**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

I've seen nothing special about Castillo so far. I think he is a less than average receiver and barely hits his weight at this level.

I understand what you're saying about being patient, but this long time Cubs fan has been patient for a long time through dozens of rebuilding projects.

He has only had 71 at bats in only 3 September call ups. Cubs need to see what they have in both Castillo and Clevenger. While Soto was showing improvements at the plate it is obvious he is not the same hitter he was his rookie season.

If Clevenger or Castillo do not pan out they can always resign Koyie Hill.

Cubs are missing a solid 3rd base. The rest of the in field is set. Need pitching and some out field bats.

According to Callis, Law, Badler, Goldstein, etc., the Cubs may have gotten that solid 3b piece in the return from the rangers - Villanueva. Another name to watch w/ regards to 3b is Jeimer Candelario - he's been killing the ball at Boise (although it is a small sample - 163 at bats). But he's got the attention of the guys at Baseball America, and in a very good way.

Biggest need, as with most other teams, is pitching. You can never have enough pitching. Cubs just don't have much to begin with right now. But they have some talent in the lower levels - Dillon Maples, Robert Whitenack to name a couple.

Disagree w/ the outfield bats - those are coming, probably by 2014 or 2015 (earlier for Jackson). Almora, Soler, Pin-Chieh Chen, Reggie Golden are all guys to keep tabs on, especially the first two. Keith Law has been to a few of the AZL games Almora and Soler have played in and has a mancrush on Soler. Both have been good, but he's said that Soler gets his bat through the zone quicker than anyone he's seen in a good while.

Last edited:
Jon Greenberg: The end of the Ryan Dempster was somewhat anticlimactic - ESPN Chicago

Here's a pretty good description of the cubs trade deadline story (fiasco)

You can't blame Demp, but he sure screwed the cubs. Lots of bad luck for the cubbies this go around. Also, Garza will not be a cub next season.

I was as ticked off at Dempster as anyone about the whole Atlanta thing, but the more I've thought about it I've calmed down some. He earned those rights, they weren't granted via no-trade in his contract. They were earned by him. My anger was more towards the possibility of getting Delgado as a return and not having it come to fruition.

In hindsight though, things probably worked out better for the Cubs this way. Rather than Delgado, they may have gotten a legit future 3b (should he keep developing and fulfill potential) in Villanueva. And for Maholm? All the Cubs got was the 2nd ranked pitcher in ATL's system before his TJ surgery in the spring in Vizcaino. Vizcaino is hurt and STILL ranked as the Cubs #3 org. prospect by Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com.

The three guys that the Cubs brought up from Iowa are retreads of the worst sort. I know they are in the rebuilding mode, but you have to wonder if they feel any responsibility to present a decent product to the fans the rest of 2012.

You make it sound like going to a Cubs game is expensive or something.

I like what the cubs did with what they had. I would have been much happier getting Delgado as he is MLB ready in 2013. However, you never know what you would get for Maholm if that deal goes through, so it all works out. I'm really excited about our 3B prospects, and my list doesn't include Vitters. I think he comes up to Chicago soon and we'll see what he has, could be good trade bait in the near future. or could fill the void until Candelario, Villanueva, or Baez make it up to that level.

I am so excited that the Cubs finally recalled Chris Volstad from Iowa today. It will be fun to see if he can improve on that ERA that is almost 8.00.

I am so excited that the Cubs finally recalled Chris Volstad from Iowa today. It will be fun to see if he can improve on that ERA that is almost 8.00.
I would have traded Volstad for that broken Gatorade dispenser Big Z took that bat too a couple years back.

I would have traded Volstad for that broken Gatorade dispenser Big Z took that bat too a couple years back.
I would have traded Volstad for Mel Rojas ...

Mel-Rojas.jpg

I like what the cubs did with what they had. I would have been much happier getting Delgado as he is MLB ready in 2013. However, you never know what you would get for Maholm if that deal goes through, so it all works out. I'm really excited about our 3B prospects, and my list doesn't include Vitters. I think he comes up to Chicago soon and we'll see what he has, could be good trade bait in the near future. or could fill the void until Candelario, Villanueva, or Baez make it up to that level.

Baseball Today - ESPN

Keith law and Kevin Goldstein (ESPN's top two prospect experts) talk about Baez (glowingly I might add) starting at about the 26 minute mark.

For those that can't view, it's looking more likely that he will stay at SS

Baseball Today - ESPN

Keith law and Kevin Goldstein (ESPN's top two prospect experts) talk about Baez (glowingly I might add) starting at about the 26 minute mark.

For those that can't view, it's looking more likely that he will stay at SS

Good find! They also talked about Brett Jackson and I agree with their assessment. I know a lot of people want to see him get called up but when he is striking out as much as he has at AAA I don't think he deserves a shot yet.