***Official Hawks Stomp The Ill-Lye-Nye For A Double Bye Game Thread***

So what you’re saying is that Iowa consistently has to deal with more injury problems than any other team? Is that right? Because that’s how it sounds.

And any way you want to spin it, our squad aside from Garza is built like an AAU team and it shows. They get consistently pushed around on both ends of the court. Wieskamp spends just as much time falling down as he doesn’t on his feet. Kriener gets boxed out at will and ends up with his back to the ball. A guy his size should be putting on the kind of muscle and athleticism Garza has. And like I’ve said a bunch of times before, they can’t handle extended conference play in the B1G. Fran fade isn’t a coincidence or something unlucky. There’s a reason they can’t hold it together down the stretch and it’d be a whole lot worse if they didn’t have Garza to ride on.
Consistently? I'm talking about this year. This year, they've consistently dealt with more injuries that almost any other team in the nation. And the Fran fade has happened 3 times in 10 years. This year isn't one of them. Two of the three fades book ended a team that one their last 6 conference games. They had mostly the same roster, give or take a player or two, as the two teams that faded around it. I agree that your theory makes sense at first thought, but think a little longer and it just doesn't add up. A team fades at the end of the year, the next team finishes strong, then the next team fades again. Where did those strong players come from that year in the middle?

And my god we cant say this year was a fade. We lost 3 of the last 4 with 2 of the losses coming on the road against top 25 teams and the one win coming at home against a top 25 team. That's not a fricking fade.

I will say this tho. This year has one thing in common with one of the fade teams. Wieskamp started playing way worse down the stretch like Uthoff did. But that's not a trend either. That's two good players in 10 years falling apart at the end of the year.

Mmm, maybe not.

Damn near beat Ill in their gym when we had been down 14. This team is not un-tough. Kriener misses box-outs when his head fades the moment but he's plenty strong and able when he does himself right.

Joe T is major tough. Conner- does not need expectation. CJ bounces back, does not back down.

Fact is, the margin for error is so slim when you're playing a top 25 team about everyone fucking night. They don't clear the D glass. Transition D is mediocre. Interior D against Kofi Cockburn is mediocre. Otherwise this is a tough team that fights back and has some skills.
Correct. If this entire season proved anything, it's that we are a top 25 team from start of the year to finish. That's not great. But we did lose 2 starters for the year which means guys like Pemsl and Evelyn played way more minutes than they should have. Evelyn stepped up a bit. Pemsl didn't. But no matter how you slice it, your 9th and 10th best players are going to be a drop off from your 4th and 5th best(ish) players.

And my god we cant say this year was a fade. We lost 3 of the last 4 with 2 of the losses coming on the road against top 25 teams and the one win coming at home against a top 25 team. That's not a fricking fade.
Sorry, but you’re wrong.

From 12/9 - 1/27 Iowa went 9-2 and beat three ranked teams, from that point on they’re 5-6 and lost to three un-ranked teams. Whatever the reason, that’s fizzling out down the most important stretch of the season. Call it whatever you want.

My last comment on this game - I sound like Ferentz here, but if Garza had held his screen for a second longer, Fredrick would have had a clean look at the baseline, unless Cockburn comes over on him and then Garza can roll to the rim. I'm talking about execution. Garza jumped the gun a litte, it's hard to do, because he wants to make a play. So, I'm not being super critical because without him, Iowa is toast, but sometimes the fundamental things make the difference.

Mmm, maybe not.

Damn near beat Ill in their gym when we had been down 14. This team is not un-tough. Kriener misses box-outs when his head fades the moment but he's plenty strong and able when he does himself right.

Joe T is major tough. Conner- does not need expectation. CJ bounces back, does not back down.

Fact is, the margin for error is so slim when you're playing a top 25 team about everyone fucking night. They don't clear the D glass. Transition D is mediocre. Interior D against Kofi Cockburn is mediocre. Otherwise this is a tough team that fights back and has some skills.
I never said they weren’t “tough,” that takes many forms. What I said is our team lacks physicality in all phases outside of Garza. Many problems can be alleviated in the weight room and by being a stronger presence. If you can’t see our guys get completely fucking manhandled by Purdue, Michigan, MSU, Illinois, (again, Garza not included) and out quicked by Penn State then I don’t know what games you watch and I don’t know what to say to to ya.

So what you’re saying is that Iowa consistently has to deal with more injury problems than any other team? Is that right? Because that’s how it sounds.

And any way you want to spin it, our squad aside from Garza is built like an AAU team and it shows. They get consistently pushed around on both ends of the court. Wieskamp spends just as much time falling down as he doesn’t on his feet. Kriener gets boxed out at will and ends up with his back to the ball. A guy his size should be putting on the kind of muscle and athleticism Garza has. And like I’ve said a bunch of times before, they can’t handle extended conference play in the B1G. Fran fade isn’t a coincidence or something unlucky. There’s a reason they can’t hold it together down the stretch and it’d be a whole lot worse if they didn’t have Garza to ride on.
No, he’s saying this season Iowa has dealt with more injuries. They have.

Sorry, but you’re wrong.

From 12/9 - 1/27 Iowa went 9-2 and beat three ranked teams, from that point on they’re 5-6 and lost to three un-ranked teams. Whatever the reason, that’s fizzling out down the most important stretch of the season. Call it whatever you want.
Iowa was 5-3 in Feb in the toughest stretch of their schedule, down 3 scholarship players with a 4th missing multiple games, if you think that is a fade I can’t help ya Fry. They also had 3 top 25 wins. They just lost to a top 25 team on the road on the last possession, it’s not a moral victory but ya live with that type of effort on the road and move on.

Last edited:
BTW, if you're one of those people that bought $200 worth of toilet paper, please kill yourself.

Funny. On another board there is a guy who lives in Australia. He has family coming from the states for a visit, and he cannot find TP anywhere. The country has sold out.

I understand Connor needs to take 2-3 outside shoots to keep the defense honest, but his roll is not to chunk it up there 10 times a game. We need our top 3 scorers to handle most of the load and when the 3rd scorer on the team is not playing with any effort, it pretty much limits your options on offense. That is why I don’t understand why JT was withheld for the majority of the second half after playing a very good first half. We need at least 3 scoring options. 4 defenders can guard 2 pretty easy.
Season % from 3...

CJ 46.1
Garza 35.8
JW 34.7
Connor 34.0

CJ is our best 3 point shooter. Connor is right there with Garza and JW. I want him to take a couple more per game.

I have more thoughts on this team and season but PC & InGood are handling this discussion very well without my help.

That's just it, there is too much wallowing from these defeatist in a loss. Is Iowa elite? No probably not. Could they still reach the sweet 16? Sure with the right draw. They have blown some opportunities this season. It's hard to get too upset with that considering the circumstances this team faced. Iowa lost on the road to one of the better teams in the country last night, no real shame there for me. They gave themselves a shot to win it, it didn't happen, ya live with it. I am more pissy about the Purdue loss or the Nebraska loss early in the season. Those were more winnable games on paper, but last night, Iowa almost pulled it off. Not bad. That's not moral victory, but ya gotta applaud the effort.

Iowa is 20-11, 11-9 against what Ken Pom states is the 5th hardest schedule in the country currently. Perspective now that the season is over. Iowa is 7-5 vs top 25 teams and won 11 games in by far the countries best conference. This all down 3 to 4 scholarship players throughout most of the season. They lost Cook, Moss and Baer off of last year and they finished higher in their conference standings (in a much tougher league top to bottom) and will get a higher seed in the NCAA. Not bad. We've got a Wooden award winner who likely, barring something crazy, is going to return for his SR. year. We have a player who through 3/4's of the season played at an All B1G level who is only a SO and he will return next season. We have the best shooter in basketball getting ready for next season. Things are not bad guys. Not great either, but not bad. Had you gave me all those things as an option before the year tipped I would taken it in a heart beat and asked no further questions.

Last edited:
I agree with Fry that our players, under Fran, are not strong enough to compete in the grind of a 20 game B1G season. But I also think this year's team is easily the "toughest" team Fran has had, which I believe allowed them to play above their lack of physicality.

Just watching Garza alone has made this season fun to watch. I don’t understand anyone complaining about this season as a whole.

We’ve got the most favorable draw I can ever remember in the BTT. We should win our Thursday game against a team that played about 18 hours prior. And I think we will see a team playing it’s 3rd game in 3 days or 4th game in 4 days Saturday if we can get by Illinois.

The NCAA is wide open. We have an unstoppable All American and a group of guys that plays as a team. The Final Four will likely include 2 or 3 teams that got hot. We’ve got a group of guys that haven’t been collectively hot in awhile. Make some 3s and anything can happen.

So you consider teams like South Carolina, Loyola-Chicago and Nevada nationally relevant then? They've each made the Sweet 16 in the past 3 years, and yet none of them are sniffing the dance this season.

Sweet 16's make you nationally relevant if you consistently reach them. But they are not a good barometer for success because all it takes is a decent draw and a good run to make them once.

Last edited:
I agree with Fry that our players, under Fran, are not strong enough to compete in the grind of a 20 game B1G season. But I also think this year's team is easily the "toughest" team Fran has had, which I believe allowed them to play above their lack of physicality.

Besides CJ being scuffed up for a handful of games, our injuries largely were before the conference season even happened. Iowa has not always faced an injury bug. Injuries are part of the game and they aren't an excuse, but they can be a reason. Iowa has faced more then most this year and they were already up against it with early departures that left last season with eligibility. It's part of the reason I am still upbeat about Iowa hoops.... all things considered, pretty good.

Not sure what stat's you're looking at but covid is 34 times more deadly than flu at this point. Sorry, not trying to hi-jack this thread.

GO HAWKS!
No problem.

SARS kill rate 10%
MERS kill rate 35%
Wuhan flu kill rate 3%
everyday flu kill rate 1-1.5%

This Wuhan flu is infecting more people than SARS and MERS but in initial cases the kill rate is far less.

—Mayo clinic

No problem.

SARS kill rate 10%
MERS kill rate 35%
Wuhan flu kill rate 3%
everyday flu kill rate 1-1.5%

This Wuhan flu is infecting more people than SARS and MERS but in initial cases the kill rate is far less.

—Mayo clinic
WHO says 3.4% compared to .1% for flu. From CDC: 35.5 million illnesses, 34,200 deaths 2018-2019. Not sure how you get 1-1.5% from that.

Last edited:

Latest posts