No tyler cook

No. A poster can disagree with me. And he or she may be right. And if he or she was, I'll admit it.

With you, you've been shown your point is wrong through statistics. You've been shown that his turnovers are very similar to other bigs in the league and around the country. You've been shown that his shooting percentage is the best on the team, yet you insist he must shoot less.

He shot four times last night and Iowa's offense looked as bad as it has all season, particularly at home. You got what you wanted. And your excuse for it not working out now is that the "shooters" who should be taking the shots missed shots.

giphy.gif

I hate losing as much as anyone. It’s an awful feeling for the players and the fans. But it’s incredible to read things on here after a loss. This season has been the most enjoyable season of Iowa Basketball I can ever remember, yet people still find anything and everything to complain about. Good lord.

I mostly disagree with your comment that Cook is "close to unstoppable."

I have said before he is a very good athlete, best on the team, but that too much of him and not enough of the pure shooters taking the shots is detrimental to the team's success.

Someone who struggles to shoot a jump shot just doesn't fall into the unstoppable basket in my book.

I am not sure why he only had four shot attempts last night, do you know? I wasn't able to watch the second half.

Even top flight teams have bad shooting nights, and lose, that's why sporting predictions are difficult. I think Iowa has some good shooters.

And I don't understand why you have to use terms like Mr Naismith, Savant, etc. and post cartoons directed at posters.

I haven't directed anything like that towards you.

Because I'm joking around and needling you a bit. It's not personal and it's sports.

Feel free to post a silly gif directed at me. I can take it.

Because I'm joking around and needling you a bit. It's not personal and it's sports.

Feel free to post a silly gif directed at me. I can take it.
Serious question, why do you describe Cook as "close to unstoppable?"

Is that joking around? He has no jump shot.

And if he comes to help at the rim, his man gets the pass or the tip-in. Kreiner and Wieskamp were there disrupting the drive. It worked. He missed. How is Cook going to disrupt it more?

The problem in last night’s game wasn’t Cook.

It was bad shooting (some props to Mary) and bad passing (lotta props to Mary).
On the game winning tip he didn’t have a man . He didn’t put his body on anyone. As a matter of fact he didn’t do anything

Yeah, I noticed that too.

The play I noticed more was early in the first half. The ball ended up on the floor under Maryland's basket and Cook could have pounced on it but just stood there blankly staring at the play. Did anyone else notice that play?

Cook's an athletic talent. No denying that, but, he's not one to sacrifice his body hustling for the ball.
Is that the play that ended up with him hacking down on their center for a foul call?

Did you also watch Fernando push JoeW in the back (so Joe couldn't rebound the ball) before he tipped in the miss?
If there was a push it must not have been that obvious. I watched that replay a few times and didn’t see much contact . Be stronger and get the rebound. You won’t get that call at that point in the game . TC could have done some pushing of his own instead of stand their like a statue

Maybe some of you trolls, continually negative posters, experts at identifying all of the players and coaches worst attributes, refusal to celebrate a season that has far exceeded the expectations of most everyone, should stop whining when someone, Rob or whomever, tells you your nonsense is transparent. You are truly boring to the point where I do not even get annoyed with you anymore.

Maybe some of you trolls, continually negative posters, experts at identifying all of the players and coaches worst attributes, refusal to celebrate a season that has far exceeded the expectations of most everyone, should stop whining when someone, Rob or whomever, tells you your nonsense is transparent. You are truly boring to the point where I do not even get annoyed with you anymore.
Fran is a great offensive coach, defense, not so much.

Cook is a very athletic player, fundamentals/shooting not so much.

JB is a great shooter, defensive PG, not so much.

Moss can really be a hot and lethal shooter, at times, not so much.

It is how life is, everyone has strengths and weaknesses, you work on the weaknesses to become better. Good athletes do this daily, so they can become great.

BTW, if you aren't annoyed anymore why did you write a post sharing how annoyed you are?

Serious question, why do you describe Cook as "close to unstoppable?"

Is that joking around? He has no jump shot.

"Unstoppable" is a figure of speech and an exaggeration. In this case, it denotes that the individual is really good.

Again, I've made my points about Cook based on facts and have shown you his importance statistically because you can't see it with your own eyes.

But that's not enough for you. You're convinced that this team is better off with him being a garbage player, not having the offense run through him and instead letting shooters shoot. He bogs down the offense.

I can't make you understand how basketball works when you have a dominant player in the post that draws fouls and is the focus of the other teams' scouting reports; how it opens everything up when you run the offense through him.

Go back and look at the Rutgers film of Iowa's first two possessions. After the ball was delivered to him in the post and he was doubled, he kicked it out to open shooters behind the arc who missed wide open threes. So, he didn't get assists, which was another thing you've harped on recently.

It's great when you're the Golden State Warriors and can splash shot after shot from the outside from some of the greatest shooters to every play the game. The problem is that it's the exception, not the rule.

Working an offense through a strong post presence is an old and proven concept. And the best player on this team happens to be a post player. That's why you run the offense through him. You don't look at it and say he can't do this or he can't do that. You go with your best attack option.

It is how life is, everyone has strengths and weaknesses, you work on the weaknesses to become better. Good athletes do this daily, so they can become great.

And opponents know a team's strengths and weaknesses, and try to take away or limit strengths. That's what makes the game very interesting. Maryland did a slightly better job of taking away some of Iowa's strengths (guards' shooting and Cook/Garza inside) than Iowa did taking away what Maryland did best (quickness advantage outside/Fernando size/strength). If the two teams play again, it should be fun. :)

Maybe he was Fran was listening to the geniuses on here who feel like Cook bogs down the offense and Iowa needs the shooters to shoot. You know, let Cook clean up the scraps from when the shooters might miss a shot.

I, for one, am glad that he came to his senses. Although, he did say last night that his team didn't take advantage of the double bonus it was in for the final 10 minutes of the second half.

Weird. I mean, Cook got four shots and managed to get Jalen Smith in foul trouble.

Shooters gotta shoot, Dr. Naismith.

the issue i had with Cook earlier this season was that he was trying to go end-to-end 1 on 5 too many times, dribbling off his foot, charging or throwing the ball away and then we would take some ill-advised jumpers. i wanted Cook to be playing on the low block along with Garza and feed them both. iowa is best when both cook and garza are scoring down low and playing inside out.

"Unstoppable" is a figure of speech and an exaggeration. In this case, it denotes that the individual is really good.

Again, I've made my points about Cook based on facts and have shown you his importance statistically because you can't see it with your own eyes.

But that's not enough for you. You're convinced that this team is better off with him being a garbage player, not having the offense run through him and instead letting shooters shoot. He bogs down the offense.

I can't make you understand how basketball works when you have a dominant player in the post that draws fouls and is the focus of the other teams' scouting reports; how it opens everything up when you run the offense through him.

Go back and look at the Rutgers film of Iowa's first two possessions. After the ball was delivered to him in the post and he was doubled, he kicked it out to open shooters behind the arc who missed wide open threes. So, he didn't get assists, which was another thing you've harped on recently.

It's great when you're the Golden State Warriors and can splash shot after shot from the outside from some of the greatest shooters to every play the game. The problem is that it's the exception, not the rule.

Working an offense through a strong post presence is an old and proven concept. And the best player on this team happens to be a post player. That's why you run the offense through him. You don't look at it and say he can't do this or he can't do that. You go with your best attack option.
Ok, you were exaggerating when making your case for Cook. Got it, I agree. That was easy enough.

I wouldn't refer to him as a dominant basketball player either. Dominant players have the ability to shoot the basketball outside of 3 feet.

I don't think he is a "garbage player" either, but getting some easy "garbage shots" would be a strength of his but that isn't much of a strength at this point in time, he stands around too much, either isn't interested in boxing out or doesn't understand how important it is. This is often typical of someone like him, who is an outstanding athlete. He tends to rely upon his physical talents, rather than maneuvering his way into positions of strength. This is similar to offensive and defensive linemen. Those who have a background in high level wrestling have the skill of knowing how to gain leverage and positioning and don't merely rely upon brute force of physical talent. The same is true of dominant post players. Post play is about gaining leverage, position, advantage, not jumping.

I am aware a player doesn't get "an assist" if the shooter who he passes to misses the shot, but that is true for every player, not just Cook.

Yes, I agree, working the ball through a post player is a good move, my point was, again, when it becomes "too much" Cook it bogs down the offense and lessens Iowa's chance to win games. This is also tried and true coaching.

You continue to talk about the most recent game and how Iowa "got it to the shooters too much" and how it "didn't work." Perhaps so, but it is only one game. In the world of averages, it was a terrible night of shooting for shooters who are proven to be talented shooters. That happens in sports. Good shooting teams lose, even Golden State.

Cook is an outstanding talent, but is below average in the fundamentals of BB, and is far below average in his shooting abilities. He needs some "tuning" to reach his ceiling, a coaching staff who is competent, a coaching staff that will demand fundamentals, but in the end, how much better Cook can be is up to him. I hope he becomes a well-rounded beast for Iowa, and if not Iowa, for an NBA team.

I would like to see Cook dominate some games. Perhaps he will now that the most important part of the season is approaching. Get to the Big Dance, see what happens. I am hopeful, for him and for the team.

Cook is still a diamond in the rough, with a high ceiling, if he is polished up he will shine brightly.

Let's simplify the discussion. And I don't want you qualifying or explaining your answer. You've already explained why you don't think Cook should have the offense run through him. If you go into some diatribe explaining your answer, I'm done.

What option should Cook be in this offense, meaning in who's hands would you rather see the ball? Just give me the players' names. That's it.

RevKev basically wants Cook to be a player who if he were as good as RevKev wants him to be would probably be in the NBA and if in college would not be at a place like Iowa. Cook is the leading scorer on the team. The offense should run through him. I don't know why that is so hard to understand for some.

Latest posts