Next ISU basketball coach

Just wait til Kane, Ejim, and White all sign with da Bulls now.

I think Freddie showed his dedication, devotion and commitment when he took the Bulls Job. Ain't nobody "moving on up" with George, Weezie, and Freddie Boy.

I know that the players they lost, made Jamie Pollard lose his ever loving mind, so much so he gave us that idiotic hypocritical diatribe of his, lecturing kids about "commitment". You just gotta love the hypocrites who lecture all day long, and as soon as it is convenient for them, they do exactly that which they lamented over earlier. This couldn't have happened to a bigger hypocrite in Jamie Pollard who reaped what he sowed with Transfers, and found out what "commitment" really is with Freddie Boy (it is leaving as soon as you can....)

I think he was defending McD since he didn't want to fire him with that diatribe, and it was stupid, but it was calculated.

I think Freddie showed his dedication, devotion and commitment when he took the Bulls Job. Ain't nobody "moving on up" with George, Weezie, and Freddie Boy.

Ehhhhh, man I don't know if anyone under the age of 35 will get the 'The Jeffersons' reference.

Is he really that great of a recruiter? He was the one who got Niang, Thomas and Nick N. but who else? Fran also was in on Niang and he is not viewed as a great recruiter, not close. Recruiters don't make great coaches. Coaches who can get great recruiters on staff is the key. Iowa is missing that recruiter.

Ejim
Brackins
Garrett
Naz
Chistopherson
Many of the first wave of transfers

Anybody ISU hires is going to be a roll of the dice. I'd rather take the chance on the guy who knows Ames and can get players.

I dont Understand the fascination with Pollard.
Basketball: 2 hires, one failure and one success but the success fell in his lap and then broke his heart. Literally.
Football: ran off the most successful coach ever and then two failed hires.
Wrestling: lost the golden boy to Pedo U, and I don't think they are good now.

Heck, even in women's sports he inherited the coaches.

The guy put up a billboard and cy fans are eternally grateful.

And if he has to run Rhoads in December between basketball and football that will be 7 coaches in a 5 year timespan.

Ejim
Brackins
Garrett
Naz
Chistopherson
Many of the first wave of transfers

Anybody ISU hires is going to be a roll of the dice. I'd rather take the chance on the guy who knows Ames and can get players.

So one big time recruit, Brackins, the rest of the guys were a bunch of two and three star recruits.

Whoever comes in next as their coach is facing high expectations especially in the short term. Not all head coaching candidates are going to jump into that opportunity (little upside/significant downside) especially with a program that has been built with a unique approach of using so many transfers. Not sure there are that many coaching prospects out there that have much experience or connections to be able to maintain ISU's transfer pipeline and the reputation associated it.............it's grown to become a brand.

Otzelberger seems like the best fit for trying to continue their transfer success. A proven strong recruiter, especially in the head coach position, would be a smart move in my opinion.

So one big time recruit, Brackins, the rest of the guys were a bunch of two and three star recruits.

Correct, or you could say 3 NBA players, a conference player of the year, two of the top 3 point shooters in the history of the program in a system that utilizes their skills, etc.

Correct, or you could say 3 NBA players, a conference player of the year, two of the top 3 point shooters in the history of the program in a system that utilizes their skills, etc.

I could but I don't like to make **** up. So TJ brings in average recruits that never developed under McDermott but turned into solid players under Fred. I'm sure the head coach had nothing to do with that, it was all the awesome recruiting of TJ. TJ had Garrett for three years and he was nothing special at all until Hoiberg showed up, what a coincidence. Did TJ recruit Matt Thomas, Custer, SDW, Sledge or any of the other numerous busts at ISU?

TJ was going to interview for the Northern Kentucky head job and now he's going to end up coaching ISU, this is classic Clone **** haha.

Did you mean WNBA?

Brackins had a cup of coffee in the NBA and now plays in Turkey.
Ejim didn't even get a cup of water in the NBA.
Garrett is in the NBADL
Christopherson is thugging it up somewhere that isn't the NBA. No idea where.
Naz is still in college and I highly doubt he makes it.

Heck, Todd Lickliter recruited more NBA players than that.

Last edited:
What is imported talking about? "He wasn't into developing a program?" After 5 years (4 straight NCAA appearances), he leaves a program that is preseason top 10. How is this a sign that he wasnt into developing a program?? The program is developed and ripe for the next coach to take a very very prime job with the talent on his roster.

i'm 45 - i think the comparisons are apples and oranges. and i don't buy the 'he couldn't take the pressure of iowa city-fishbowl'. but that is another thread.

fred used the clownz. he loves the nba. came to ames from the nba. told folly he was going back to the nba. this is no secret.

so - now he's going back to the nba. and this should be no surprise to anyone given that is what he is said to have wanted all along.

fred's style of recruiting even pointed to him wanting to prove he could 'win quick' - he wasn't into developing a program - moreso taking free agents and building a team that way. so that is why he took all these misfits instead of recruiting freshmen and developing a program.

and the clownz loved it because the mayor was doing it for them - to build isu into a power - blah, blah, blah.....fred was doing it for himself, and used iowa state to further his cause.

What is imported talking about? "He wasn't into developing a program?" After 5 years (4 straight NCAA appearances), he leaves a program that is preseason top 10. How is this a sign that he wasnt into developing a program?? The program is developed and ripe for the next coach to take a very very prime job with the talent on his roster.

The team is rip for THIS YEAR, but that is it. Freddie spent the last 2 years recruiting players that would help him get to the NBA quickly, there is NOTHING LEFT after this year.

Ask Bryce, I started asking this question awhile ago. WTF has Da Mayor been doing these past 2 years recruiting wise? I think he has known for a looooong time now that this year was the jump to the NBA year. I told Bryce before Freddie Boy was even reported to be leaving that I'd be pizzed that he was recruiting like that. Now it makes sense, he was all about getting a NBA gig, ISU can go suck a fat one as McCabe would say.

He didnt build anything. He used a rent a player system that would help him get to the NBA as fast as possible. After next year, that cupboard is bare

He didnt build anything. He used a rent a player system that would help him get to the NBA as fast as possible. After next year, that cupboard is bare

Even mighty Fred wouldn't make the NCAA tournament if he was still coaching there in 2 years. They will be Lickliter bad.

Uhh, look no further than the Iowa roster to see what a ridiculous statement that is. After next year, the Iowa cupboard is 100% bare. The roster will be loaded with low rated frosh and soph recruits. Is Fran trying to jump to the NBA as fast as possible or is he just doing a bad job recruiting?

Seriously? Did ISU not just sign a 2015 4 star point guard (a position Fran would kill for) three weeks ago? That is following landing a 2014 4 star guard as well. lol Both of these studs were high school recruits, not transfer cast offs. It really sounds like he was phoning it in.

In contrast, what has Fran been doing the past two years, exactly? We desperately needed a PG and C this year, and he signed zero. We desperately needed a 4 star or 5 star difference maker. He signed zero. Rather, he landed a TON of guys who appear to have the exact same skill set who were not exactly hot prospects.

Objectivity. It's not a bad thing.

WTF has Da Mayor been doing these past 2 years recruiting wise? I think he has known for a looooong time now that this year was the jump to the NBA year. I told Bryce before Freddie Boy was even reported to be leaving that I'd be pizzed that he was recruiting like that. Now it makes sense, he was all about getting a NBA gig, ISU can go suck a fat one as McCabe would say.

TJ isn't going anywhere and Pollard search committee will take their time in looking for prominent coach. Some of you guys think you just get a phone call, show up at a meeting and sign a contract. So many logistics involved with their families etc. Good time of the year to take their time and not be in a hurry. Georges is a strong leader as a player and will help keep those guys together until a coach is selected.

Latest posts