Oglesby Announcement on Wednesday

I saw that announcement. We really need to get him. If we lose another in-state kid and our 4th prospect in a week, things are going to be rocky for Fran. He has "talked-the-talk" so far but has yet to "walk-the-walk" per say. His counterpart in Ames has never coached a game yet kids are flocking to play for him. He is quietly putting together a top 20 class. Fran already has his work cut out but he has yet to get a single comittment for 2011 class and if he is going to roll the dice with the 2012 class and that doesn't work out, he could be writing his death sentence before even coaching a game for Iowa.

Maybe it's the bad news recently but I just don't have a good feeling about this. Fran got in late with Josh and I think that is really going to hurt us. I hope I'm wrong becasue if Josh comitts it will help others follow but if he goes elsewhere (hearing Arizona State) we are going the be recruiting what ever is leftover and we've been down that road the past 7 years.

I happen to agree that Josh is a must get for the Hawks. I think Josh pulls the trigger for the Black and Gold.

I would be surprised if he didn't come to Iowa, unless he was absolutely blown away by his latest trip to the desert. He has a chance to be part of a crew of guys to help bring Iowa back.

I would be surprised if he didn't come to Iowa, unless he was absolutely blown away by his latest trip to the desert. He has a chance to be part of a crew of guys to help bring Iowa back.

I sure hope so Spank. Herb is doing something right in Sun Devil land though, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised. I am just nervous about this one. It has dissapointment written all over. It is a big decision because if he says "yes" then it will help with other higher profile recruits wanting to help rebuild. If he says "no" then I think we are really going to struggle to get quality recruits. For another in-state kid to say "no" to Iowa, will portray a huge negative image on a program that doesn't need anymore bad press. Crossing my fingers...

I saw that announcement. We really need to get him. If we lose another in-state kid and our 4th prospect in a week, things are going to be rocky for Fran. He has "talked-the-talk" so far but has yet to "walk-the-walk" per say. His counterpart in Ames has never coached a game yet kids are flocking to play for him. He is quietly putting together a top 20 class. Fran already has his work cut out but he has yet to get a single comittment for 2011 class and if he is going to roll the dice with the 2012 class and that doesn't work out, he could be writing his death sentence before even coaching a game for Iowa.

Maybe it's the bad news recently but I just don't have a good feeling about this. Fran got in late with Josh and I think that is really going to hurt us. I hope I'm wrong becasue if Josh comitts it will help others follow but if he goes elsewhere (hearing Arizona State) we are going the be recruiting what ever is leftover and we've been down that road the past 7 years.

Seriously...WTF are you talking about with ISU having a top 20 class? The last time I checked their 4 commits for next year had about as many good offers as I do...

Fran hasn't coached at game at Iowa yet. He'll have plenty of time to put his plan in place regardless of JO's decision. That said, I hope he's a Hawk.

I sure hope so Spank. Herb is doing something right in Sun Devil land though, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised. I am just nervous about this one. It has dissapointment written all over. It is a big decision because if he says "yes" then it will help with other higher profile recruits wanting to help rebuild. If he says "no" then I think we are really going to struggle to get quality recruits. For another in-state kid to say "no" to Iowa, will portray a huge negative image on a program that doesn't need anymore bad press. Crossing my fingers...

Are we talking about Harrison Barnes or Josh Ogelsby? I hope Josh comes to the Hawks but it sounds like his strength is perimeter shooting, is he another Bawinkel? Is Uthoff any better than Cougill or Brommer? Harris would be a huge get and the 2012 and 2013 class is better than any class in the past 20 years. Give fran and staff some freaking time to turn this around, if the 2012 and 13 classes like what they see this winter and the Hawks take a step forward then the recruits will come. 2011 NIT

Seriously...WTF are you talking about with ISU having a top 20 class? The last time I checked their 4 commits for next year had about as many good offers as I do...

Elgin Cook is top 100 in 2011 class, Tavon Sledge (I think he comitted just recently) is a 4* top 200 in 2011 class plus a couple more they have. Then you throw in Royce White, Chris Babb and Chris Allen transfers that's pretty darn good class for a coach who has never coached.

If Paige is looking at Iowa State or Iowa for 2012 who looks more competitive?? We probably don't have a chance with Paige to begin with but getting some talent in Iowa City to build around would help. Hoiberg is way ahead of the recruiting game right now and Iowa State is looking more competitive.

Am I jealous, heck yeah, because I hate Iowa State and have to hear about how Hoiberg is putting together a "national title caliber" team EVERY DAY!! While Iowa sits at ZERO comittments!

Oglesby would help big time and if Fran can get a couple more then I will feel much more positive but at this point things look pretty dull.

Maybe I'm being a drama queen, but I think this Wednesday's announcement might have "turning point" written all over it. Get Oglesby, and maybe that will kickstart things. Don't get him and well.. Don't want to go there. But I don't think it would bode well.

I don't want to place too much importance on a single recruit, but we've got to lock up the in-state guys. If we can't keep Iowans at home, who are we going to be able to get?

Elgin Cook is top 100 in 2011 class, Tavon Sledge (I think he comitted just recently) is a 4* top 200 in 2011 class plus a couple more they have. Then you throw in Royce White, Chris Babb and Chris Allen transfers that's pretty darn good class for a coach who has never coached.

If Paige is looking at Iowa State or Iowa for 2012 who looks more competitive?? We probably don't have a chance with Paige to begin with but getting some talent in Iowa City to build around would help. Hoiberg is way ahead of the recruiting game right now and Iowa State is looking more competitive.

Am I jealous, heck yeah, because I hate Iowa State and have to hear about how Hoiberg is putting together a "national title caliber" team EVERY DAY!! While Iowa sits at ZERO comittments!

Oglesby would help big time and if Fran can get a couple more then I will feel much more positive but at this point things look pretty dull.

Agree with everything you said. And yes, Tavon Sledge committed today.
They also picked up a nice JuCo guard about a week ago (think he was from Tx and held an Iowa offer as well). If things don't blow up there, ISU is gonna be pretty tough in a year. If Oglesby bolts, then it's yet another kick in the balls. We already lost Travis to PSU, which pretty much sums up the state of the program.

Getting Olgesby would be a nice icebreaker for the 2011 class.

It's not the end of the world that the staff hasn't been able to get anyone at this point. They are still developing and cultivating those relationships.

Got my black and gold glasses on, thinking he is going to announce in front of the home town that he is going down the short trip on 380 to college. Wants to be part of the resurrection of Iowa basketball. If he was going elsewhere, maybe wouldn't do it this way.
I can wish can't I?

I think a lot of you are correct. Oglesby isn't a program changer but he could be a really nice kick start in recruiting. Maybe he helps land some in state kids. There is a lot of nice talent coming out of Iowa lately.

It's Iowa or Minnesota. I don't think we need to worry about Arizona State on this one.

If he chooses Minny...OUCH! That means we will get to see TWO Iowa kids right from the Iowa City area playing against hometown Hawks sometimes 4x a year for 4 years!! If Oglesby goes to another rival Big Ten school and BOTH he and Uthoff see success, that would be a doble whammy to Iowa and Fran.

Last edited:

Not all Fred's doing, they kept the recruiting coordinator but if you look at transfers + recruits:

The kid from Wisconsin is at top 75 kid. Scout I think had him at 75th ranked
The commit they got today had offers from St Johns, West Virginia other big east schools.
JC kid a 3 - 4 star prospect depending on the scouting service.
The Kid from Texas was an early commit, seemed someone they targeted and got.
A 5 star transfer (we can only go by the stars on this one since he did not play for the Gophers).

Double digit scorer from Penn State, and a kid from SIU who rated top 50-75 out high out of high school, but has not lived up to that billing as SIU.

Rivals and Scout do not take into account transfers, from other division 1 schools, (which is strange because they take into account JC's) if they did ISU would easily be a top 20 class.

I think that is where the poster is coming from regarding top 20.

Last edited: