***Official Hawks Stomp The Ill-Lye-Nye For A Double Bye Game Thread***

I'm just pissed Bohannon didn't burn his medical redshirt to come out in a suit and bury a 3. Cause he would have.

Fredrick was a no show. Wieskamp still missing in action.

Iowa needs to figure out a way to generate open 3 point shots. Shooting under 20 3s is not a good formula for Iowa.

Truth. With Garz, CJ, Weezy all in at the same time, you'd think we could get more open looks.

Its not ideal, but Cmac and Toussaint need to shhit more early if they are bodying cj and weezy., if they can hit a couple early...

And for the love of Gid, Wieskamp need to shoot deep more when there's space, he's 6'6" ! He hit the first one he shot...tyen wouldn't. I don't get it

Actually that’s not true. Fran never calls time on O for a last shot...he says he doesn’t want other team to set defense. Also, we don’t have a shot to win at the end if Fran doesn’t take early TOs.
Illinois had already taken one to set their D. But I see your point.

Why not bitch at Conner. He stands around most of the game. JW always has someone 30 percent bigger on him. See what that does to your legs and shit. Bitch bitch bitch. Kid plays his heart out. Conner finally decided to shoot wide open. Joe doesn't get those.

Connor is a facilitator that’s his role. JoeW is supposed to be our scorer, attacker and shooter. He hasn’t done any of that the second half of the season. He hasn’t played with aggression and his defense and effort to me is a real concern. Garza and CJ are playing with a chip in their shoulder. I don’t see that from Weiskamp since the Wisconsin game.

If Garza goes pro and JBo isn't 100%, this team might be really ugly next season. Some booster needs to make sure Garza sticks around.

True. But to be fair, this season was by all accounts, was supposed to be pretty ugly....prior to the emergence of Garza, who's just unreal.

I think Garza comes back, but who knows.

Frank Garza needs to put on a all summer clinic and program for the team.

Does Wieskamp need Bohannon? Was it the rise of Garza that somehow lowered his confidence? Is there a part of his game that defenses learned to stop him?
So does Garza come back? Does Bohannon come back? Will Nunge remain healthy?
love it! WE needed Bohannon down the stretch because JW was so bad. No Garza had nothing to do with Weiskamp's confidence (or his inability to block out and secure a defensive rebound), this and more in the next episode of The Stomach Turns.

True. But to be fair, this season was by all accounts, was supposed to be pretty ugly....prior to the emergence of Garza, who's just unreal.

I think Garza comes back, but who knows.

Frank Garza needs to put on a all summer clinic and program for the team.
Frank is already on record saying Luka needs more work.

Anyone get a good look at the rebound on Connors shot that got reviewed at the end? It looked like #21 for Illinois touched the ball over the cylinder from the back view that they only showed once, and the replay they showed in the postgame only showed the sequence live, and you couldn’t see anything definitive on it.

If any of you that shell out for good dish/cable that can do rewind gave that back view a rewatch, I’d be curious to know what you think.

There were a few of our guys that seemed to think it was a goaltend at least.

Joe Wieskamp...most disappointing season for a Hawkeye in over a decade.

Show time...shooting blanks.
It's been a bad February for Joe. Can't sugar coat it. If he plays like he did earlier in the first half of the BT season, they probably tie for the BT title. But he didn't and the Hawks didn't, so on we go. Hoping for a good BTT effort to re-set this team for the NCAA tournament.

It's been a bad February for Joe. Can't sugar coat it. If he plays like he did earlier in the first half of the BT season, they probably tie for the BT title. But he didn't and the Hawks didn't, so on we go. Hoping for a good BTT effort to re-set this team for the NCAA tournament.
A talented athlete competing with no confidence, is not a pretty sight.

F moral victories, but 5th place for this team considering the circumstances they faced is a god damn miracle. I’m not happy with only 5th place, but yet somehow satisfied that it’s not worse
I’m not bent out of shape by any means, but Fran has to start trying to recruit lineups that can last a B1G season without falling apart down the stretch. The Big Ten has become a league where big, physical dudes dominate in all aspects. This includes Luka Garza.

Not all of those big physical guys come into the league that way. They train their asses off in the weight room and you can see it across the board on successful teams. Look at Garza. The reason he improved so much and is having so much success is due mostly to the time he’s spent developing his body. Literally every opposing coach in their presser has said they’re blown away with what he’s done with his body and how much muscle and speed he’s put on since he got here.

We have a team of bean poles who get moved around like furniture. Wieskamp and Bohannon both have had Liesti-puff articles about how many hours they put in shooting by themselves. Why can’t that time be spent in the weight room or on the track? Wisconsin posts twitter photos of their team looking like shredded football players...MSU, Michigan, Illinois, you name it, teams that have success in the Big Ten are built on guys who develop their bodies, not playing HORSE with their girlfriends.

Either way, Fran’s potential (which I believe is real) won’t be realized until he can get guys willing to be physical, and most importantly, more than five of them so they can substitute without a Till or Ash being forced in the game. He likes to recruit skinny shooters because his style of ball forgoes defense for perimeter shooting. That doesn’t work in big boy land anymore like it did in the 90s.

I just bought the movie Airplane on Blu ray the other day at Best Buy...hopefully it will make me feel better after the Illinois game.

27691_large.jpg

Connor is a facilitator that’s his role. JoeW is supposed to be our scorer, attacker and shooter. He hasn’t done any of that the second half of the season. He hasn’t played with aggression and his defense and effort to me is a real concern. Garza and CJ are playing with a chip in their shoulder. I don’t see that from Weiskamp since the Wisconsin game.

When you are down by double digits and the D is giving you the shot and you don't take it, you are the problem. At that point it is 5 on 4. Joe is taking on what he isn't equipped to do. He's a 2 or sometimes three hauling the weight of a 4. That would still be OK if the magic faciitator was a threat. at one point Iowa was outscored 47-21. At what point does the magic facilitator start to take what was give....when it's really late that's when.

I’m not bent out of shape by any means, but Fran has to start trying to recruit lineups that can last a B1G season without falling apart down the stretch. The Big Ten has become a league where big, physical dudes dominate in all aspects. This includes Luka Garza.

Not all of those big physical guys come into the league that way. They train their asses off in the weight room and you can see it across the board on successful teams. Look at Garza. The reason he improved so much and is having so much success is due mostly to the time he’s spent developing his body. Literally every opposing coach in their presser has said they’re blown away with what he’s done with his body and how much muscle and speed he’s put on since he got here.

We have a team of bean poles who get moved around like furniture. Wieskamp and Bohannon both have had Liesti-puff articles about how many hours they put in shooting by themselves. Why can’t that time be spent in the weight room or on the track? Wisconsin posts twitter photos of their team looking like shredded football players...MSU, Michigan, Illinois, you name it, teams that have success in the Big Ten are built on guys who develop their bodies, not playing HORSE with their girlfriends.

Either way, Fran’s potential (which I believe is real) won’t be realized until he can get guys willing to be physical, and most importantly, more than five of them so they can substitute without a Till or Ash being forced in the game. He likes to recruit skinny shooters because his style of ball forgoes defense for perimeter shooting. That doesn’t work in big boy land anymore like it did in the 90s.

It used to be a thing, that basketball coaches didn't want their players to get big lifting weights. Most coaches have seemed to reverse their thoughts on that but Fran has not.

Fran did recruit a team ready to last... they lost Cook to the NBA, Moss transfer, Nunge and Bohannon injured for season. That is 4 starters! The depth on this team would have been solid.
We had a freshman guard and transfer guard come in and pick up slack. Also very surprised with Fredrick.
It will be very interesting to see who comes back next season.

Latest posts