**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

That was a bomb by Sori!

I detest watching games called by the Sox announcers...It's always "us" and "we", "good guys", "bad guys"...and the worst home run call in baseball, IMO.

+100. Ken Harrelson is a doofus but he's got alot of enthusiasm for the Sox, I'll give him that.

Then there's the Rays' play-by-play guy... Ugh. It's like listening to paint dry.

So LaHair playing in rightfield a preview of things to come? He made a nice play in the first inning with the wind playing havoc on the ball. Rizzo can be called up on Saturday and not be a free agent until 2018.

I wasn't in the keep LaHair camp early in the year, but I'm on board now. Also, let Ian Stewart go. Is Valbuena the answer at 3B, no, but he's a heck of a lot more fun to watch that Stewart. Just release him. Excited to see Rizzo up, but would like to LaHair in LF. Got to think that Soriano can get traded with what he has done as a DH.

theres no way that stewart is just being let go. for one thing, we gave up a decent talent in DJL to get him. second, he just turned 27 (somehow).

Last edited:
That was a bomb by Sori!

I detest watching games called by the Sox announcers...It's always "us" and "we", "good guys", "bad guys"...and the worst home run call in baseball, IMO.

Ron Santo was by far the worst thing to listen to ever in regards to any sporting event.. you can't hate one and like the other.

theres no way that stewart is just being let go. for one thing, we gave up a decent talent in DJL to get him. second, he just turned 27 (somehow).

They gave up an average talent to get him and he hasn't panned out. Stewart is not the 3B of the future, near or far. Valbuena is out playing him. Stewart's wrist which they thought he was over is still bothering him and that's not why is producing. I don't care if he is 27 he's not in the plan, or should not be.

Ron Santo was by far the worst thing to listen to ever in regards to any sporting event.. you can't hate one and like the other.

Kind of a difference there. Santo had passion for the Cubs and came off as a diehard fan who just happened to be announcing.

Hawk has passion for the Sox and comes off as an arrogant POS.

They gave up an average talent to get him and he hasn't panned out. Stewart is not the 3B of the future, near or far. Valbuena is out playing him. Stewart's wrist which they thought he was over is still bothering him and that's not why is producing. I don't care if he is 27 he's not in the plan, or should not be.

Neither Stewart or Valbuena is the 3B of the future, they just need to hold down the position for a couple of years. I think that position will end up with Baez or Vitters in a couple of years.

I think we will see Vitters up during the September call ups and he may be given a chance to win the job out of spring training next year. But if not I am real excited about Baez as he is already with Peoria and is showing power. But both of them are young (Vitters is 22 and Baez only 19) so there is no need to rush either of them.

Last edited:
Neither Stewart or Valbuena is the 3B of the future, they just need to hold down the position for a couple of years. I think that position will end up with Baez or Vitters in a couple of years.

I agree with you completely, but why waste time with Stewart. Give Valbuena a shot. So far he is doing well, I know it has been like 3 games, but give him a shot at least.

Just an FYI but the change of scenery has helped Colvin more than Stewart

STATS

Hitting .296 this year with 7 HR,3 3B, and 20 RBI

And subpar range and a subpar arm for that position.

But like that article said his numbers are attractive to a small market team since it will be awhile before he is a free agent.

Middle infield is one area the Cubs are looking real good down in the minors. If you do not trade Barney it will create a log jam in a spot the Cubs may get better numbers out of down the road.

But like that article said his numbers are attractive to a small market team since it will be awhile before he is a free agent.

Middle infield is one area the Cubs are looking real good down in the minors. If you do not trade Barney it will create a log jam in a spot the Cubs may get better numbers out of down the road.
Agreed, I think Lake is the 2B of the future, and Baez will end up at 3B or SS. If you can get a good arm in return for Barney, probably not a top of the rotation guy, but a good reliever or mid/bottom rotation type of prospect I think you pull the trigger. Not sure how soon Lake will be ready for the big leagues though.

Agreed, I think Lake is the 2B of the future, and Baez will end up at 3B or SS. If you can get a good arm in return for Barney, probably not a top of the rotation guy, but a good reliever or mid/bottom rotation type of prospect I think you pull the trigger. Not sure how soon Lake will be ready for the big leagues though.

If Lake does not cut down on his strike outs he may never be ready for the big leagues. If you are going to strike out 100 to 130 times in only 450 at bats you better have some serious power numbers.

Don't give up just yet on Vitters either. He has came a long ways and is still young yet.

If Lake does not cut down on his strike outs he may never be ready for the big leagues. If you are going to strike out 100 to 130 times in only 450 at bats you better have some serious power numbers.

Don't give up just yet on Vitters either. He has came a long ways and is still young yet.

Word on Vitter is that his bat is ok, not what everyone expected so far, but like you said he is young. However his defense is not progressing and what Theo and Co, want/need is solid D everywhere, so I am not getting my hopes up, but have not let them go completely yet either.

And that is my biggest fear with lake is that he never learns the patience. But like we have said with Castro he is young and Lake has the benefit of learning in the minors. Hope he figures it out because I like his potential, very Castroesque.

I've gone on record as being a Barney fan and I respectfully disagree about his lack of range and arm strength. I would have no problem with him at short or second. Plus, he is a heady ball player, and you can't have enough of those on your team.

Latest posts