Nunge Rumor

He may turn out to be a Matt Bullard/J R Koch/Jarrod Uthoff type player but this year he was a true freshman. He could easily have been jerked between Riley Till and Charlie Rose with the defense he played.

I’m not sure how a narrative can be used against one player on a team that finished 250+ in the defensive rankings. Lazy analysis.

I would love to see Artis Gilmore type, playing at Iowa. He averages 22.7 rebounds per game. Now that's what I call "Wild Bull Pumfus game." I would love it, if Fran gets an animal like him.
giphy.gif

I’m not sure how a narrative can be used against one player on a team that finished 250+ in the defensive rankings. Lazy analysis.
If my narrative is lazy, then I'll own it. I respect your opinion. 250+ is what it is-- a (lack of) team effort. Learning Division 1 defense on the fly is not easy. And when your confidence goes, particularly as a true freshman, a ripple effect can start and affect other areas of your game.

Some posts in this thread hinted that Nunge may have been confused, even discouraged by his role. Last I saw, he wasn't Christian Laettner. Once again, he was a true freshman. On a team with a logjam at several frontcourt positions. His growth curve in practice probably came in cycles. And Fran was trying to fit him with everyone else.

Again much respect. If I appeared to single out one player for a season long team effort of maladies then I apologize.

Fran probably should send a couple of his assistant coaches to defense clinics before next year. It probably wouldn't look very good if he went himself.

Fran probably should send a couple of his assistant coaches to defense clinics before next year. It probably wouldn't look very good if he went himself.

No need. I have a friend that anonymously sent a copy of this DVD to Fran in the mail. It should have arrived by now. All is well.
yhst-26992753624492_2271_42843314

If any of the players are leaving there should be some news by next week or the week after. I would personally love to see everyone return. The experience they got this year with another year of maturity should serve them well. They did play poorly throughout the year, but they also had different injuries. The team if intact is loaded with potential.

If any of the players are leaving there should be some news by next week or the week after. I would personally love to see everyone return. The experience they got this year with another year of maturity should serve them well. They did play poorly throughout the year, but they also had different injuries. The team if intact is loaded with potential.
It seems like forever since we had an upperclassman dominated team. And don't ever underestimate what that means in the BIG. I've been watching it for forty years. They had enough bodies to play through injuries so I wouldn't go too far down that road. If anything it gave young players even more experience. The last sentence of your post sums it up so precisely. Now it's up to two things; certain players accepting diminished roles and coaching. Some on this board may question if the second one is possible and they are welcome to see it that way.

If Fran keeps talking about coaching defense...the entire team might transfer.

Agree with prior poster...we don't need to be concerned about what is written here...the younger generation uses other electronic means to communicate and hide...adept at such things...hiding... from older people, work, responsibility, accountability, debt...

if any bigs intend to transfer, i think they might wait to see what Cook does. It's all about minutes. guards could leave at any time.

On a side note (aren't 80% of posts as of late)...........looked like tOSU and SDSt both employed the "Iowa Defense" in this afternoon's Tourney game. Could have sworn that was Iowa out there defending the 3 on both ends of the court. 71 total three point attempts........most uncontested.

I call it the "gimme gimme gimmie" generation. Why wait for a home cooked meal at 5:30 prepared by a mother who's worked her ass of all day when you can whip up a plate of pizza rolls in the microwave in three minutes. You don't have to wait for the six o clock news or the morning paper to find that baseball score when you can follow it live on the internet.
Dude, I remember my great grandad telling stories about his dad talking about his horse Buddy and the horseless carriage — “no place is that important for anyone to go that fast”. And when he got on his rant of gas street lights? Wowsers! “No one needs to be anywhere but home after dark. Lighting up streets just leaves too much for mischief.”
;)

Dude, I remember my great grandad telling stories about his dad talking about his horse Buddy and the horseless carriage — “no place is that important for anyone to go that fast”. And when he got on his rant of gas street lights? Wowsers! “No one needs to be anywhere but home after dark. Lighting up streets just leaves too much for mischief.”
;)
Never thought I would get to the "Get off my lawn" stage so quickly. When you're kids start graduating from high school you get old fast. You don't mention your age. If it's under thirty you have a tremendous advantage that we didn't. When we were lectured by elders we had to trust their word. All you have to do today is go to Google or Wikipedia and you can usually catch a lie or line of bull pretty quickly. If I post about Iowa athletics in the eighties or nineties I make darn sure my facts are straight. Funny post to start my day! Take care my friend.

This team is devoid of talent, and that is why we were piss poor this year. We have 1 player who would start on the vast majority of NCAA tournament quality teams in Cook. We have 1 player who would be a big contributor on a NCAA team in Jordan, and we have 1 player in Garza who would get quality minutes most likely as a backup (at least as a Fr.) on most NCAA teams.

The rest of the players would get 5 MPG or less on most NCAA quality teams. That is NOT a roster loaded with potential.

This team is devoid of talent, and that is why we were piss poor this year. We have 1 player who would start on the vast majority of NCAA tournament quality teams in Cook. We have 1 player who would be a big contributor on a NCAA team in Jordan, and we have 1 player in Garza who would get quality minutes most likely as a backup (at least as a Fr.) on most NCAA teams.

The rest of the players would get 5 MPG or less on most NCAA quality teams. That is NOT a roster loaded with potential.

Nunge has the potential to be a Big contributor on an NCAA team. Still that's only 4 players, so your point still stands.

Too many players were playing too many minutes partially because there were no upperclassman to play those minutes. If you want to argue that the playing time and substitution patterns were poorly handled by coaching then you have an argument for this year and next. But I will stand by the potential of more than three of these players with another year of experience and what others in the conference lose.

Never thought I would get to the "Get off my lawn" stage so quickly. When you're kids start graduating from high school you get old fast. You don't mention your age. If it's under thirty you have a tremendous advantage that we didn't. When we were lectured by elders we had to trust their word. All you have to do today is go to Google or Wikipedia and you can usually catch a lie or line of bull pretty quickly. If I post about Iowa athletics in the eighties or nineties I make darn sure my facts are straight. Funny post to start my day! Take care my friend.
World sure has changed a lot. And pretty darn fast.

Nunge has the potential to be a Big contributor on an NCAA team. Still that's only 4 players, so your point still stands.

Nunge has some nice potential, but he is another 2 years from really getting there. He will be a nice piece as a Jr. and Sr, but I he has alot of work to do yet. Moss has some potential as well, but once again, he better start realizing some of it. Yet both of them, right now simply aren't good enough to play much on a good NCAA team.

Plus Nunge ultimate development might be determined by Fran. If he continues to think Nunge is a 3, just because he can shoot the 3 point shot, Nunge will develop even slower. He simply can't match up the other 3's at the B1G level, he isn't anywhere near quick enough to do so.