***Official Hawks Stomp The Ill-Lye-Nye For A Double Bye Game Thread***

Teams have figured out that if you body up Weiskamp he will take a couple of dribbles and look to pass. That has to change. Joe has enough talent to take it to the rim or pull up and shoot over guys. Dasunmu hurt us late in the game on the hard drive and pull up jumper. I think Joe can hit those but he's not looking to take those shots. I suppose with Garza just killing it down low Joe would think that's a bad shot for him to take. Also, I thought Fran didnt use Joe T enough late..could have used his defense.

CMac is not a major D 1 player. He has a very large basketball I. I will give him that. But talent wise he is a Mid conference stud.

I saw the same player at our HS that went on to play for Mizzou. Smartest kid on the team, could shoot the 3, could make a pass. But thats it. He was not a starter. CMac is the same kid, with Daddy as his D1 coach and not just his HS coach like the kid Im talking about.

Fran did recruit a team ready to last... they lost Cook to the NBA, Moss transfer, Nunge and Bohannon injured for season. That is 4 starters! The depth on this team would have been solid.
We had a freshman guard and transfer guard come in and pick up slack. Also very surprised with Fredrick.
It will be very interesting to see who comes back next season.
You will always lose players to various different things whether it’s transfer, professional ball, or injury.

What you’re saying doesn’t hold water because it implies that Iowa’s the only team this happens to. It’s happens everywhere and you have to be ready for it.

This is not a great Iowa team, injuries have plagued them all season. No one is suggesting that it is, that’s said, they’ve played well despite the circumstances. Top 25 level, but not much higher. Not enough to be considered elite imo.

No they're not elite. This team isn't as talented as the 2013-2014 team or the 2015-2016 team that should have done more but they are far tougher mentally than those teams. Far better in pressure situations, can take punches and keep coming.

Connor, JW, and JT and even BE can hit pressure FTs. Those teams didn't have the guards that could do that. Connor rarely makes mistakes period.

And lets be real. They win 2 NCAA tournament games, which I think they have by far the best chance of any of Fran's teams because of Garza, and they're the best Iowa team in the last 2 decades. I would say thats a great Iowa team.

CMac is not a major D 1 player. He has a very large basketball I. I will give him that. But talent wise he is a Mid conference stud.

I saw the same player at our HS that went on to play for Mizzou. Smartest kid on the team, could shoot the 3, could make a pass. But thats it. He was not a starter. CMac is the same kid, with Daddy as his D1 coach and not just his HS coach like the kid Im talking about.
Seems like a crazy weird time to be talking bad about Connor. He played great. 10 points / 8 assists. Leads the country in assist to turnover ratio at the P5 level. He’s not flashy but he’s a great glue guy IMO, and I’ve been one of the posters on here that’s been down on him the most.

When you are down by double digits and the D is giving you the shot and you don't take it, you are the problem. At that point it is 5 on 4. Joe is taking on what he isn't equipped to do. He's a 2 or sometimes three hauling the weight of a 4. That would still be OK if the magic faciitator was a threat. at one point Iowa was outscored 47-21. At what point does the magic facilitator start to take what was give....when it's really late that's when.

I understand Connor needs to take 2-3 outside shoots to keep the defense honest, but his roll is not to chunk it up there 10 times a game. We need our top 3 scorers to handle most of the load and when the 3rd scorer on the team is not playing with any effort, it pretty much limits your options on offense. That is why I don’t understand why JT was withheld for the majority of the second half after playing a very good first half. We need at least 3 scoring options. 4 defenders can guard 2 pretty easy.

Teams have figured out that if you body up Weiskamp he will take a couple of dribbles and look to pass. That has to change. Joe has enough talent to take it to the rim or pull up and shoot over guys. Dasunmu hurt us late in the game on the hard drive and pull up jumper. I think Joe can hit those but he's not looking to take those shots. I suppose with Garza just killing it down low Joe would think that's a bad shot for him to take. Also, I thought Fran didnt use Joe T enough late..could have used his defense.

Problem is Joe has no left hand, and very average handles. Teams know this. It’s why a Joe is getting beat to his spot; forced into picking up the ball after a few dribbles or worse yet turning the ball over. Happened multiple times in the OSU game. Made him look silly and very one-dimensional.

Problem is Joe has no left hand, and very average handles. Teams know this. It’s why a Joe is getting beat to his spot; forced into picking up the ball after a few dribbles or worse yet turning the ball over. Happened multiple times in the OSU game. Made him look silly and very one-dimensional.
His biggest issue is his slow first step . Defenders beat him to his first step before he gets there . He flat out can’t go around quick defenders .

It would have been nice if Iowa could have throw up some kind of game-winning three attempt at the end.

I turned the game off in disgust when Iowa went on the big turnover run and Illinois went on the big scoring run. I flipped back at the end to see Iowa down only four. It's nice the team fought back, but they have to ixnay the shit play that got them deep in the hole.

You will always lose players to various different things whether it’s transfer, professional ball, or injury.

What you’re saying doesn’t hold water because it implies that Iowa’s the only team this happens to. It’s happens everywhere and you have to be ready for it.
I don't mind saying this considering how you treat other posters. Your post is downright stupid. (Any I say that knowing half of your posts make me laugh) All injuries are not considered equal and every team gets worse when the right player (wrong) gets hurt. It's great bumper sticker material to say you have to fight through injuries because every team has them. But in the real world, teams get worse when key players get hurt. And in the real world, some teams lose 40% of their starting lineup, a key bench player, and another starter for 25% of the season, while other teams have a 7th man sprain an ankle and miss a game. But hey, all teams deal with injuries huh?

I don't mind saying this considering how you treat other posters. Your post is downright stupid. (Any I say that knowing half of your posts make me laugh) All injuries are not considered equal and every team gets worse when the right player (wrong) gets hurt. It's great bumper sticker material to say you have to fight through injuries because every team has them. But in the real world, teams get worse when key players get hurt. And in the real world, some teams lose 40% of their starting lineup, a key bench player, and another starter for 25% of the season, while other teams have a 7th man sprain an ankle and miss a game. But hey, all teams deal with injuries huh?
So what you’re saying is that Iowa consistently has to deal with more injury problems than any other team? Is that right? Because that’s how it sounds.

And any way you want to spin it, our squad aside from Garza is built like an AAU team and it shows. They get consistently pushed around on both ends of the court. Wieskamp spends just as much time falling down as he doesn’t on his feet. Kriener gets boxed out at will and ends up with his back to the ball. A guy his size should be putting on the kind of muscle and athleticism Garza has. And like I’ve said a bunch of times before, they can’t handle extended conference play in the B1G. Fran fade isn’t a coincidence or something unlucky. There’s a reason they can’t hold it together down the stretch and it’d be a whole lot worse if they didn’t have Garza to ride on.

Mmm, maybe not.
And any way you want to spin it, our squad aside from Garza is built like an AAU team and it shows. They get consistently pushed around on both ends of the court. Wieskamp spends just as much time falling down as he doesn’t on his feet. Kriener gets boxed out at will and ends up with his back to the ball. A guy his size should be putting on the kind of muscle and athleticism Garza has. And like I’ve said a bunch of times before, they can’t handle extended conference play in the B1G. Fran fade isn’t a coincidence or something unlucky. There’s a reason they can’t hold it together down the stretch and it’d be a whole lot worse if they didn’t have Garza to ride on.

Damn near beat Ill in their gym when we had been down 14. This team is not un-tough. Kriener misses box-outs when his head fades the moment but he's plenty strong and able when he does himself right.

Joe T is major tough. Conner- does not need explanation. CJ bounces back, does not back down.

Fact is, the margin for error is so slim when you're playing a top 25 team about everyone fucking night. They don't clear the D glass. Transition D is mediocre. Interior D against Kofi Cockburn is mediocre. Otherwise this is a tough team that fights back and has some skills.

Last edited:

Latest posts