Nunge Rumor

So..we're talkin' ... Ellingson, Dailey, and possibly Cook? Is that his 2-3?

Speculate

Id speculate Ellingson 100%. Dailey had a decent enough season where he could sell high and contribute for a mid major. I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall with Wieskamp coming in and Connor being hopefully healthy.

I wonder also about Wagner. I'm not sure where he would go, but his role doesn't seem to exist on this team.

i should maybe clarify that I like and probably prefer Nunge at the 4, but as long as Tyler Cook exists, he's not going to play many minutes there. Nunge can have an immediate impact as a 3 on this roster if he can adjust to the position.

Nunge this year was like Moss last year. He started a lot, you could see the talent was there, but there were too many mistakes and Fran didn't trust him when it mattered.
I still think Cook is more of a natural 5 man than a 4. Now I wouldn’t change the starting lineup but I still think Nunge can play his minutes at the 4 with Cook still here.

4. Cook 10 / Nunge 20+ / Other 10
5. Garza 25 / Cook 15

Id speculate Ellingson 100%. Dailey had a decent enough season where he could sell high and contribute for a mid major. I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall with Wieskamp coming in and Connor being hopefully healthy.

I wonder also about Wagner. I'm not sure where he would go, but his role doesn't seem to exist on this team.

My question is what's the difference between Ellingson not celebrating senior day, and Jones who did celebrate senior day? Was it as simple as Jones was 100% certain he was leaving and Ellingson wasn't ?

I still think Cook is more of a natural 5 man than a 4. Now I wouldn’t change the starting lineup but I still think Nunge can play his minutes at the 4 with Cook still here.

5. Garza 25 / Cook 15

I think we will be best next year if Cook, Garza, and Nunge play most of the minutes, with Kriener averaging around 8 per game. Then the 1,2, and 3 are manned by Connor, Bohannon, Wieskamp, Moss, Dailey, and Baer, with the worst of the 6 only getting around 8 per game. That's pretty much 8 guys getting most of the minutes with 2 guys getting a handful of minutes. Keep in mind, those 2 guys won't get 8 every game. They will have some games where they play more and some games where they hardly play at all.

5. Garza 25 / Cook 15

I think Garza, Cook, Kriener and Nunge could score a helluva lot of points. Kriener really showed me something when he got healthy. He's a backup, but he's a damn good backup to Garza; at least, he could be. Nunge gets minutes at 3/4. Heck, at almost 7'0" you could sneak a few minutes at the 5 in certain situations.

At least one big man should have redshirted this year. And if all hands on deck return at least one should redshirt next year. The question, of course, is who. You don't want to make a player sit a year and find himself still lost in the shuffle when he returns.

The best use of a natural (non medical or transfer) redshirt I ever saw is still clearly Brad Lohaus. He sat the 1984-85 season when Stokes and Michael Payne were seniors and had two years eligibility left. He still struggled in his fourth year (Raveling's last) and had pretty much been passed up by (younger) Al Lorenzen and Ed Horton. Tom Davis then came in and saved his career, not to mention provided him a ten year NBA career. Les Jepsen was also a good use of a redshirt, but that wasn't unusual for a true freshman, especially then. For Lohaus to do that in mid career while healthy took foresight-and guts.

Last edited:
I think we will be best next year if Cook, Garza, and Nunge play most of the minutes, with Kriener averaging around 8 per game. Then the 1,2, and 3 are manned by Connor, Bohannon, Wieskamp, Moss, Dailey, and Baer, with the worst of the 6 only getting around 8 per game. That's pretty much 8 guys getting most of the minutes with 2 guys getting a handful of minutes. Keep in mind, those 2 guys won't get 8 every game. They will have some games where they play more and some games where they hardly play at all.
I’m fine with that, although I would probably make an argument to play Baer at the 4 as opposed to Kriener. Baer spaces the floor to give room for Cook and Garza to operate freely.

I’m fine with that, although I would probably make an argument to play Baer at the 4 as opposed to Kriener. Baer spaces the floor to give room for Cook and Garza to operate freely.

That probably does make us better by shortening the rotation even more.

At least one big man should have redshirted this year. And if all hands on deck return at least one should redshirt next year. The question, of course, is who. You don't want to make a player sit a year and find himself still lost in the shuffle when he returns.

The best use of a natural (non medical or transfer) redshirt I ever saw is still clearly Brad Lohaus. He sat the 1984-85 season when Stokes and Michael Payne were seniors and had two years eligibility left. He still struggled in his fourth year (Raveling's last) and had pretty much been passed up by (younger) Al Lorenzen and Ed Horton. Tom Davis then came in and saved his career, not to mention provided him a ten year NBA career. Les Jepsen was also a good use of a redshirt, but that wasn't unusual for a true freshman, especially then. For Lohaus to do that in mid career while healthy took foresight-and guts.

Lute Olson talked to Davis about how he thought Lohause should get a good look.

Lute Olson talked to Davis about how he thought Lohause should get a good look.
Lute may have talked Tom into taking the job. He was all set to replace retiring legend Guy Lewis at Houston.

Lute, of course, recruited Brad to Iowa. Ironically, Brad grew up in Arizona. Brad played for Lute, George and Tom.

Lute may have talked Tom into taking the job. He was all set to replace retiring legend Guy Lewis at Houston.

Lute, of course, recruited Brad to Iowa. Ironically, Brad grew up in Arizona. Brad played for Lute, George and Tom.

Brad didn't play much for George. Lute asked Tom to take Brad off the shelf. The wording was something like, we can't really believe he can't be used...or something like that. Lohaus had contacted Lute about transferring...I think.

Brad didn't play much for George. Lute asked Tom to take Brad off the shelf. The wording was something like, we can't really believe he can't be used...or something like that. Lohaus had contacted Lute about transferring...I think.
Davis started his inaugural 18-0 run by winning the Great Alaskan Shootout. They defeated Northeastern in the title game but I think Jim Calhoun had just taken the U Conn job. Lohaus was named to the all tournament team and never looked back.

Nunge played zero defense though...that was his main problem. For an entire team that played horrible defense, Nunge was king. The last time we really saw him on the season he got embarrassed by Mo Wagner.

I think the 3 is where Nunge has the best chance of sticking because Fran loves himself some Pemsl and you know Garza/Cook are gonna get 30 minutes each next year.

I disagree. Nunge played very poor defense when he was guarding a 3. He simply isn't as quick as any 3 in the Big 10 (or any P5 conference, really). But at the 4 he did rather well. He was outmuscled against some, but generally held his own when guarding the 4.

I would be surprised if any of the current bigs redshirts. The concept of RS you are referring to is long gone. Kids these days want to play now and redshirting is seen as losing leverage. The majority of the time you see it now is injury or academic concerns.

Great example is Dailey who refused to RS per Fran’s request the year before. Dailey now can move on from this program if he chooses. You RS and you are stuck unless you qualify for grad transfer.

I heard from a reliable source Pemsl is staying.
I'm half surprised his name was tossed around as someone that might be leaving... I never thought he would be one to leave. Iowa kid just happy to be there. Doesn't care if he's starting or coming off the bench. I think Fran loves him and plays him more than he should because of it. I'd like him to be around. I just don't think he's a 20 min plus a game guy. I think he's really close to his ceiling as a player and he just is who he is.

I'm half surprised his name was tossed around as someone that might be leaving... I never thought he would be one to leave. Iowa kid just happy to be there. Doesn't care if he's starting or coming off the bench. I think Fran loves him and plays him more than he should because of it. I'd like him to be around. I just don't think he's a 20 min plus a game guy. I think he's really close to his ceiling as a player and he just is who he is.
It hasn’t been mentioned at all. My guess is that is just the troll attempting to grab some credibility to set up a future troll.