New Basketball Arena

I remember the first time I saw Carver in person from the outside i was completely confused at what the hell I was looking at.

The Fieldhouse opened in 1927 and Carver opened in 1983. So math says the next stadium is coming in 2039. Mark your calendars

They could use the space at the baselines for quilting parties
Quilting-Library-of-Congress-1170x680.jpg

You know you've seen these ladies at the game.
Check out the guns

saw that all over twitter. Bigger question - how does the Iowa camera crew let that shit go on the big screen?

saw that all over twitter. Bigger question - how does the Iowa camera crew let that shit go on the big screen?
Somebody said it was actually well before the game started, so it was taken out of context. Even if that's true, wtf seriously?

I actually like the stadium, when you have a NIT crowd the place can rock. The problem is the regular fans are quiet and polite. The lack of home court advantage is the result of an older fan base that just is there to socialize and be seen[/B]. The really good crowds are fans that don't get to see the Hawks very often due to distance.
I'm hearing the crowd vs. Colorado was the best of the year. I live in Dubuque and it's not feasible to go to 8pm games on a workday. If you look around at college basketball the best teams have a great student section. Most of Iowa's students seem to have better things to do. I stop here as to not get political.
Truer words have never been written on this board. But those folks have the $ and time to go... With rising prices and 6 pm and 8 pm start times neither of which are conducive to any normal working folks with families it pretty much is what it is... I tend to enjoy my couch, 72 inch TV and no line to the bathroom and no traffic to drive through on my way to my bedroom after.

Of course, anyone who uses this as evidence of the interest of the fanbase at Carver is outed as someone not actually ever going to Carver, as one who goes to Carver knows this is done as a gag, well before the game starts. Note the record and time at the bottom - that's the longest time someone has been on camera before looking up at the big screen and noticing they're being "watched". It's often showing someone staring at their phone.

It's not to say the crowds at Carver can't be better and do better at the games, but using this photo/tweet as what the crowds are like as the game is underway, as the message under the photo suggests, is, dare I say it, "fake news".

Of course, anyone who uses this as evidence of the interest of the fanbase at Carver is outed as someone not actually ever going to Carver, as one who goes to Carver knows this is done as a gag, well before the game starts. Note the record and time at the bottom - that's the longest time someone has been on camera before looking up at the big screen and noticing they're being "watched". It's often showing someone staring at their phone.

It's not to say the crowds at Carver can't be better and do better at the games, but using this photo/tweet as what the crowds are like as the game is underway, as the message under the photo suggests, is, dare I say it, "fake news".
I live about 900 miles from Iowa City. That being said, the pic is real no matter when it was taken. I don't care if it was 2 hours before the match/game, who brings a novel with them to Carver?o_O

I live about 900 miles from Iowa City. That being said, the pic is real no matter when it was taken. I don't care if it was 2 hours before the match/game, who brings a novel with them to Carver?o_O
So it's the bringing of a book to the game that is offensive, not the suggestion that this is what the crowd is doing while the game is going on, as promoted in the tweet?

Look, I'm not defending Carver crowds at all costs, they can be a lot better, and the UI can do more in my estimation to make it a better homecourt (as my other posts in this thread provide), but this photo is not what it purports to be.

So it's the bringing of a book to the game that is offensive, not the suggestion that this is what the crowd is doing while the game is going on, as promoted in the tweet?

Look, I'm not defending Carver crowds at all costs, they can be a lot better, and the UI can do more in my estimation to make it a better homecourt, but this photo is not what it purports to be.

Is that guy even awake?

Something like OSU’s arena would be cool. You’d have to dig out the existing seats and rework the entire bowl but it could be done. Students would sit in the lower bowl to create a better atmosphere.

93598680.S2ETxjXs.jpg

Something like OSU’s arena would be cool. You’d have to dig out the existing seats and rework the entire bowl but it could be done. Students would sit in the lower bowl to create a better atmosphere.

93598680.S2ETxjXs.jpg
I agree. Something should be done and if it eliminates a couple thousand seats, so what?

Arena holds what 15,500? It would be interesting to know what we have averaged the past 15 seasons. I would be surprised if it is even 12,000. More students. More noise. Better environment for everyone.

More likely though, Barta removes upper seats to build 'luxury boxes'. Same old crap for common folk. You know warmed over and overpriced concession crap while big donors get that warmed over HyVee catered crap. Oh wait!

You know it is not really the common fan athletic departments care about or rely on anymore. Fat Cats and television $$$. See additional future Kinnick luxury boxes and B1G $$$ while the rest of us sit sideways in our bleacher seats so Fat Marv can use his 18" seat width and 16" of ours too. Thank G he makes multiple visits to the concession stand to get that warmed over crap. o_O

Even living in Des Moines the desire to drive out to Iowa City during the week for an 8 pm game is very low regardless of how well the team is doing. Getting back at midnight is not fun when you have to work the next morning. Plus if the team loses then that drive is extra terrible.

Speaking from experience they need a better system for the students after the game is over. There would be one CamBus for a thousand students. Your choice was to wait for the next bus and hope you can somehow get on it, or else walk back. I lived on Dodge my senior year and walking from Carver all the way to Dodge Street in the middle of winter suuuuuucked. If it was 5 degrees it was hard to convince myself to go out there knowing I would have to either walk back or wait in the cold forever for a bus.

The walk from some of the far lots can be horrible too on the brutally cold nights. I thought I was going to die a couple years ago vs. Michigan when it was -20 wind chills. They need some sort of shuttle buses running back and forth constantly before and after game time to drop people off and pick them up. Not to mention the handicap and elderly can't make that walk.

The walk from some of the far lots can be horrible too on the brutally cold nights. I thought I was going to die a couple years ago vs. Michigan when it was -20 wind chills. They need some sort of shuttle buses running back and forth constantly before and after game time to drop people off and pick them up. Not to mention the handicap and elderly can't make that walk.

See above post. Shell out some serious cash and they will kindly let you park at the dental college I bet. But yes that sight was never going to be ideal for parking.

Look, I'm not defending Carver crowds at all costs, they can be a lot better, and the UI can do more in my estimation to make it a better homecourt (as my other posts in this thread provide), but this photo is not what it purports to be.
Lol, you really like to argue.

See above post. Shell out some serious cash and they will kindly let you park at the dental college I bet. But yes that sight was never going to be ideal for parking.

Yes, just saying... if they want people to come to mid-week games in January there are things they could do to help a little. Would be easy to have a couple small shuttles just going back and forth.

Latest posts