OFFICIAL: Iowa Names Greg Davis as OC

Not much has changed. Kirk usually waits until February to make coaching changes or hires. I assume Brian will stick around for the Bowl Game. After that, the position will sit empty until Feb.

Great news. Pitt fired their OC. They were 17 spots ahead of Iowa in yards per game (318 to 247) and averaged 2.2 more points per game than the Hawks.

This may be a little to risky for KF, but maybe he should hire him!

You know, I always thought Davis had a nice knack as a play caller. I didn't like the conception of his offense, his ideas just didn't blend effectively with KF's philosophy. But within the offense that he conceived, I thought he was able to keep defenses off balance.

I much prefer the offense that BF was trying to coordinate, I just don't think he had much knack as a play caller. It was okay the first few years before tendencies were established, but I think every DC pretty much has him pegged, and he has never shown the ability to zig when they think he is going to zag. I also think the offense is too complicated for the players to execute at a consistently high level, too much thinking required on the fly. That is a good thing for preparing for the NFL, but it weeds out talented kids that could otherwise contribute.

You know, I always thought Davis had a nice knack as a play caller. I didn't like the conception of his offense, his ideas just didn't blend effectively with KF's philosophy. But within the offense that he conceived, I thought he was able to keep defenses off balance.

I much prefer the offense that BF was trying to coordinate, I just don't think he had much knack as a play caller. It was okay the first few years before tendencies were established, but I think every DC pretty much has him pegged, and he has never shown the ability to zig when they think he is going to zag. I also think the offense is too complicated for the players to execute at a consistently high level, too much thinking required on the fly. That is a good thing for preparing for the NFL, but it weeds out talented kids that could otherwise contribute.

Wow, I disagree completely. Davis's playbook was way too complicated and his route tree options required an NFL caliber QB to run effectively, which we only had when CJB was running the offense. I think Brian has done a great job with play calling, it's just that the line has sucked so hard that there's damned near nothing you can call that won't get blown up immediately. I think if Brian had the full keys to an offense like the one we had in 2015 the guy would have looked amazing. He was run game coordinator that season and Canzieri looked like a dude who could have played at Wisconsin by the end of the season. I just can't believe how much our talent has fallen off - part of it is just our region and our Big Ten West opponents are all facing the same problem, but that talent drop is the main reason I was semi-ok with firing the guy.