NEW FORUM: HN Extra

Wow, can't handle folks with opposing opinions, or what you are calling "trolls"? Sounds like some snowflakey ish right there.

I love debate. Relish it. I don't love folks who are disrespectful and detract from the user experience of those who would like to engage in adult convo's, or those, some in this thread, who really don't care what we do and just want to stir the pot. And judging by the first 48 hours of this addition, a lot of others apparently fee similarly....many people posting for the first time on this site after years of lurking, because of trollsport ruining the free boards. So, I'm good. Thanks for checking in tho.

I love debate. Relish it. I don't love folks who are disrespectful and detract from the user experience of those who would like to engage in adult convo's, or those, some in this thread, who really don't care what we do and just want to stir the pot. And judging by the first 48 hours of this addition, a lot of others apparently fee similarly....many people posting for the first time on this site after years of lurking, because of trollsport ruining the free boards. So, I'm good. Thanks for checking in tho.
Me too, hopefully the proletariat board will be a place where all us non-company line folks can continue our conversations.

For what its worth, I am going to visit Hawkeye Nation in this order: First, I will read or listen to articles/podcasts that are interesting to me. Secondly, I will look at "alerts" and follow up on them. Third, I will go to the non-paid version of discussions and respond or not, dependent on my interest (btw, I just posted on the QB situation over on the regular board). Fourth, I will go to this board and explore, post sometimes, etc. If, after a year, I don't think I am getting anything different from this paid site, I might let it go. Or, I might just pay for another year to support Jon's business. Money well spent.

So am I one who is just stirring the pot? I hope not. I've just given my honest opinion. Which I always do. I've been a long time supporter of this board. Given it thousands upon thousands of views, and posts. I hope I'm not getting lumped into a "stir the pot" category simply because I'm not a fan of this decision.

So am I one who is just stirring the pot? I hope not. I've just given my honest opinion. Which I always do. I've been a long time supporter of this board. Given it thousands upon thousands of views, and posts. I hope I'm not getting lumped into a "stir the pot" category simply because I'm not a fan of this decision.
I don't think you're stirring the pot. There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion that is different than everyone else's. If everyone agreed with each other it wouldn't be a discussion. What's the point then?

I realize that some people seem to get really irritated when someone does express an opinion different than their own. They are called trolls or told they are whining. I just ignore those that irritate me.

As far as lurking, I've been lurking because I forgot my password. Didn't even realize I had been logged out! Ha! Finally reset my password. It's also difficult to come here and get "redirected" or get the "congratulations! Your phone is a winner..." and then have your browser lock up and have to close and reopen. Not to mention the "the page had to be reloaded" message! Good lord! This is the fifth time I've retyped this! This doesn't happen at other sites and makes the experience less than enjoyable. Maybe that will be different if you're on the pay board.

Your posts were all courteous. The ones that ridiculed you for your opinion are the ones I would assume won't be allowed on the pay board. Or maybe you can ridicule as long as you share the same opinion as those doing the banning.

Your posts were all courteous. The ones that ridiculed you for your opinion are the ones I would assume won't be allowed on the pay board. Or maybe you can ridicule as long as you share the same opinion as those doing the banning.
This is the problem with the "troll free" board. "Internet Troll" is such a subjective term. Everyone has their own idea or definition of a "troll". Unless guidelines are defined, you could get banned for saying anything that a mod doesn't like without a refund.

Thanks to the above 3 ^. I agree with everything that was said. Specifically regarding the troll part. It's 100% subjective. Even when it's obvious someone is a troll and everyone agrees on that, like 5656, they've been allowed to troll on for months upon months.

I wasn't aiming at you....but....If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs and one yelps, is that the one you meant to hit?

I don't think you're stirring the pot. There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion that is different than everyone else's. If everyone agreed with each other it wouldn't be a discussion. What's the point then?

I realize that some people seem to get really irritated when someone does express an opinion different than their own. They are called trolls or told they are whining. I just ignore those that irritate me.

As far as lurking, I've been lurking because I forgot my password. Didn't even realize I had been logged out! Ha! Finally reset my password. It's also difficult to come here and get "redirected" or get the "congratulations! Your phone is a winner..." and then have your browser lock up and have to close and reopen. Not to mention the "the page had to be reloaded" message! Good lord! This is the fifth time I've retyped this! This doesn't happen at other sites and makes the experience less than enjoyable. Maybe that will be different if you're on the pay board.

Let's be honest here, you don't really care about the well being of this website. And frankly, I tire of your ruse.

This is the problem with the "troll free" board. "Internet Troll" is such a subjective term. Everyone has their own idea or definition of a "troll". Unless guidelines are defined, you could get banned for saying anything that a mod doesn't like without a refund.

And yet look around, there are very few bannings here.

I know a troll when I see a troll, if I see it...and they'll get the boot. If that's not you, don't worry about it.

And yet look around, there are very few bannings here.
Which is one of the reasons you are starting a new premium board. Why not be tougher on "trolling" on the free site?
I know a troll when I see a troll, if I see it...and they'll get the boot.
This proves my point. You know a "troll" when you see it, but that's not something that you, or Rob, or whoever else can sit down and define. Look, I have no problem with you refusing service to anyone. It's your business and you can do that. What I do have a problem with is asking me to pay for something and then not giving me a refund if I'm banned for something that is only defined in your mind.
If that's not you, don't worry about it.
I won't worry because that's not me, and I'm not going to pay for the site.

No you are not..

Fantastic. Sounds like we're all set.
Need to be able to upvote this more... plus do you really think that you make one somewhat questionable comment and your're just going to get insta-perma banned with no refund? I would doubt it. They will probably let you know if you are doing something inappropriate and/or unallowed on the forum in order for you to change how you are conducting yourself.

I dont disagree with you at all, and I would love this. The reality...traffic likely drops 75%, along with revenues. Just being transparent here.

But one day, before I kick the bucket, I want to have a forum just like that ;)
This would be like the secret room the A-List celebs get to hang out in in the clubs. The velvet rope behind the velvet rope. Very high brow, Jon. Let me know when that happens. Will it come with free Cristal or Martini and Rossi?

Need to be able to upvote this more... plus do you really think that you make one somewhat questionable comment and your're just going to get insta-perma banned with no refund?
Ummmm
TROLL FREE: Trolls typically don't pay money to access premium forums. If someone were to do that, we will gladly keep their payment and then promptly ban them without reentry or refund.
Yes, for some strange reason I do.

Last edited:

Latest posts