again is a small one. Both guys need to be in a tourney NIT or whatever by year 3.
Both guys can sell vision right now, lets face it they are both taking over train wrecks, but that sales pitch will only work for a short while.

Both schools have tall tasks ahead of them, according to Scout recruiting as it stands right now 5 of the top 25 schools in talent being brought in for 2011 are Big Ten schools.

For ISU, schools like KSU are good again, and schools like Baylor once a basketball doormat are now a national power. With CU and Nebby leaving the
conference, that took 4 winnable games off the schedule.. Now you have to play the likes of Texas, Baylor, OSU, twice..

Don't envy the challenge either of these guys face..

Fred has more time than Fran and it's not debatable. Fred still went with guys that can help the program ASAP. If you don't win quickly you don't win at all. We've seen it far to often. Both teams will stink this year and 2011-2012 will be the year to watch. I like the "potential" ISU roster.

Oglesby would be a nice start but honestly he is not a game changer in any way shape or form. He has the ability to help most any program get better but he is not going to turn any program around.

Not a knock on the kid , I really hope that Iowa lands him. He could be a solid part of a very good class but is not a must get.
One player will not change ANY program around. But a group of players with a high level of specific skills will. JO is an exceptional shooter, has a high BB IQ and from what I have observed through the recruiting process is very mature. He is a top 120 kid being recruited by MN, IL, ASU, Bulter, etc. We need Josh on the team!

Fred has more time than Fran and it's not debatable. Fred still went with guys that can help the program ASAP. If you don't win quickly you don't win at all. We've seen it far to often. Both teams will stink this year and 2011-2012 will be the year to watch. I like the "potential" ISU roster.

I agree that Fred has more time, but one thing to think about is that Fran will be here as long as Barta is. Fran will be the last coach hired by Gary. So ultimately if Fran gets let go, so will Barta. Just something to think about when analyzing.

LOL. Almost every single college bball recruit that isn't rated in the top 100 is a three star. No matter what. And the rankings aren't even accurate outside the top 20 or so players.

Tavon Sledge has offers from West Virginia (Huggins), St. John's (Lavin), Rutgers, Seton Hall, and others. Those are Big East schools with coaches that know how to recruit, for the Big East has been one of the best leagues for years now. Sledge is a player, and he's going to be around for four years more than likely. Also a very mature young man from the interviews I've seen. He's an outstanding pick-up and should excel in a fast-paced offense.

I don't know why this kid is doing a school announcement at all. These things kind of drive me nuts. If you are a five star recruit, then I understand. But that is not the case here.
When these HS kids make their decision it is the biggest one in their life so far. Let the kid have his day! He wants to have his family and his coaches present when he announces. Some kids want to do it without the fanfare and some want a little fanfare. All of these kids have worked their tails off to get to the position they are in. Let them relish the moment as they want. IMO it is a good sign for Iowa. After following his recruiting, I think Josh is a very consientious kid and I don't think he would feel good about making an announcement in his home state that he is leaving. We will see soon!

LOL. Almost every single college bball recruit that isn't rated in the top 100 is a three star. No matter what. And the rankings aren't even accurate outside the top 20 or so players.

I agree.. It seems like stars matter more on the 4-5 star types of players, but after that, there is a large pool of 3-star prospects out there, and clearly some will be better than others, and it's more about talent evaluation. With the not-as-highly-rated players, I start to look more at a list of offers a recruit has.

I'd bet even money that if they were doing the star-rating thing when Davis was our coach (or were they?) that most of his recruits would probably have been tagged as 2-3 star players yet turned out to be pretty good Big Ten players.

In Ogleby's case, he has some nice offers - Illinois, ASU, Minnesota amongst others. That tells me that some good programs think he is worthy of a scholarship offer and that's really about all I need to know. I think Oglesby would be a good get for us, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If his only offers were UW Milwaukee and Prairie View A&M, I would hold a different opinion.

I think the only reason he goes public with his decision is because he picks Iowa. It will get all of his classmates excited that he's going to iowa, etc. Only reason I cqan see it.

I think the only reason he goes public with his decision is because he picks Iowa. It will get all of his classmates excited that he's going to iowa, etc. Only reason I cqan see it.

That's what everyone in Cleveland thought a couple months ago too...time to wake up and smell the 2010. Welcome to the business of CBB.

Haha, when Oglesby matters as much at Lebron to the game of Bball, then I'll believe this.

Barnes had his press conference in public and many thought that meant he would pick ISU. He's having it publicly because he wants to enjoy his day and decision no matter where he goes. I think it will be Iowa but I dont see how you can say Iowa is in better shape because of the way he is doing it

OK you can just stop right there at the bolded statement moron, 1)the requirements aren't much different, and 2) If they are transferring out of the B10 wouldn't they have already qualified academically for the B10? duh.

I want the program to turn around but the constant comparisons to ISU are just getting old. The back end of your post was quite insightful you should have just focused on that aspect instead of making yourself sound stupid and bitter over ISU.

Name-calling like you resort to indicates moronic tendencies,no doubt.
My point was clear...Big Ten malcontents are not available to Fran like they are to Freddy(no intra-conference transfers allowed),and other conferences malcontents might not qualify at Iowa,unlike Big Ten washouts who will qualify at ISU.... So Freddy tapped into a source of players that really was not available to Fran. So Freddy has a leg up on Fran outta the box.

As for the leash at both schools, I just think that Freddy has a shorter one due to the fact that he HAS NEVER COACHED IN HIS LIFE,unlike Fran who has been coaching in college for 20+ years....so if Freddy struggles, the legit question will arise....can he coach? With Fran that has been established.

Barnes had his press conference in public and many thought that meant he would pick ISU. He's having it publicly because he wants to enjoy his day and decision no matter where he goes. I think it will be Iowa but I dont see how you can say Iowa is in better shape because of the way he is doing it

Barnes chose NC which is in a little different class than ISU or Iowa. Minny, ASU aren't as big of stretch better than Iowa compared to NC. Now if he was the best player in the nation then I wouldn't say this. I consider it to be more like the Derby deal last year.

Latest posts