New Basketball Arena

Complaining about Carver is nothing new here and it isn't a product of a losing season. I've been to plenty games and the game I attended with the best crowd was for an NIT game.

I have also been to a couple NIT games over the years and by far was my best experience at Carver. Last years crowd was fantastic and showed what it "could" be like. I saw a lot of family's and your "non-traditional" people at Carver for that game.

The seats for the majority of the fans suck. And I mean really suck. No drink holders, shoe-horned in, hard plastic torture devices. They need to be replaced with something less 80s-Chevy-Cavalier-like.

I always thought they needed a free coat check up top somewhere you can drop your coat off at because in the winter with everyone trying to squeeze large coats in the seats also it gets really annoying. The seats almost tend to tip back too, have to squirm out of them...its hard to explain but not your normal stadium seat.

Oh please. The problem has never been the design of the arena. It's a combination of the product on the floor and the nature of the fans in the seats. No new arena will change either of those.

Oh please. The problem has never been the design of the arena. It's a combination of the product on the floor and the nature of the fans in the seats. No new arena will change either of those.

True, agree with you to a point, but there are things they can do to make the current one more fan friendly and a better experience for everyone.

"Barta has yet to set a timetable for the second phase, which he said “is a little more visionary.” Plans are to create an atrium, a lobby and a front entrance for fans where the school can display its history. There’s also potential for club seating areas."

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-plans-for-major-carver-hawkeye-renovation-20160308

There is supposed to be a phase two but it doesn't sound anything ground breaking. I think the Kinnick renovation took precedent. Hopefully after Kinnick is done they come up with something good for Carver. It needs more than just club seating.

A big problem with the design is that the concourse is essentially an extension of the stands. At Hilton or Wells Fargo or any typical arena the concourse is outside on its own and walled off from the arena keeping the sound trapped in.

I have also been to a couple NIT games over the years and by far was my best experience at Carver. Last years crowd was fantastic and showed what it "could" be like. I saw a lot of family's and your "non-traditional" people at Carver for that game.

NIT games is proof that it's the makeup of the crowd during the season that is the problem. It's the majority of season ticket holders that are from the glory days 30 years ago. The product since then hasn't earned new generations of loyal fans so it's half full of the loyal old fans with some younger people sprinkled in.

NIT games is proof that it's the makeup of the crowd during the season that is the problem. It's the majority of season ticket holders that are from the glory days 30 years ago. The product since then hasn't earned new generations of loyal fans so it's half full of the loyal old fans with some younger people sprinkled in.

Not entirely true. The university opens up the lower seating during the NIT to the public. I sat around row 12 at the free throw line last year NIT. This area is for employee of UofI during the regular season. My regular seats are behind the baseline. Everyone was louder because season ticket holders who dont donate had great seats. Here's to hoping Iowa makes a run for the NIT this year.

I could maybe see some kind of major remodel to Carver if it costs significantly less than building a brand new one 'and' the new smaller arena in Coralville is up & running so other sports have somewhere to use.

When is the smaller arena supposed be done?

Not entirely true. The university opens up the lower seating during the NIT to the public. I sat around row 12 at the free throw line last year NIT. This area is for employee of UofI during the regular season. My regular seats are behind the baseline. Everyone was louder because season ticket holders who dont donate had great seats. Here's to hoping Iowa makes a run for the NIT this year.

I feel like you basically said the same thing I said. Am I missing something?

u7yRVhV.gif

Oh the boys are playing a bit to daft for my liking today Betty. But Sharm dress so dapper and I think the Fran's boys are quite swell aren't they. I concur Gretchen.

Lol, too funny.

. . . . The product since then hasn't earned new generations of loyal fans so it's half full of the loyal old fans with some younger people sprinkled in.

Last response was while I was at work, may have rushed it. Elaborating, i think there's more to the lower attendance then just the teams record. UofI has to agree that there's a problem & want to make changes. I dont see that happening. Don't think they truely care.

It would be interesting to see the facts on the fan attendance. Age, distance & seat of each ticket. Weekday & weekends.

Who cares about a new arena? The product is hot garbage and the AD is a Clown car posse reject. I'll not grace CHA again until the head Clown is gone.

Latest posts