No tyler cook

Cook also had an extremely lazy close out on a 3 to leave the guy wide open. Amazingly the guy missed, but the ball went right to the spot where Cook should have been had he decided to make any move at all towards the basket for a rebound instead of standing there in no man's land halfway out to the shooter. Two incredibly lazy plays all in one.

Baer also had an oddly weird close out where he could have prevented a shot attempt with any effort at all, but instead got there a little late and didn't even bother to throw a hand up. That play cost them 3 points and could have easily been prevented.

I also think Weiskamp got pulled from the game for lazy close outs.

If you miss a lot of open shots, you have a high percentage chance of losing. This holds true in grade school, high school, college, the NBA and the YMCA. And missing the front end of one and ones are the telltale sign of a team that will lose a close game.

This is where I'm at too. There were a handful of plays here and there that cost us on defense and rebounding, but 95% of the problem was shooters missing shots.

This is where I'm at too. There were a handful of plays here and there that cost us on defense and rebounding, but 95% of the problem was shooters missing shots.
I can’t agree with the 95% only because the unforced TOs were more than 5% of the problem IMO.

But at least Cook only shot four times and Iowa didn't run the offense through him.

That bogs things down. Iowa needs the shooters to shoot, even when the team is in the double bonus early in the second half.

So I guess drawing 8 fouls from the guys guarding him wasn't enough? And Fernando had 11 points - 7 of which came on free throws. We held him in check pretty much the whole game. We didn't lose this game because of Cook's bad play.

Our problems were on offense. As a team we shot 33% from the field. Garza 1-7, Wieskamp 0-5 and Bohannon 2-11 didn't help. Neither did Moss with 4-14. Cook was 3-4 (He also had only 1 turnover). When your starters shoot a combined 10-41 you know you're in trouble. I was amazed we shot so poorly and still had a shot at the end of the game.
I think why a lot of us fans are flustered over this game is because our O isn't usually our problem. We have so many guys that can put the ball in the basket that for all of our guys pretty much to lay an egg at the same time was just hard to believe. Like you I was pretty shocked we had a shot at the end. These guys were tryin to fight through it and D up. But our rebounding has got to get better at the defensive end. They had 2 huge offensive rebounds the last couple of possessions where if we'd have gotten either one of em….

But at least Cook only shot four times and Iowa didn't run the offense through him.

That bogs things down. Iowa needs the shooters to shoot, even when the team is in the double bonus early in the second half.
You've been practicing I see. That had a natural flow to it.

I think why a lot of us fans are flustered over this game is because our O isn't usually our problem. We have so many guys that can put the ball in the basket that for all of our guys pretty much to lay an egg at the same time was just hard to believe. Like you I was pretty shocked we had a shot at the end. These guys were tryin to fight through it and D up. But our rebounding has got to get better at the defensive end. They had 2 huge offensive rebounds the last couple of possessions where if we'd have gotten either one of em….

We've been taking all year how this team is fun because different players step up every night. Imagine what we would be saying if we could have closed that game out with no players stepping up. One more stop or one more score and I would have been fully convinced that this is a team of destiny. Beating a top 25 team when every player plays bad? When does that ever happen?

My sarcasm siren is red and flashing...

We've been taking all year how this team is fun because different players step up every night. Imagine what we would be saying if we could have closed that game out with no players stepping up. One more stop or one more score and I would have been fully convinced that this is a team of destiny. Beating a top 25 team when every player plays bad? When does that ever happen?
I was thinking the baton was going to be handed to Moss.

Exactly. Nobody had a good game to puff their chest out about. Not really. And we were right there against a pretty good ranked team. MD isn't MSU or Michigan but they aren't bad by any means. They should be counting their lucky stars....
That said we have to start playing better we haven't been running on all cylinders for few weeks now. We've been winning till now and it was easy to over look. We gotta flip that trend back the other way and hope this was the bottom of it.

Just for the record, I am not one of those who thinks he shoots too much, BUT he is pretty one-dimensional. IF HE ONLY HAD AN EVEN SHORT RANGE JUMP SHOT think how dangerous he would be. He was well defended last night (was that a freshman mostly?) and became very passive because his game is limited, and did Fernando affect him? TC really is more of a finesse player than physical presence IMO. Save the follow up dunks.

And Rob who is responsible for making sure the offense goes through him more often?

Now what about Garza...??

My point is, when your outside shooting is crap try getting it inside more. Cook was pretty invisible and Garza was -------??

Cook also had an extremely lazy close out on a 3 to leave the guy wide open. Amazingly the guy missed, but the ball went right to the spot where Cook should have been had he decided to make any move at all towards the basket for a rebound instead of standing there in no man's land halfway out to the shooter. Two incredibly lazy plays all in one.

Baer also had an oddly weird close out where he could have prevented a shot attempt with any effort at all, but instead got there a little late and didn't even bother to throw a hand up. That play cost them 3 points and could have easily been prevented.

I also think Weiskamp got pulled from the game for lazy close outs.
Wiescamp was also passing up shots. Fran spent a media timeout blistering the whole team for passing up shots.

He'd better blister them some more today and tomorrow. Our 2016 slide began when players started passing up open looks.

Moss puzzles me. When he's hot, he's one of the purest shooters I've seen in an Iowa uniform. Other teams figured that out this year, so Moss had a couple games where teams got up in him and shut him down. The coaches obviously worked with him on this, and 4 games ago or so Moss started catching the ball where he normally does, but then he started driving instead of looking to catch and shoot. He had a couple dud games doing this, then a couple great games, then last night. I thought Maryland's guard defense was subpar last night, and there were a number of times when Moss could have caught and shot, and instead of pulling the trigger caught and drove, then passed. I think it's in his head now that he needs to drive the ball more often than catch and shoot -- you can almost see him thinking for a split second every time he catches the ball on the perimeter. He's made some good shots driving into the lane, but that's not his strength and where he can do the most damage. I'd rather Fran run some sets to get him open looks on the perimeter where he knows he can just catch and shoot, rather than have to think every time after he catches the ball. We need him to be a 10-15 pt consistent scorer every night, and he certainly has the talent to produce that.

If Cook is unstoppable the coach would be a total fool to allow anyone other than Cook to take a shot. The others can pass, set picks, and rebound. Iowa 110-Maryland 52

If Cook is unstoppable the coach would be a total fool to allow anyone other than Cook to take a shot. The others can pass, set picks, and rebound. Iowa 110-Maryland 52

Nope. Offense runs better when Cook just plays his role. Putbacks and wide open dunks. Don't run the offense through him. Bogs things down. You want the shooters to shoot, like 16 three-pointers in the second half. No need to take advantage of the double bonus. Let the shooters shoot.

Nope. Offense runs better when Cook just plays his role. Putbacks and wide open dunks. Don't run the offense through him. Bogs things down. You want the shooters to shoot, like 16 three-pointers in the second half. No need to take advantage of the double bonus. Let the shooters shoot.
Your point? You are the one who said Cook was unstoppable, correct? Iowa's shooters didn't make open looks, it happens. When they make their average share Iowa is very good, and Cook has better scoring opportunities. I don't think Cook is unstoppable. You do, fine.

200w.webp

Latest posts