No tyler cook

Damn it's but a game.

Yes, could nitpick that game but I think it was a pretty good effort from both coaching and the players. Nothing glaring for me to complain about although there are other opinions here!

Yes would've been nice to have this player or that player to have a better night to push us over the edge for the W. If so this would have been an entirely different discussion.

I saw it as a strange night when shots wouldn't go down, even when not covered so tight, and it got tighter. The first half was real bad for accuracy, wow. Ace free throw shooters missing free throws was astounding.

We played great D imo, executed pretty well and just could not put down the shots. We did Maryland a favor, and that is just how the ball bounced. Hungry guys who hate that feeling and are starting to get used to winning will be fine going forward.

I even liked how Coach (Count Chockula I call him) behaved. He might just be growing up!

Damn it's but a game.

Yes, could nitpick that game but I think it was a pretty good effort from both coaching and the players. Nothing glaring for me to complain about although there are other opinions here!

Yes would've been nice to have this player or that player to have a better night to push us over the edge for the W. If so this would have been an entirely different discussion.

I saw it as a strange night when shots wouldn't go down, even when not covered so tight, and it got tighter. The first half was real bad for accuracy, wow. Ace free throw shooters missing free throws was astounding.

We played great D imo, executed pretty well and just could not put down the shots. We did Maryland a favor, and that is just how the ball bounced. Hungry guys who hate that feeling and are starting to get used to winning will be fine going forward.

I even liked how Coach (Count Chockula I call him) behaved. He might just be growing up!
You are a pretty decent team when you have one of your worst shooting nights up and down the lineup and end up losing only by one point.

Everybody needs to just chill out and accept that an occasional loss to a good team isn;t the end of the frickin' world.
1. Iowa had maybe the poorest shooting half that I can recall.
2. Iowa still had a legit shot at winning in spite of such horrific shooting in first half.
3. Keep in mind the other teams have some really good players too that are trying like hell to win...sometimes they do.
4. Losing by just one point to a solid team when we played so poorly, I think is the sign of a very good team that can have a special March if they play like they're capable of and catch a break or two.

Seems the voices of reason have squelched the uprising. Go back to your domiciles and try to live like civilized men.

Everybody needs to just chill out and accept that an occasional loss to a good team isn;t the end of the frickin' world.
1. Iowa had maybe the poorest shooting half that I can recall.
2. Iowa still had a legit shot at winning in spite of such horrific shooting in first half.
3. Keep in mind the other teams have some really good players too that are trying like hell to win...sometimes they do.
4. Losing by just one point to a solid team when we played so poorly, I think is the sign of a very good team that can have a special March if they play like they're capable of and catch a break or two.
Exactly the sky isn't falling. To me it was the 2 offensive rebounds we gave up their last 2 possessions that hurt the most. Get either one or both of those and we are winning the game at the free throw line. (most likely. Hell we missed the front ends of one and ones earlier in the game too so maybe not)

If there was a push it must not have been that obvious. I watched that replay a few times and didn’t see much contact . Be stronger and get the rebound. You won’t get that call at that point in the game . TC could have done some pushing of his own instead of stand their like a statue

In his defense (no pun intended), Cook was guarding Morsell (#11), who was drifting around the perimeter. It drew him far enough away from the basket to negate his rebounding and help. We had Kreiner guarding Fernandez, who got way out of position and couldn't recover when Cowan drove to the basket. With the personnel that Maryland had on the floor, we probably should have put in another guard in to defend Morsell, take out Kreiner and had Cook guard Fernandez. But they had substituted at the time out and we didn't get a chance to match personnel. I believe when Maryland called time out to set up their last play that Smith was in the game and guarded by Cook.

Cook - in the post

JB - long range

Wieskamp - mid range

End of game - JB

Get the team back in it - Moss

Try to draw a foul - Cook (if not in crunch time)

Try to draw a foul - Moss/JB (in the crunch time)

Cook is at the top of this list.

For all your situational response here, what you really need to say is one name: Cook. JB's long range works better when Cook is playing. Wieskamp's mid-range works better when Cook is playing. The end of game plays work better for JB when Cook is playing. When the team gets back in it with Moss, Cook is playing. Cook himself accounts for at least 8 fouls a game on the opponent's inside players. Trying to draw a foul is his strength. I wouldn't mind him on the line at crunch time - it means that we got what we wanted on offense... the ball went to Cook and he was fouled.

Apparently, you don't think much of Cook's game. We need to run our offense through him. It works OK with Garza when he is on, but in the past several games he hasn't been on. If in one game Cook led the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, blocks, didn't foul out, had no turnovers but missed a free throw, you'd criticize him for missing a free throw. And you aren't alone on this board in that respect.

I compare those like you to the sportswriters in the '50s and '60s. Wilt led the NBA in scoring and rebounding. The sportswriters criticized him saying he couldn't pass the ball. So Wilt goes out and leads the NBA in assists - that's right, a center leads the NBA in assists (he also led in scoring that year). The sportswriters criticized him because he didn't lead the NBA in rebounding (imagine that 23.8 rebounds per game doesn't lead the NBA). With people like that, there is no pleasing them.

For all your situational response here, what you really need to say is one name: Cook. JB's long range works better when Cook is playing. Wieskamp's mid-range works better when Cook is playing. The end of game plays work better for JB when Cook is playing. When the team gets back in it with Moss, Cook is playing. Cook himself accounts for at least 8 fouls a game on the opponent's inside players. Trying to draw a foul is his strength. I wouldn't mind him on the line at crunch time - it means that we got what we wanted on offense... the ball went to Cook and he was fouled.

Apparently, you don't think much of Cook's game. We need to run our offense through him. It works OK with Garza when he is on, but in the past several games he hasn't been on. If in one game Cook led the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, blocks, didn't foul out, had no turnovers but missed a free throw, you'd criticize him for missing a free throw. And you aren't alone on this board in that respect.

I compare those like you to the sportswriters in the '50s and '60s. Wilt led the NBA in scoring and rebounding. The sportswriters criticized him saying he couldn't pass the ball. So Wilt goes out and leads the NBA in assists - that's right, a center leads the NBA in assists (he also led in scoring that year). The sportswriters criticized him because he didn't lead the NBA in rebounding (imagine that 23.8 rebounds per game doesn't lead the NBA). With people like that, there is no pleasing them.
Wilt was a statistical dream but was most often critically judged for his lack of championships.

I think Cook is great to have, he shoots 54% But he is limited in some ways, like all players. I have shared many of these, don't need to do it again.

Too much Cook, too much Wilt can lead to under-performing team results.

Hey, I am on Cook's side, want him to do well, get to the NBA, be a star, after leading Iowa to the Final Four.

I would definitely not want him at the FT line at the end of close games.

If you watch a replay, he was pushed there by Fernandez... with a forearm shove.
Yea I know. If people want to say don't blame the refs, then that's fine. But it's kinda bs when those people blame the players when the players were actually doing what they were supposed to do. Dont say the players didnt box out when the one guy who tried to got fouled. Don't say a guy took the wrong shot when he drew a foul that wasn't called.

Now show the frame when Cowan missed the layup. At that time, Cook was about 12 feet behind the play because he was guarding the passing lane to his man. Fernandez was being guarded by Kreiner.
I don't want to break down all of those frames, because I think I can make my case. However, in the end, it is just my opinion. But, in that circumstance you have to do what is necessary to keep Fernando away from the board. I don't think Iowa did a good job of rotating or blocking out in that situation. Acutely, it cost them the game, but there were many, many other things that occurred in the 39:52 before that that also impacted the outcome. However, reliance on fundamentals is not a bad thing. When you can jump like these guys all can, sometimes dependence on that natural ability takes over.

Latest posts