OFFICIAL: Iowa Names Greg Davis as OC

If this guy was the QB coach that produced 3 of only 5 NFL starters from Texas, with all the studs they have had come through there, that is impressive, as is averaging 39 ppg, tops in BCS conference teams in the decade he was there. He also adapts his offense to his personnel, drops 60 in weakling opponents, and has had a year to reflect and ways to do things, plus brings a new, fresh perspective from a powerhouse program outside the walls of Iowa City. I like it. I keep reading how the only coach more conservative than Okeefe was this guy, but I think he will be fine, and it's not like Kirk was going to go hire a coach from Oregon's offense or something.

And let's not forget that he may perhaps have a small chip on his shoulder and feel there's a bit 'o something to prove. That attitude seems to work well at Iowa.

I'll reserve judgement, give the guy a chance and see what he rolls out next year.

Dog bites man.

Query - If he is hired to run KF's offense, does it matter who "he" is?

I've heard Jon say many times the KOK was just running the type of offense that KF wanted. Why will this be any different with Davis?

Even if Davis runs the exact same offense as KOK had to he has to be a better play caller than KOK. Most Hawkeye fans could call 75% of the plays before they were run under KOK. He was WAY too predictable.

Dog bites man.

Query - If he is hired to run KF's offense, does it matter who "he" is?

I've heard Jon say many times the KOK was just running the type of offense that KF wanted. Why will this be any different with Davis?

I Greg Davis breaks more tendencies or doesnt show as many tendencies as under KOK then it will be an improvement.

If Greg Davis can keep the opposing defense off balance we will be better off.

I think we will see a better 1st down efficiency.

I think Dunder is right. I also do not think KoK left just for the opportunity.

The timing was perfect, and he was able to leave on his own.

Anyway, now let the screaming begin.

I will second that.

So no more waiting until the fourth quarter when the game is out of hand, to open it up, and throw the ball against a 30 mph wind?

I renewed season tickets. I'm excited, even if the transition takes a couple of years of growing pains. I don't think it will, as the offense will be almost what it was.

Play calling on the other hand? I think this will be almost completely different.

I don't want to pile on but this is my thought as well. I pray that Ferentz will back off now and allow him to run the kind of offense that best suits our talent. That is the only way IMO that he can improve our offense. Someone please tell me Ferentz won't ruin this one!

Dog bites man. Query - If he is hired to run KF's offense, does it matter who "he" is? I've heard Jon say many times the KOK was just running the type of offense that KF wanted. Why will this be any different with Davis?

After this long with KOK all the other B10 teams just dusted off last years game plan, the senior dfensive players didnt have to prep as much, etc.

If Davis just mixes in a half dozen new plays and a couple formations it forces the opponent to split up their time and do more game prep.

That has to be good.

HAHAHAHAHA. You are so funny. Such a comedian.

Hey! It's you!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting for you to explain your name by the way.....
why do you need fifteen pens? Just saying...it's a lot of ink to deal with. What if they all went off at once?

can't wait to see Greg Davis in action.

I'll take an offensive coordinator who has coached in two BCS national championship games any day we can get them. Has Iowa ever had any coach on it's staff that can say that?

Like all the hires, new blood, younger, two of the things I was hoping for. Almost more excited what BF and Woods can bring to the staff than anything else.