NIT Bubble Watch

In the end, I think we make NIT this time around. Unless we have real bad luck with auto-bids snatching up available spots.

Just seems to be momentum from varied writer's opinioins, and only the one "NIT-ology" guy doesn't have us in. (But does have Illinois - maybe just playing it safe at this point, and, Iowa is "3 slots away" from being in as of today). I think our out of conf RPI, and overall record can be overlooked when compared to some other teams making it in - just going on our quality wins vs the top 25, and our wins over other B1G teams being considered, and stronger performance at the end of the season.

Hoge: Big Ten Tournament Day 2 – What Happened And What It Means « CBS Chicago
What it means for Iowa: The Hawkeyes have a chance to play in the NIT. A team that greatly improved throughout the season has a chance to build momentum towards next season when they could be dangerous.

Interesting read.
NIT Bracketology: March 10 | Big Apple Buckets

How will the committee treat a team like the Fighting Illini? They’ve fired their coach, are 2-11 in their last 13 games and basically seem to have given up on the season. Why should they get a bid? In this latest version of my NIT bracket they don’t.

NIT Bracket:

1. Marshall
8. Valparaiso
4. Minnesota
5. Ohio
3. Middle Tennessee State
6. Iowa
2. Saint Joseph’s
7. Colorado

The issue with this projection is that Northwestern isn't listed. I don't think NW makes it into the NCAAs this year with their loss in the Big10 tournament. That would push them into the NIT. Minny is currently projected as a 4 seed and Iowa a 6. I doubt that the NIT will take 3 teams from the Big10 which means Iowa is going to get left out unless something crazy happens today.

The issue with this projection is that Northwestern isn't listed. I don't think NW makes it into the NCAAs this year with their loss in the Big10 tournament. That would push them into the NIT. Minny is currently projected as a 4 seed and Iowa a 6. I doubt that the NIT will take 3 teams from the Big10 which means Iowa is going to get left out unless something crazy happens today.

They took 3 teams from the Big 12 last year. I don't see why they wouldn't take three from the Big Ten especially when the conference will likely "only" get six teams into NCAAs.

As far as crazy things happening today, the only things that can happen today are things that hurt Iowa's chances. If they aren't in as of now, they aren't going. I think they are in and that the NIT take Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa. Illinois stays home.

UMass is probably a lock for the NIT. Let hope they beat St. Bona, cuz I think the Bonnies get in to the NIT with a win.

If make the NIT its almost assured we host a first round game.
I think someone posted that seeds 1-4 in NIT host games, and 5-8 are on road...if we are wringing our hands of being on the NIT bubble, might be a stretch to think Iowa would be a 1-4 seed?

It was my understanding that you have to bid to get a home game. Barta said he made an aggrrsivrc bid. That won't guarantee a spot, but. if they do get in it would make a home game likely

If make the NIT its almost assured we host a first round game.
I think someone posted that seeds 1-4 in NIT host games, and 5-8 are on road...if we are wringing our hands of being on the NIT bubble, might be a stretch to think Iowa would be a 1-4 seed?

It was my understanding that you have to bid to get a home game. Barta said he made an aggrrsivrc bid. That won't guarantee a spot, but. if they do get in it would make a home game likely

The days of bidding for home games came to an end when the NCAA took over. It's all seed based unless there is a conflict with the venue.

The days of bidding for home games came to an end when the NCAA took over. It's all seed based unless there is a conflict with the venue.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that contradicts what our AD said. Id like to think he understands what's going on.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that contradicts what our AD said. Id like to think he understands what's going on.

From an NIT article this year....

A few words about the tournament: This is not your renegade uncle's NIT. The days of matchups and home sites mysteriously falling out of the sky before each round ended when the NCAA took it over in 2005. There are selection procedures, seeding and bracketing similar to the NCAA tournament - even the ol' "S-curve" comes into play.

In the first three rounds, the higher seeds have the opportunity to host games, and perceived crowd support is not part of the criteria, like in the old days.

The RPI is very confusing but from what I understand you are better off playing at Kansas and getting blown out than playing Chicago State at home and winning.

Losing on the Road has a 0.6 factor applied
Losing on Neutral court is 1
Losing at Home is a 1.4 factor

The opposite for winning:

Winning on the Road has a 1.4 factor applied
Winning on Neutral Court is 1
Winning at Home is 0.6 factor

So losing to Kansas at home hurts you 2.3 times more than losing on the road.
Winning on the road helps 2.3 times more than winning at home.

You obviously don't know the RPI formula.

I know the RPI formula very well. You obviously don't.

25% of it is your won-lost percentage
50% of it is your opponents' won-lost percentage
25% of it is your opponents' opponents' won-lost percentage

How your wins and losses are distributed throughout your schedule doesn't matter at all as far as RPI is concerned. That's why the selection committee doesn't go strictly by RPI.

edit: I should clarify that road wins are treated more favorably than home wins, but if, for example, you play two road games, one against a bad team and one against a good team, and you go 1-1, it doesn't matter wihch team you beat and which team you lose to.

Last edited:
They do a press release pretty quick after the NCAA field is announced. They'll have everything penciled in with placeholders for the bubble NCAA teams, and then fill those spots with whoever is left out. We'll know fairly early tomorrow night.

As of this morning, nitology.com has minny and illinois in, iowa out. rpi over head to head...nuts.

That is just one sportswriter's opinion, and he is sticking pretty rigidly to RPI. I don't think the committee will do the same, and I think Iowa will be in rather than Illinois.

Latest posts