**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Can anyone explain to me what a "protected" first round pick is? Protected from what?

Maybe from previous trades? I don't know. If they were outside the 10 the trade would go through but since they are inside it the other team gets a compensatory pick?

Figure this out, dude.

Can anyone explain to me what a "protected" first round pick is? Protected from what?

It used to be that if you signed a "Type A" free agent you had to give up your first round pick but top 10 picks were protected. I thought they did away with the type A free agent tag though.:confused:

Delgado would be a great trade for the cubs. And I think we Demp back in chicago next year with a freindly deal for the cubbies.

And I think we Demp back in chicago next year with a freindly deal for the cubbies.

I know the Cubs have a history of making some absolutely horrible trades(thanks for Lou Brock) but jeeeeeeeez. The guy loves Chicago, leads the league in ERA, and is a fan favorite. Theo better have gotten some good prospects or he could be run out of town for this one.

I know the Cubs have a history of making some absolutely horrible trades(thanks for Lou Brock) but jeeeeeeeez. The guy loves Chicago, leads the league in ERA, and is a fan favorite. Theo better have gotten some good prospects or he could be run out of town for this one.

I'm not sure if you're serious. We are talking about a 35 year old pitcher who is in the final year of his deal, who may come back to Chicago next year. The Cubs have 0 chance of winning anything, so why again wouldn't they trade him? I'm certain the majority of fans understand this.

Laughed so hard I almost peed. Dempster was very good this year, but everyone knows he needed to be traded for prospect upgrade. Now, he had a no trade clause so he didn't have to go anywhere. My personal thought is that he will re sign with the cubs (80% chance) on "friendly" deal for the cubs after the season. Even if he doesn't Theo will not be run out of town because he traded a guy who would only pitch for the cubs for 2 more months, and then, either resign or move on. The odds of him re signing with the cubs are the same wether he was traded or not. This was agreat move by Theo.

Also, looking like Garza to dodgers is more likely now. A swap for Zach Lee and others. I like it. It may also press Detroit into offering Turner or Castellanos, or a combo of one with Crosby/Oliver would work as well.

Also, looking like Garza to dodgers is more likely now. A swap for Zach Lee and others. I like it. It may also press Detroit into offering Turner or Castellanos, or a combo of one with Crosby/Oliver would work as well.

Any updates on the Garza cramping issue? I saw he will probably avoid the DL, but I'm hoping this issue doesn't scare any prospective suitors away.

Any updates on the Garza cramping issue? I saw he will probably avoid the DL, but I'm hoping this issue doesn't scare any prospective suitors away.

I don't think so. Even if he has to skip a start for the team he is traded too he has value. That's just my opinion if he is actually ok. Also, I think that Garza will not be traded alone, either to Dodgers with LaHair, maybe, or detroit with Barney to increase the return.

David Kaplan is saying the deal is not done yet. According to Delgado's agent, he has not been informed of any deal either. I'm sure they are just finalizing details, but it sounds like the story broke a little early.

I'm reading that Dempster has yet to give his approval to be traded to Atlanta. He has a full NTC.

Edit: Also, word out of Pittsburgh is that Dempster is in the Cubs' clubhouse in uniform for tonight's game.

I'm reading that Dempster has yet to give his approval to be traded to Atlanta. He has a full NTC.

Edit: Also, word out of Pittsburgh is that Dempster is in the Cubs' clubhouse in uniform for tonight's game.

Doesn't matter, Youkolis (sp?) was pulled off 3rd base when traded.

Not a bad trade for the Braves. Get a decent pitcher who could solidify the rotation a little bit. Only giving up Delgado who one of you mentioned was at the highest a #3 guy isn't too bad either. We have enough pitching depth that we could afford to give him for Dempster for the rest of this year.

It's also been said that the Braves think they have a good chance to sign Dempster to an extension as well. We'll see, I think he goes back to Chi though.