NO MORE WEGHER THREADS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NO MORE WEGHER THREADS

as long as someone starts a thread to let us know exactly what is going down, then i will be happy. those threads were getting ridiculous

When we have an official statement then it will be discussed. Aspects prior to that or aspects outside of that, if something comes out, will not take place here

Let us know what is going down??? If you mean his playing status, then that thread will likely include a link to a statement from KF. I hope you wouldn't feel entitled to info on anything beyond that.

that's exactly what i meant. i don't really care about his personal life as long as he is happy and making the choices that benefit him the most.

i like #3 in an iowa jersey and would miss not seeing it on saturdays

I wish it worked that way. Yesterday I watched several posters beating around the bush, just trying to get the ball rolling on it. I dont like making blanket edicts like this but some folks will not be able to help themselves. This isn't my first rodeo

Fair enough.

Enough. As usual a few people cross the line. No more Wegher threads or discussions until there is any official comment from Iowa.

People who wish to go against this request will he banned with no quarter

Interesting.

The owner/moderator of this site is a journalist/reporter. Many folks come to this site for Hawkeye news - often as the site of first resort. The rumors-that-shall-not-be-mentioned are a significant story, for better or worse. But since this site and the journalists behind it cannot report on the story at this point (which, in light of the dearth of facts, is practicing responsible journalism), nothing more on this topic is allowed to be said or read by the folks that come to this site for Hawkeye news?

Of course some folks take it too far (and their comments speak for themselves), but why not just shut these people down?

I'd be all over this story if I had the good fortune to report on all things UI for a living.

Interesting.

The owner/moderator of this site is a journalist/reporter. Many folks come to this site for Hawkeye news - often as the site of first resort. The rumors-that-shall-not-be-mentioned are a significant story, for better or worse. But since this site and the journalists behind it cannot report on the story at this point (which, in light of the dearth of facts, is practicing responsible journalism), nothing more on this topic is allowed to be said or read by the folks that come to this site for Hawkeye news?

Of course some folks take it too far (and their comments speak for themselves), but why not just shut these people down?

I'd be all over this story if I had the good fortune to report on all things UI for a living.

Not much to report on since no one seems to know anything for certain. Unless you would be willing to use billdozer as a source. Rumors tend to spiral out of control and Jon is nipping this in the bud before it got even worse

Interesting.

Jon already explained this in another post. There were some people who were clearly out of line, but there were also a lot of people who were "beating around the bush" to stir things up. Too many people like that, apparently, and so he's just going to warn everybody, because it would be impossible to keep all the ones who might actually deserve the punishment in check. It's just easier to shut it all down until there are some actual facts to run with.

I have never referred to myself as a report or journalist and never will.

I have been acting in a consistent fashion for more than a decade. Not always the same especially early on, but the last several years to be sure.

Wegher has not been at practice and Iowa is not commenting. Kirk has said he is fine academically and Branding has not run afoul of the law.

Therefore I feel he is dealing with private matters. And since some folks cannot help themselves but to speculate and pass rumors of a very personal nature, this is the tack I have chosen and I am fine with it.

From a pure hardcore business perspective its unwise as it will cost me revenue from fewer pageviews. However, that factor does not come into play with regards to matters of privacy and respect.

If this is a policy that folks have a tough time with, there are other websites out there that are not taking a similar stance.

So I am sitting here in Seattle telling my brother about all this stuff. His question is, "Don't they have press there?" I said, "Yes, but Ferentz doesn't tell them anything." He said, "And they let him get away with that?"

My reponse, "Yeah, I guess we have press, but we don't really have journalists."

Sorry Jon, but telling us we can't talk about this stuff and just sitting around for an official comment is pretty weak. But I would expect your job is really more contingent on keeping the team and coaches happy rather than doing challenging investigative journalism. Just wish we had someone who had the guts to take on that role.

So I am sitting here in Seattle telling my brother about all this stuff. His question is, "Don't they have press there?" I said, "Yes, but Ferentz doesn't tell them anything." He said, "And they let him get away with that?"

My reponse, "Yeah, I guess we have press, but we don't really have journalists."

Sorry Jon, but telling us we can't talk about this stuff and just sitting around for an official comment is pretty weak. But I would expect your job is really more contingent on keeping the team and coaches happy rather than doing challenging investigative journalism. Just wish we had someone who had the guts to take on that role.

I don't expect everyone to agree and I am more than comfortable in this stance

I have never referred to myself as a report or journalist and never will.

I have been acting in a consistent fashion for more than a decade. Not always the same especially early on, but the last several years to be sure.

Wegher has not been at practice and Iowa is not commenting. Kirk has said he is fine academically and Branding has not run afoul of the law.

Therefore I feel he is dealing with private matters. And since some folks cannot help themselves but to speculate and pass rumors of a very personal nature, this is the tack I have chosen and I am fine with it.

From a pure hardcore business perspective its unwise as it will cost me revenue from fewer pageviews. However, that factor does not come into play with regards to matters of privacy and respect.

If this is a policy that folks have a tough time with, there are other websites out there that are not taking a similar stance.

If only we could have done this last night. I've never been so disgusted by other Hawk fans as I was last night.

:eek:, waiting for the ban hammer.....

Jon,

To get us off this topic, may I suggest a "Make up an unfounded rumor about another poster" thread. I would love to start some rumors about CAARHawk.

Kidding....sort of.

We're talking about a 19 year old kid missing football practice. Let's not act like this is some hard hitting news story and that Jon is hurting the public by not fully investigating. He's running a business here and I wouldn't expect him to spend his time trying to investigate what a teenager is doing in his personal life.

For the skimmers: marcmorehouse (marcmorehouse) on Twitter

He's not broken any laws, nor are his grades in trouble. It's a PERSONAL matter, and after the Tiger Woods saga and this, I've had enough of athletes' private lives. I thought I would never talk about that kind of stuff again after Tiger, but yet I found myself getting carried away in all the rumors yesterday. But after getting a good night's sleep and looking back at it, I was stupid for staying involved for as long as I did. It's none of our business, and we have no right to know anything about this until Brandon is ready to tell us, if he ever decides to tell us.

Last edited by a moderator:

He's not broken any laws, nor are his grades in trouble. It's a PERSONAL matter, and after the Tiger Woods saga and this, I've had enough of athletes' private lives. I thought I would never talk about that kind of stuff again after Tiger, but yet I found myself getting carried away in all the rumors yesterday. But after getting a good night's sleep and looking back at it, I was stupid for staying involved for as long as I did. It's none of our business, and we have no right to know anything about this until Brandon is ready to tell us, if he ever decides to tell us.
Good God.

In your first sentence you say Jon made the right call. And then your very next sentence is an example of why Jon had to make that call.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good God.

In your first sentence you say Jon made the right call. And then your very next sentence is an example of why Jon had to make that call.

That was kind of the point. I wasn't spreading the rumor, I specifically said that nobody knows anything. But that's the sort of thing that's made Jon's actions necessary, because it was coming from more than just a couple people.

Since when is spreading rumors journalism? Do you guys want answers or do you want an endless barrage of RUMORS, most of which either border on the ridiculous or are so far fetched they have to come straight from trolls? Get a freaking clue, and some patience for that matter. In a few days my guess is everyone will know as much as they need to about this "story," and it's not going to be nearly as sensational as some of you want it to be. Seems like everyone is just dying to go huddle around the water cooler and gossip about some 19 year old kid like a bunch of women at a hair parlor. It's going to get more pathetic than Bryan Bulaga's baboon heart or whatever the hell that internet rumor got to last year.

Why not ban every post from this website if we're banning Wegher discussion because it's "speculation?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts